CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
The Big Wet of 2013

Wow

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got home from a long 9-hour drive originating in southern Illinois.  Rain began to fall on I-24 when I hit the KY/TN border.  It pretty much didn't let up until just shy of Knoxville on I-40.  Then rain began again once I reached the mountains and let up on the other side of Old Fort Mt on I-40.  I'm thankful to be back home safe and sound.

Checking the Vantage Vue for the IMBY stats, I see that I ended up with 11.07 inches of rain for June, and I've accumulated 3.90 inches of rain IMBY since the beginning of July (1.84 inches today alone).  It's wet, but we all knew that.

:loon: :loon: :loon:

Up to 4.82" and pouring again...wish I could share the wealth or hold it till winter.

glad i saw this - i wanted to post but was feeling sorta bad since it seems a LOT of posters are missing out and thought they would be in the middle of the rain.

its absolutely pouring here in gullywashers - and a lot more thunder/lightning since about mid afternoon than before.  tried to take the dog out and she refused haha.  the driveway and front yard have about 2" sitting on them and the winds have picked up some.  power flickered a few times but so far its still on (knock on wood haha).

radar looks impressive for at least a little while.  hopefully everyone will soon get in and share the wet :)  for a while it was coming in batches or waves but since this afternoon its been dark and pouring pretty much non stop.  since we had over a foot of rain in june alone, plus a lot more the last couple of days, i bet the streams and creeks are looking fast and furious lol.  would like to try and get out to see about some pics but the camera or phone would get soaked before i could even click the shutter :)

edited to add: oops forgot the total haha. 3.58" and counting.  just saw this - so am thninking could end up close to 5" by early evening?

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG HAS ISSUED A* FLOOD ADVISORY FOR HEAVY RAINFALL IN...  ELBERT COUNTY IN NORTHEAST GEORGIA...  FRANKLIN COUNTY IN NORTHEAST GEORGIA...  HABERSHAM COUNTY IN NORTHEAST GEORGIA...  HART COUNTY IN NORTHEAST GEORGIA...  STEPHENS COUNTY IN NORTHEAST GEORGIA...  WESTERN RABUN COUNTY IN NORTHEAST GEORGIA...* UNTIL 700 PM EDT* AT 349 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED  THUNDERSTORMS WITH HEAVY RAINFALL ACROSS THE ADVISORY AREA. DOPPLER  RADAR ESTIMATED RAINFALL RATES OF 2 TO 3 INCHES AN HOUR OVER THE  AREA THAT HAVE ALREADY RECEIVED MORE THAN 2 INCHES IN THE PAST 24  HOURS.

Just got home from work at the mall. There was some crazy bursts of rain this afternoon. For those who are familiar with the area. The Tunnel rd was completely flooded & into some buildings around Mack Kells, the gas station, & the waffle house.

I'm honestly surprised it's not even worse. Just constant downpours. 

Sounds like you and I are in the same boat. Band after band of heavy rain continuously miss me and end up hitting the same areas. There's another band of heavy rain to my south, but of course it is headed east of me towards metro atlanta. It looks like your area should get some pretty heavy rain soon. Also, what is up with that gigantic dry slot across the eastern half of AL ?

Yup, these trains ride on HO gage track, so you need to be lucky to have the line through your yard :)  I had a nice little gust front type wave come up the dry slot with side ways rain in some pretty good wind, and some thunder.  Gave me .35 in about 10 minutes as the sky went night time dark.  Now I'm up to 1.15 for the last 5 days. 

Oddly the sun was trying to poke though just before the line hit.  Now I'm back in the slot, but it looks to be trying fill in down stream.  Maybe this evening will be better than the day has been.  Sort of depends on where the tracks shift to next.  I'm surprised the bands aren't over you, but it just goes to show how narrow the tracks are :)  Between you and me is probably only about 50 miles as the crow flies.  T

Edit:  Lol, yeah, 3.5 in 10 minutes would have had me drowned :)

Flash Flood Warning

FLASH FLOOD WARNINGNCC021-050130-/O.NEW.KGSP.FF.W.0030.130704T2137Z-130705T0130Z//00000.0.ER.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.OO/BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTEDFLASH FLOOD WARNINGNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG SC537 PM EDT THU JUL 4 2013THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG HAS ISSUED A* FLASH FLOOD WARNING FOR...  CENTRAL BUNCOMBE COUNTY IN WESTERN NORTH CAROLINA...* UNTIL 930 PM EDT* AT 534 PM EDT...THE PUBLIC REPORTED FLASH FLOODING ACROSS THE  WARNED AREA...ESPECIALLY NORTH ASHEVILLE AREA. DOPPLER RADAR  ESTIMATED AROUND 3 TO 5 INCHES OF RAIN HAS FALLEN IN THE PAST 24  HOURS AND ADDITIONAL 1 TO 2 INCHES ARE POSSIBLE.* SOME LOCATIONS THAT WILL EXPERIENCE FLOODING INCLUDE...DOWNTOWN  ASHEVILLE...ASHEVILLE MALL...AVERY CREEK...BILTMORE FOREST...I-26  AT I-40...LEICESTER...UNC ASHEVILLE...WEAVERVILLE AND WOODFIN.PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...EXCESSIVE RUNOFF FROM HEAVY RAINFALL WILL CAUSE FLOODING OF SMALLCREEKS AND STREAMS...URBAN AREAS...HIGHWAYS...STREETS AND UNDERPASSESAS WELL AS OTHER DRAINAGE AREAS AND LOW LYING SPOTS.A FLASH FLOOD WARNING MEANS THAT FLOODING IS IMMINENT OR OCCURRING.IF YOU ARE IN THE WARNING AREA MOVE TO HIGHER GROUND IMMEDIATELY.RESIDENTS LIVING ALONG STREAMS AND CREEKS SHOULD TAKE IMMEDIATEPRECAUTIONS TO PROTECT LIFE AND PROPERTY. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CROSSSWIFTLY FLOWING WATERS OR WATERS OF UNKNOWN DEPTH BY FOOT OR BYAUTOMOBILE.PLEASE REPORT HIGH WATER...FLOODING...LANDSLIDES OR OTHER SEVEREWEATHER TO THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GREENVILLE SPARTANBURG BYCALLING TOLL FREE...1...800...2 6 7...8 1 0 1...OR BY POSTING ON OURFACEBOOK PAGE...OR TWEET IT USING HASHTAG NWSGSP. YOUR MESSAGE SHOULDDESCRIBE THE EVENT AND THE SPECIFIC LOCATION WHERE IT OCCURRED.&&LAT...LON 3571 8239 3548 8241 3546 8245 3545 8269      3570 8269$$JOH

I'm honestly surprised it's not even worse. Just constant downpours. 

Jason, it's some of the worst I have seen on the N side of town. I haven't been thru Biltmore or the River Arts District but it would be hard pressed to top 2004 in those areas.

http://www.citizen-times.com/article/20130704/NEWS/130704001/Rain-floods-Tunnel-Road-water-rises

Jason, it's some of the worst I have seen on the N side of town. I haven't been thru Biltmore or the River Arts District but it would be hard pressed to top 2004 in those areas.

http://www.citizen-times.com/article/20130704/NEWS/130704001/Rain-floods-Tunnel-Road-water-rises

You're right Don. The news paints a rough picture north. I went to Carrier Park this morning and the French Broad was flowing into the park. I just can't believe how many downpours that we have had. ... and it is starting again as I type. Thunder and lightning with this one.

You're right Don. The news paints a rough picture north. I went to Carrier Park this morning and the French Broad was flowing into the park. I just can't believe how many downpours that we have had. ... and it is starting again as I type. Thunder and lightning with this one.

Ya this flooding has been impressive in it's own kind. one thing that is good is that we have received so much rainfall over a week and not a day.

Made it to AVL. all sunshine today from Roanoke to the NC/TN line on I 26. Literally as soon we crossed into NC the rain and skies just started dumping in Sams Gap. Then it lightened for a bit then coming down towards Mars Hill, it was near zero vis with some of the rain and it rained like that all the way past weaverville. Got a few glimpses of the French Broad River and wow is she ripping.

Only part in SW VA was climbing the plateau from Ironto to Christiansburg, VA and it poured big time there.

Looks like any fireworks show in Maggie Valley or AVL area wont be going off tonight with whats still to come from the upstate SC region into WNC.

Dave come up to Lake Junaluska  man in Haywood County. They say Rain or shine no matter what the fireworks are going off. I quess since they spend thousands of dollars they are like the hell with these going to waist.

Dave come up to Lake Junaluska  man in Haywood County. They say Rain or shine no matter what the fireworks are going off. I quess since they spend thousands of dollars they are like the hell with these going to waist.

Asheville, downtown, still on too for some reason.

Storm total of 5.45" so far with intermittent downpours ongoing. Local lakes are on some roads(Hartwell) and fishing piers on keowee under water. Can't ever recall that before. They were both at full pond or slightly above yesterday. Looks like more to come. Listening to scanner makes feel for those power line workers and emergency services. Non stop calls all day!

2 lines of torrential rainfall have come through Marion in the past 3 hours...dumped about 1.5 inches IMBY and probably didn't rain a total of 30 minutes combined.

Looks to be a third line forming around GSP and a 4th spoke of energy down in East Central GA, that may come up through the Upstate during the overnight.

Over 5 inches storm total now...

2 lines of torrential rainfall have come through Marion in the past 3 hours...dumped about 1.5 inches IMBY and probably didn't rain a total of 30 minutes combined.

Looks to be a third line forming around GSP and a 4th spoke of energy down in East Central GA, that may come up through the Upstate during the overnight.

Over 5 inches storm total now...

That's exactly what they appear to be:  spokes of precip that move counterclockwise up from the gulf and spin around a center located somewhere over the NC mountains.  This most recent line that I mentioned above seemed to run out of gas as it got to MBY.  A couple of minutes of heavy rain and a rumble of thunder or two, but no sign of those 60 mph winds that had occurred downstream, and I only picked up another 0.08 inch of rain.

We bagged the whole thing :lol:  We went to Mellow mushroom and the rain stopped then got heavy and then stopped. You see the pattern lol. So we headed back to our hotel and chillin out instead. Canton is supposed to have their Saturday night, so we may try and see those.

When we did go out after we checked, it downpoured and some T&L here. Wife just came in from the car and it is pouring again and heard some thunder, it may be the drinks she had lol

Asheville, downtown, still on too for some reason.

Yeah lots of soaked people down there.

Archived