CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
The Big Wet of 2013

Wow

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We bagged the whole thing :lol:  We went to Mellow mushroom and the rain stopped then got heavy and then stopped. You see the pattern lol. So we headed back to our hotel and chillin out instead. Canton is supposed to have their Saturday night, so we may try and see those.

When we did go out after we checked, it downpoured and some T&L here. Wife just came in from the car and it is pouring again and heard some thunder, it may be the drinks she had lol

Yeah lots of soaked people down there.

Ya that's what I heard. Nice place if you can stand the smell of the paper mill there. Lol well man have a great time out. Looks like the rain should let up through the night.

Ya that's what I heard. Nice place if you can stand the smell of the paper mill there. Lol well man have a great time out. Looks like the rain should let up through the night.

Thanks Met85. Off to Biltmore in the morning then after that, all depend on mother nature :)

Have a good one and thanks for your input for the local climo, good stuff :)

Thanks Met85. Off to Biltmore in the morning then after that, all depend on mother nature :)

Have a good one and thanks for your input for the local climo, good stuff :)

No prob we have a great bunch down here. This is OT I know but the Biltmore is an all day event man. Should be great with the wife. Nice trails beautiful scenery and great food. Asheville in general is a happening place. Then you can hit the parkway and see some beautiful views. Yall should visit Mount Pisgah.

No prob we have a great bunch down here. This is OT I know but the Biltmore is an all day event man. Should be great with the wife. Nice trails beautiful scenery and great food. Asheville in general is a happening place. Then you can hit the parkway and see some beautiful views. Yall should visit Mount Pisgah.

Yeah you do, I enjoy reading your posts down here from ya'll.  Yeah we will play it by ear, been there once in 1997 or so, it was fun. That was before the Mrs came along :lol:

Anywho back to the wx, took these this evening at Blue Ridge Pkwy and NC 191 near asheville. Looks like there is some sort of park here but you can see the French Broad river was way out of her banks here. sorry for the blurry pics, wife was driving and I was trying not to use the flash

Yeah you do, I enjoy reading your posts down here from ya'll.  Yeah we will play it by ear, been there once in 1997 or so, it was fun. That was before the Mrs came along :lol:

Anywho back to the wx, took these this evening at Blue Ridge Pkwy and NC 191 near asheville. Looks like there is some sort of park here but you can see the French Broad river was way out of her banks here. sorry for the blurry pics, wife was driving and I was trying not to use the flash

attachicon.gifJuly 4 2013 French Broad river at NC 191 and BRP.JPG

attachicon.gifJuly 4 2013 French Broad River flooded at BRP and NC 191.JPG

attachicon.gifJuly 4 2013 French Broad Rvr at BRP and NC 191.JPG

attachicon.gifJuly 4 2013 French Broad Rvr at NC 191 and BRP.JPG

Ya I think that is Carrier Park on Amboy Road if I am not mistaken.

Wow according to the news up to 4 landslides up near Vance Gap Rd in Asheville. Crazy out that way.

Saw on the local news about 5.04" of rain in Asheville the last few days. That's an insane amount of moisture. Saw quite a few trees down around the area. They look recent that they were blown down or a svr storm blew em over

Could be. All I know it was right past the entrance to the blue ridge pkwy on NC 191 just outside of Asheville.

That is the Bent Creek area; I put in the canoe there sometimes but no time in the near future.  Carrier Park is off Amboy Road closer to town and is also subject to flooding by the French Broad.  I have not heard of any flooding problems in Biltmore on the local news but that is subject to change at any time.

That is the Bent Creek area; I put in the canoe there sometimes but no time in the near future.  Carrier Park is off Amboy Road closer to town and is also subject to flooding by the French Broad.  I have not heard of any flooding problems in Biltmore on the local news but that is subject to change at any time.

Ah ya ok my bad. I think that place floods pretty easy also. I am pretty sure Carrier Park is under also but good catch Moonhowl. Any report on the landslides in the area?

Saw on the local news about 5.04" of rain in Asheville the last few days. That's an insane amount of moisture. Saw quite a few trees down around the area. They look recent that they were blown down or a svr storm blew em over

Ya We have had a ton of rain this year especially the last few months. I think AVL is some 20 inches above normal know. That is crazy. I think with more pop up convective storms rolling in the next few days this is going to be a big problem with trees being uprooted by strong winds from these storms. Hope I am wrong but it does not look good.

there you go, I did see something about Bent Creek area.  We drove though the Biltmore village yesterday evening around 7ish and it looked ok, i didnt see any flooding.

Ya We have had a ton of rain this year especially the last few months. I think AVL is some 20 inches above normal know. That is crazy. I think with more pop up convective storms rolling in the next few days this is going to be a big problem with trees being uprooted by strong winds from these storms. Hope I am wrong but it does not look good.

Thats nuts, 20" above norm. Wow!! Yeah any type of pop storms and gusty winds will easily knock over more trees.  I saw a photo of Glass bottom falls??? Something called like that and wow was the water was like Niagara like.

Dave's pics are from a place called Sandy Bottoms. We have had 4.69" so far here in Weaverville. Finally seeing some blue skies this am. Clouds are tinted with red though. :axe:

Ugh the ole saying red sky in the mornind, sailors take warning.    Though radar has a thin line of rain and heavier rain to the east this morning along a line of west of US 321 from west of Gaston to west of Hickory. Maybe around Rutherfordton? and then up towards Boone. Hope it drifts east some, unlikely. Looks a bit drier to the south into the upstate of SC

NWS GSP has just issued a flood warning for the Catawba River system and the chain of lakes that comprise it.  Sounds like it could get pretty rough for all the lakefront property along that river.  I suppose you knowingly acquire that risk when you purchase property along a lakefront, but that's still gotta be pretty rough knowing that your home is in imminent danger of flooding dependent on the whims of the power company(s) that manage(s) the dam releases.

916 AM EDT FRI JUL 5 2013

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG HAS ISSUED A

* FLOOD WARNING FOR...
CENTRAL BURKE COUNTY IN WESTERN NORTH CAROLINA...
CENTRAL MCDOWELL COUNTY IN WESTERN NORTH CAROLINA...
NORTHERN CATAWBA COUNTY IN THE PIEDMONT OF NORTH CAROLINA...
SOUTHEASTERN CALDWELL COUNTY IN WESTERN NORTH CAROLINA...
SOUTHWESTERN ALEXANDER COUNTY IN THE PIEDMONT OF NORTH CAROLINA...
WEST CENTRAL IREDELL COUNTY IN THE PIEDMONT OF NORTH CAROLINA...

* UNTIL 900 PM EDT FRIDAY

* AT 905 AM EDT...LAKE AND RESERVOIR OBSERVATIONS ALONG THE UPPER
CATAWBA RIVER CONTINUED TO REPORT ABOVE FULL POOL ELEVATIONS.
EXCESSIVE RUNOFF AND DAM RELEASES WILL CONTINUE TO CAUSE RISING
LAKE LEVELS FROM LAKE JAMES TO LAKE NORMAN.

* FLOODING OF LOW LYING AREAS IS LIKELY...ESPECIALLY AROUND MOOSE
LODGE CAMPGROUND AND HOUSE BOAT LANE ON LAKE JAMES.
BELOW RHODHISS DAM...WATER WILL APPROACH CATAWBA AVENUE. ON
LOOKOUT SHOALS LAKE...THE CARPENTERS COVE ROAD AREA WILL REMAIN
FLOODED.

Jonathan, you know what folks say about a show off?  Here I am riding the dry slot for a 3rd day, and you are showing reports of copious rains....it's unseemly, lol.  I'm still at 1.15 for 6 days work now.  T

Haha!  I didn't intend it as a slam against the southern GA peeps, Tony.  In fact, I'd be supportive of a moratorium on rain here in WNC for a couple of days so that I can finish staining the deck.  (Man, I'm starting to sound like Brick, aren't I?)  I hereby decree that all rain destined for MBY be rerouted to Moleville, GA, for the next 3 days.

I now have 5.09 inches of rain IMBY for the month of July.  At this rate, I'll finish out around 31 inches for the entire month and shatter all records!  (Small sample size caveats do not apply for statements full of hyperbole!)

Haha! I didn't intend it as a slam against the southern GA peeps, Tony. In fact, I'd be supportive of a moratorium on rain here in WNC for a couple of days so that I can finish staining the deck. (Man, I'm starting to sound like Brick, aren't I?) I hereby decree that all rain destined for MBY be rerouted to Moleville, GA, for the next 3 days.

I now have 5.09 inches of rain IMBY for the month of July. At this rate, I'll finish out around 31 inches for the entire month and shatter all records! (Small sample size caveats do not apply for statements full of hyperbole!)

tony doesn't live in southern ga

South of Atlanta is southern GA in my book.   :)

Edit:  Here's a map (in the style of our old pal WilkesboroDude) that gives my geographical interpretation of the state of GA.  Please forgive an outsider's viewpoint, but south of I-20 is south GA:

I guess it's all relative, I consider Macon southward is S. GA and I-20 down to Macon Central GA.

Archived