Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Cut-Off Woes Next Few Days

CT Rain

Sort of like the 6 county long QLCS tornado warnings they get down south? Lol

Question for you... Yesterday I had box and okx 88d up and the couplet showed up much more clearly on box than okx exen though they were sampling the storm at almost the exact same altitude/distance from radar. Any idea why that would be?

perhaps storm motion? 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

perhaps storm motion? 

That's what I was thinking... but if you are sampling a mesocyclone shouldn't it appearance on radar be the same regardless of where radar is located? A squall line or something it will depend on whether the radar is located and storm movement but something that's spinning around shouldn't matter? 

Sort of like the 6 county long QLCS tornado warnings they get down south? Lol

Question for you... Yesterday I had box and okx 88d up and the couplet showed up much more clearly on box than okx exen though they were sampling the storm at almost the exact same altitude/distance from radar. Any idea why that would be?

perhaps storm motion? 

Yeah, if they're at the same height it's got to be either storm motion or timing.  The spinups probably didn't last too long, so even 1-2 minutes difference in when the low beam hit that area could be significant.

That's what I was thinking... but if you are sampling a mesocyclone shouldn't it appearance on radar be the same regardless of where radar is located? A squall line or something it will depend on whether the radar is located and storm movement but something that's spinning around shouldn't matter? 

In theory that's right, although I'm not 100% certain if you can make the assumption of perfect symmetry.  The only other thing that comes to mind might be where the azimuths stopped.  In other words, because of the width of the gates at that distance from the radar, one radar may have had an azimuth pointing directly at the center of the rotation, in which case the positive and negative velocities could be averaging with each other in the same voxel.  Another radar may have had the edge of the azimuth stop and the next start near the center, in which case the gate to gate difference would be more pronounced.  Oversampling does tend to correct for this, but depending on how wide the circulation was, it could still be the case.

Does anyone know if you can report tree damage retroactively?  My wife reported numerous branches and trees down in Scitico (part of Enfield, CT) and I saw media reporting from there yesterday along with what I saw this morning.  It's right in line where the tornadic cell would have passed, though it was not on the ground at that point and I didn't see that damage reported in the LSR.

Could is also be an issue of attenuation from precip? I don't remember how radar looked, but is it possible that one beam was affected more by rain vs the other?

As long as there's any signal the Doppler velocities are unaffected by attenuation.  Just the reflectivity magnitudes that suffer, and also ZDR which is a power based measurement.

In theory that's right, although I'm not 100% certain if you can make the assumption of perfect symmetry.  The only other thing that comes to mind might be where the azimuths stopped.  In other words, because of the width of the gates at that distance from the radar, one radar may have had an azimuth pointing directly at the center of the rotation, in which case the positive and negative velocities could be averaging with each other in the same voxel.  Another radar may have had the edge of the azimuth stop and the next start near the center, in which case the gate to gate difference would be more pronounced.  Oversampling does tend to correct for this, but depending on how wide the circulation was, it could still be the case.

Yeah that makes sense... this is what I was thinking as well. Can't guarantee the rotation is symmetrical and the resolution of the individual gates.

Does anyone know if you can report tree damage retroactively?  My wife reported numerous branches and trees down in Scitico (part of Enfield, CT) and I saw media reporting from there yesterday along with what I saw this morning.  It's right in line where the tornadic cell would have passed, though it was not on the ground at that point and I didn't see that damage reported in the LSR.

We actually got a report of that last night as well. It is in line of where the tornado would have gone.

We actually got a report of that last night as well. It is in line of where the tornado would have gone.

I'm not sure what channel I saw the coverage on but I drove through there this morning and the damage is pretty evident and it surprised me that it was not on the LSR and I thought it should for the reason you mentioned.  I've submitted it and noted the date/time as yesterday for what it's worth.

For me this is the summertime equivalent of 1-3 feet and cold and snow straight for weeks and weeks, months and months

absolutely nothing good about this weather, the breaks you claim are infrequent and useless. Mank, mosquitoes, mold. 3M weather. Using. AC makes it chilly not refreshing.

absolutely nothing good about this weather, the breaks you claim are infrequent and useless. Mank, mosquitoes, mold. 3M weather. Using. AC makes it chilly not refreshing.

Agree to the point of violent shaking.

It's gross and it's ruining the joys of summer.

Also, no one is completely immune to mold allergies.

Everyone up here hates it.

The Mountain bike trails are all too wet to ride, hiking is a frustrating muddy adventure, the bugs are horrific in the woods, its not even really warm enough to make you want to go to the swimming holes...cloudy and 70s isn't summer even if the dew is above 60.

Last summer was the best summer in recent memory with dry heat...like days of 90/48 and cobalt blue skies. Folks are already wishing for that again. Sun, heat, and summer vibes with awesome sleeping weather.

This cloudy dank not hot, but humid stuff is not the dream summer. Even the spinner Blizz who writes like everyone enjoys this has to be finding it difficult to find people who are actively enjoying this type of weather. Its not even like its been sunny out, when was the last time New England saw a wall-to-wall sunny day?

Everyone up here hates it.

The Mountain bike trails are all too wet to ride, hiking is a frustrating muddy adventure, the bugs are horrific in the woods, its not even really warm enough to make you want to go to the swimming holes...cloudy and 70s isn't summer even if the dew is above 60.

Last summer was the best summer in recent memory with dry heat...like days of 90/48 and cobalt blue skies. Folks are already wishing for that again. Sun, heat, and summer vibes with awesome sleeping weather.

This cloudy dank not hot, but humid stuff is not the dream summer. Even the spinner Blizz who writes like everyone enjoys this has to be finding it difficult to find people who are actively enjoying this type of weather. Its not even like its been sunny out, when was the last time New England saw a wall-to-wall sunny day?

People are miserable here too. Everyone is complaining to me. There's a reason why no one lives in rain forests.

Archived