• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Cut-Off Woes Next Few Days

CT Rain

BD is making some progression SW. Immediate coastal obs. in New Hampshire are now reporting NE winds and the whole of Maine is enjoying a reprieve from the dank crap. All it will take is just one cell to pop and beachfront locals in Mass should swing over on the outflow.    

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are we certain there won't be a BD into NE/E areas this afternoon?   High resolution visible imagery loop shows that an air mass is rolling and wedging back S along the ME/NH coast, lifting this hazy humid murk and producing an excessively dense llv strata loading behind the boundary.  There is currently a 1028 mb high slipping N of ME, and that combined with our unique topography that so uniquely feeds back into BD phenomenon is kind of a touch-and-go set up to me -- could see leafs on trees start flipping over toward the SW along with flags, bit more than models would suggest. 

Just wonderin...

where's all the heavy rains forecast for today?

Patience ...  If it is going to happen it will take place with destablization/diabatic heating later this afternoon, which has been weak to this point because the area deals with lots of debris/dirty warm sector skies.   There is modest heating taking place, however (LWM is 81/72!).  Where a TCU matures would dumb just incredible silvery air blind choking fall rates in an air mass like this, and given to the stream line nature to the deep layer flow, training would add to that concern.   We just are not there yet.  

You can see the progression nicely on satellite.

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/ne/flash-vis.html

Yup, exactly what I was seeing, too -- it doesn't seem from that image like its stopped coming south.  I dunno, if the NAM is right it will have to stop on dime like...right now.  Newburyport up in NE mass appears to have BD'ed.  

Looking at the last 4 cycles of NAM and BOS has zippo contention with any BD boundary ...  I don't think the Euro had one either.   Ha.  or maybe I missed something.  I'll go check. 

By the way, just want to point something out....  I have been musing over the recent GGEM runs, but this has been very persistent.  This is +594dm heights, and a plume of diurnally charged air that exceeds +20C at 850mb -- it cyclically materializes of SNE during the afternoons from Thursday onwards...   

If it is really 21C at 850mb, with a WSW wind through 576dm thickness and in a cage where heights are half way to the moon, that's going to exceed MOS by a bit.  That's an under-the-forecaster radar blip signaling something uniquely torrid. Considering the antecedent pig moisture anomaly into the region, we'd be talking like 94/75 and heat advisory stuff.   

The GGEM has had this for days worth of runs.  I dunno -- maybe it shouldn't be ignored.  The Euro looks pretty damn hot last night, though it lacks the same panache...probably upper 80s/low/mid 70s DP, so just difficult as opposed to oppressive.  However, it does bring in an episode of Big Heat in the D7-8 range, and I suspect that's an interesting queue considering that the model overcomes a chillier heights signal bias for that particular time range in getting to that solution. 

f72.gif

It does appear this air mass is lifting over that wedge and is towering a tad

Would that not lend credence to the BDF making a bit more progress S & W?  Just thinking aloud.  Is this airmass solid enough to cut through the muck that we have here, driving that warm/moist air upward?

Yup and it should help the BDF's southerly momentum as well since we're getting convection on the cold side of the sfc boundary.

Would that not lend credence to the BDF making a bit more progress S & W?  Just thinking aloud.  Is this airmass solid enough to cut through the muck that we have here, driving that warm/moist air upward?

Think you just answered my question.    Kewl.

Yup and it should help the BDF's southerly momentum as well since we're getting convection on the cold side of the sfc boundary.

Momentous fail on the part of the models ?   I think they did have it as far S as NH/MA border, but coming to a halt there.  TAN's AFD from this morning suggests it it moves slowly N all day    :facepalm:

Yeah just had a heavy shower roll through here. Various fungi are loving this weather around my house. Probably more than wxhype.

Actually just standing outside, the trees off in the distance caught a good gust and since that the air definitely is cooler than just five minutes before.

Yeah, these things get complicated...  We could see a couple heavier cells and/or training help pool a meso-high in "addition" to the BD air mass, and that sort of like repositions it SW with the out flow, but since the governing support for moving the boundary SW is attenuating in time, it's like you have a mock BD.  Meso analysis and certainly sensibly, it becomes impossible to separate the two.  

We'll have to see how this plays out.  I am in Ayer, N of RT 2 in NE Mass, and I'm still safely SW at the moment. 

Momentous fail on the part of the models ?   I think they did have it as far S as NH/MA border, but coming to a halt there.  TAN's AFD from this morning suggests it it moves slowly N all day    :facepalm:

We'll see. 12Z 4km NAM had it getting to about CON around 18Z and then slowly moving northward again by 21Z.

It plowed through CON with no problem a little after 16Z...

METAR KCON 021614Z AUTO 04012G17KT 10SM BKN012 BKN031 OVC050 21/19 A3014 RMK AO2

METAR KCON 021551Z AUTO 14005KT 10SM FEW010 OVC050 25/23 A3014 RMK AO2

RAE1459B18E27 SLP204 P0000 T02500228 =

Since then we have the occasional +SHRA.

We'll see. 12Z 4km NAM had it getting to about CON around 18Z and then slowly moving northward again by 21Z.

It plowed through CON with no problem a little after 16Z...

METAR KCON 021614Z AUTO 04012G17KT 10SM BKN012 BKN031 OVC050 21/19 A3014 RMK AO2

METAR KCON 021551Z AUTO 14005KT 10SM FEW010 OVC050 25/23 A3014 RMK AO2

RAE1459B18E27 SLP204 P0000 T02500228 =

Since then we have the occasional +SHRA.

It may yet be more of a Central NE deal...though perhaps a "micro bust" of sorts for having it down to Newburyport in NE Mass...   LWM to Beverly MA is a good axis for monitoring for these sort of things, and both are still up over 80F/72 DP *(yuck) with SW wind.   

Archived