• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
NNE Summer 2013 Thread

klw

Storm total 1.97" as of 1:20 this aft, with probably 1.25" from 9-noon. Heard one distant rumble. Even though TD remains in the low 60s, it's less sticky than the past two days. Yesterday's low of 64 ranks #3 for mild minima in Sept here, trailing only the 68 and 69 of 9/7-8/1999.

My JJA total was 19.41", about 6.6" above the avg and it sneaks past 2008 for 2nd place, even though August finished 0.2" below avg. The 23.82" in 2009 remains well in front.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I appreciate it guys! Unfortunately I don't have a full manual DLSR to work with yet (I need one bad). It was getting dark so these are grainy as hell. I took them in Battery Park in Burlington VT as the line was crossing the lake. I got lucky and caught lightning a couple of times by way of point and shoot!

post-139-0-34985700-1378171796_thumb.jpg

post-139-0-09377900-1378171814_thumb.jpg

Storm total 2.12" since 3 AM yesterday, only 0.04" overnight so that beautiful line of red either faded or split before it got to my place.  An observer in Hancock, near Ellsworth, reported 5.71" to cocorahs today, with a note that much of it came in a big TS 11P yest to 1A this morning.  We're in the mank so far this morning.

Whoa, I just looked at my point and click to find some nice looking days and an impressively fall-like low temperature for Thursday night. 

03SEP13A.jpg

If our forecast is that low then one would expect those cold locations to be getting down near freezing, and indeed the BTV NWS is talking about it in their discussion:

THE SURFACE HIGH WILL BE OVER THE AREA THURSDAY NIGHT. CLEAR SKIES AND LIGHT WINDS WILL ALLOW FOR GOOD RADIATIONAL COOLING. LOOK FOR LOWS IN MOST AREAS TO RANGE FROM THE MID 30S TO LOWER 40S...BUT SOME SUBFREEZING TEMPS LIKELY IN THE ADIRONDACKS AND NORTHEAST KINGDOM WHERE THERE WILL LIKELY BE FROST/FREEZE ISSUES.

J.Spin, I was also surprised to see temps so low this morning... but if the 850mb temps drop to 0C or lower, it would make sense.  I don't know if there will be any clouds hanging over the mountain as we'll be drying out quickly it seems, but that's even got some slight rime potential at the very summits if we get to like -2C at H85.

I was surprised to see my Stowe 800ft gridpoint as showing a low of 33F on Friday morning.

SKIES WILL BE CLEAR THURSDAY NIGHT AND
THIS COMBINED WITH WINDS BECOMING LIGHT AND VARIABLE AFTER
MIDNIGHT THURSDAY NIGHT WILL ALLOW FOR IDEAL CONDITIONS FOR
RADIATIONAL COOLING. THIS WILL ALLOW TEMPERATURES TO FALL INTO THE
30S LATE THURSDAY NIGHT AND EARLY FRIDAY...WITH TEMPERATURES
FALLING INTO THE 20S IN THE SHELTERED VALLEYS OF THE ADIRONDACKS.

EXPECTING AREAS OF FROST TO FORM AFTER MIDNIGHT THURSDAY NIGHT
INTO EARLY FRIDAY MORNING...ESPECIALLY AWAY FROM LAKE CHAMPLAIN.
IF LATER GUIDANCE CONTINUES TO SHOW THIS TREND...THEN FROST
ADVISORIES MAY BE NEEDED...WITH A POSSIBLE FREEZE WARNING OVER THE
ADIRONDACKS. AGRICULTURAL INTEREST SHOULD PREPARE TO TAKE
PROTECTIVE ACTION TO PROTECT SENSITIVE PLANTS AND CROPS.

J.Spin, I was also surprised to see temps so low this morning... but if the 850mb temps drop to 0C or lower, it would make sense.  I don't know if there will be any clouds hanging over the mountain as we'll be drying out quickly it seems, but that's even got some slight rime potential at the very summits if we get to like -2C at H85.

I was surprised to see my Stowe 800ft gridpoint as showing a low of 33F on Friday morning.

attachicon.gifchilly.jpg

SKIES WILL BE CLEAR THURSDAY NIGHT AND

THIS COMBINED WITH WINDS BECOMING LIGHT AND VARIABLE AFTER

MIDNIGHT THURSDAY NIGHT WILL ALLOW FOR IDEAL CONDITIONS FOR

RADIATIONAL COOLING. THIS WILL ALLOW TEMPERATURES TO FALL INTO THE

30S LATE THURSDAY NIGHT AND EARLY FRIDAY...WITH TEMPERATURES

FALLING INTO THE 20S IN THE SHELTERED VALLEYS OF THE ADIRONDACKS.

EXPECTING AREAS OF FROST TO FORM AFTER MIDNIGHT THURSDAY NIGHT

INTO EARLY FRIDAY MORNING...ESPECIALLY AWAY FROM LAKE CHAMPLAIN.

IF LATER GUIDANCE CONTINUES TO SHOW THIS TREND...THEN FROST

ADVISORIES MAY BE NEEDED...WITH A POSSIBLE FREEZE WARNING OVER THE

ADIRONDACKS. AGRICULTURAL INTEREST SHOULD PREPARE TO TAKE

PROTECTIVE ACTION TO PROTECT SENSITIVE PLANTS AND CROPS.

Excuse me while I go cry myself to sleep.

Cool visual sat image this morning

Pretty cool indeed – that is a very sharp line of clearing, even close up.  I got to watch it pass through the Burlington area this morning, and now I can see it off to the southeast right along the spine of the Greens.  I suspect you’ll get to see it in person off to the east in your neck of the woods if you haven’t already.

On a related note, our first frost advisories and freeze warnings are up in the area.  The advisories map is below, and I’ve got more information in a post on our website:

http://jandeproductions.com/2011/09/16/frost-and-freeze-alerts-posted-for-vermont/

05SEP13A.jpg

------------------------------------

Also, for those folks that are interested in monitoring the winter weather, ski reports, photographs etc. that we send out during the cold season related to Northern Vermont, we’ve added some new features to our website that allow people to do it through a number of different methods such as Twitter, Tumblr, Facebook, Path, Email, and RSS.  We’ve got a page with the details on how to follow via those methods to let people choose what works best for them:

http://jandeproductions.com/subscribe/

I generally post all the weather updates here, but there are a lot of related things that I don’t have time to put here, aren’t relevant, or are just referenced briefly.

Twitter%20Icon.jpgTumblr%20Icon.jpgPath%20Icon.jpgFacebook%20Icon.jpg  Email%20Icon.gif  RSS%20Icon.gif

If this afternoon's dew points are any indication...we should radiate nicely tonight.

First sub-freezing dew point of the season here this afternoon (31F or M01):

KMVL 052054Z AUTO VRB06G15KT 10SM FEW065 16/M01 A3009 RMK AO2 SLP191 T01561006 53007

I see SLK has Td of 33F, and St Johnsbury also hit 33F for a dew point. If these 31-35F dews across the area are any indication, it could be a frosty morning tomorrow.

Archived