• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
NNE Summer 2013 Thread

klw

Currently 55/53 with mist/drizzle. A real fall day with north winds rustling the leaves.

You know, I saw the above comment in the September weather discussion thread, and it really hit home when I walked past our department office and happened to look out the window – I did a double take because I saw the “wall of white” out there in front of the mountains.  Of course it’s not snow at this point, but it’s definitely the first time this season that I’ve seen the dramatic view of the cloud ceiling at a few thousand feet here in the Champlain Valley, suddenly dropping down out to the east past Williston.  The radar does seem to show something banking up against the mountains along the county line east of here in recent frames:

13SEP13A.gif

It certainly feels like a sign of the times with those NNW winds out there.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah JSpin, I've been thinking of winter all day with this precip pattern.

Froude numbers all day have been 0.25-0.5 which is a very blocked flow and that's witnessed here in Stowe by the lack of precipitation after the upper level stuff moved out...however it has been raining small droplet upslope rains over Mansfield all day.

The mountain was in its upslope rain gear, however if you move even a mile away from the mountain there was nothing happening due to the blocked flow. Incredibly localized on the east side, while I bet the west side is drizzling/raining at times out to Williston.

Photos to illustrate...rain started falling around the Toll Road base of Mansfield and increased as you moved closer. Very low level rain though as you can see by clearing skies aloft.

Upslope rain shield covering Mansfield's east slope but very sharp gradient due to blocked flow and NNW flow. The ski trails wouldve gotten some nice snow today though. East side does better with a more westerly component that better helps push moisture over the mountains, as opposed to causing it to riding south down the west slope.

Yeah JSpin, I've been thinking of winter all day with this precip pattern.

Froude numbers all day have been 0.25-0.5 which is a very blocked flow and that's witnessed here in Stowe by the lack of precipitation after the upper level stuff moved out...however it has been raining small droplet upslope rains over Mansfield all day.

The mountain was in its upslope rain gear, however if you move even a mile away from the mountain there was nothing happening due to the blocked flow. Incredibly localized on the east side, while I bet the west side is drizzling/raining at times out to Williston.

Photos to illustrate...rain started falling around the Toll Road base of Mansfield and increased as you moved closer. Very low level rain though as you can see by clearing skies aloft.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Upslope rain shield covering Mansfield's east slope but very sharp gradient due to blocked flow and NNW flow. The ski trails wouldve gotten some nice snow today though. East side does better with a more westerly component that better helps push moisture over the mountains, as opposed to causing it to riding south down the west slope.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Interesting stuff...nice photos. I share your fascination for orographic precipitation processes.

Due to the lower density and slower fall rate of dendritic snowflakes, they would've been carried further downstream by the ambient winds if this exact same setup had occurred during the winter. As such, there may have been accumulating snowfall a bit east of the mountain to perhaps Stowe center whereas the rain didn't really make it off the east slope since it reaches the ground faster than snow does.

I've also seen setups where the heaviest snowfall reaches the ground several miles further east than where the radar suggests that it is since the snow is being advected downstream as it falls toward the ground. Obviously this phenomenon will be more pronounced if the wind field is stronger.

We had a situation here on the morning of 12/30/12 in the wake of that sudden coastal that surprised many in SNE where we had 1/4 to 1/8 mile +SN but the disk of the sun was clearly visible above the snow curtain. It wasn't like being inside of an intense mesoscale band produced by a synoptic system where skies are dark grey. The orographic cloud responsible for this snow was actually about 5-10 miles to the west along the NY/MA line. We had about 4-5" of fluff from this event on top of the 3-4" we had from the synoptic snow the evening before.

There have been other times where I've been under the heavy radar echoes with dark clouds, only to be getting flurries and I'm like WTF.

Interesting stuff...nice photos. I share your fascination for orographic precipitation processes.

Due to the lower density and slower fall rate of dendritic snowflakes, they would've been carried further downstream by the ambient winds if this exact same setup had occurred during the winter. As such, there may have been accumulating snowfall a bit east of the mountain to perhaps Stowe center whereas the rain didn't really make it off the east slope since it reaches the ground faster than snow does.

I've also seen setups where the heaviest snowfall reaches the ground several miles further east than where the radar suggests that it is since the snow is being advected downstream as it falls toward the ground. Obviously this phenomenon will be more pronounced if the wind field is stronger.

We had a situation here on the morning of 12/30/12 in the wake of that sudden coastal that surprised many in SNE where we had 1/4 to 1/8 mile +SN but the disk of the sun was clearly visible above the snow curtain. It wasn't like being inside of an intense mesoscale band produced by a synoptic system where skies are dark grey. The orographic cloud responsible for this snow was actually about 5-10 miles to the west along the NY/MA line. We had about 4-5" of fluff from this event on top of the 3-4" we had from the synoptic snow the evening before.

There have been other times where I've been under the heavy radar echoes with dark clouds, only to be getting flurries and I'm like WTF.

I am looking forward to some upslope chases and also taking pics of snow squalls coming across Lake Champlain if we get a setup for that.

I know some of you guys like nice weather pictures. Saw this picture on the net. It was taken this week at the Grand Canyon. As a photographer I really appreciate weather pictures. It was a 25 second exposure. Nice, nice picture!

That is just awesome!

I know exactly what you are talking about...I'll try to post some radar scans of past events showing this.

Often I can see on composite radar that the snow looks to be developing like over BTV, but on the 2.45 degree scan it looks like it starts falling a few miles east towards the western slope, then the 1.45 degree scan has it even further east towards the Spine. As you go lower in radar scans, you can see the snow is hitting the earth much further east than the composite radar would make you think (based on the heaviest echoes being up in the clouds at like 5-6000ft, then falling diagonally down to the east from those clouds).

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/btv/mountain/profile/froude/

Best presentation on upslope ever, haha.

To me it's the veering of winds in the low levels from H85 and below. I know I have no shot on the east slope if I'm seeing more northerly than westerly at H85, turning NW at like 950mb. The flow just won't push any snow over the spine, it'll cause it to propagate south down the west slope.

For me, I like vertically stacked systems with deep uniform NW flow up through H75 or H5...turning almost westerly in the low levels. And a good strong 30+ knots at H85 to carry that stuff downstream on the east side.

Best presentation on upslope ever, haha.

To me it's the veering of winds in the low levels from H85 and below. I know I have no shot on the east slope if I'm seeing more northerly than westerly at H85, turning NW at like 950mb. The flow just won't push any snow over the spine, it'll cause it to propagate south down the west slope.

For me, I like vertically stacked systems with deep uniform NW flow up through H75 or H5...turning almost westerly in the low levels. And a good strong 30+ knots at H85 to carry that stuff downstream on the east side.

I wouldn't mind seeing a 0.25 Froude event this year :)

Spent some time in Rangely, ME this weekend.  Saturday was cloudy, cool and wet.  Sunday was beautiful tough.  I took some pictures with the iPhone.  Warning, not as good as pictures from other NNE posters!

This first picture is the view from the deck of camp.

post-363-0-35566800-1379334491_thumb.jpg

Overlooking Rangeley Lake

post-363-0-54746300-1379334593_thumb.jpg

A couple of loons on Aziscohos Lake.

post-363-0-74305300-1379334744_thumb.jpg

Highs have been lowered to the upper 40s to low 50s across northern VT. I wonder if spots can grab the first afternoon high in the 40s today. If we clear up though, we'll make a jump later this afternoon.

The official Mansfield station is showing 40F, but two instruments at the top of Stowe's gondola are 38-39F. It's chilly up here with a good breeze and heavy small droplet drizzle. It looks like fog but step outside and you get soaked.

Brrrrr

56.7F with full sun in the afternoon and a gusty NW wind...not bad for mid Sep.

I don't think we'll hit 32F here, but CON should flirt with it. The next 2 mornings the MAV has 33/32 for them. LCI is a relatively balmy 36/38 by the lake. Usually I fall somewhere near the middle on rad cooling nights, but if the low level CAA overperforms a bit maybe I can squeak a 32.4F surprise. With strong radiational cooling I tend to drop about 25F from my afternoon high on average. That put's me right in the ballpark, but I think the wind is going to be pesky most of the night.

I'm afraid of a pesky 3-5mph wind as well...ridge axis is still quite a bit west of us. The Adirondacks and northern NY will be an icebox tonight...we will have to see how quickly we can go calm further east.

BTV forecast here is 32F...which sounds good. Under ideal conditions we usually drop to or a couple degrees lower than Mount Mansfield's summit, so low 30s would be about right.

1236332_533392183399354_1090115559_n.png

I'm afraid of a pesky 3-5mph wind as well...ridge axis is still quite a bit west of us. The Adirondacks and northern NY will be an icebox tonight...we will have to see how quickly we can go calm further east.

BTV forecast here is 32F...which sounds good. Under ideal conditions we usually drop to or a couple degrees lower than Mount Mansfield's summit, so low 30s would be about right.

We've slipped into the 40s here at the office now, but we've also got a steady 8 knots or so. Our hill tends to do that, but it's amazing how easily those valleys can decouple despite CAA arguing for mixing.

Archived