amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
NNE Summer 2013 Thread

klw

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We had a maple tree hit by lighting in our backyard last night. About half of it came down. Looks like the only damage- other than to the tree was to the fence around our vegetable garden and the tomatoes. The tree was starting to shade out the side of the garden that it fell on but this is now some extreme shade for the tomatoes. The fence there is a low cheap metal fence so that is no big deal. I will try to post pictures later.

We had a maple tree hit by lighting in our backyard last night. About half of it came down. Looks like the only damage- other than to the tree was to the fence around our vegetable garden and the tomatoes. The tree was starting to shade out the side of the garden that it fell on but this is now some extreme shade for the tomatoes. The fence there is a low cheap metal fence so that is no big deal. I will try to post pictures later.

pics

post-1533-0-45640300-1378994525_thumb.jp

post-1533-0-87886800-1378994535_thumb.jp

post-1533-0-28379000-1378994552_thumb.jp

Wow, The tomatoes must be crying for there momma, Can see where even a green tree can catch fire with that amount of energy

Yeah it will also flash boil the water in the tree and often times the bark explodes off the trunk (deadly for anyone near it). That is just one reason it is dangerous to be close to, or under, trees in a storm (aside from the obvious of being hit the bolt itself).

My place successfully evaded all the svr.  The warned storms about 7:30 last eve passed by both north and south, couple strikes 2-2.5 miles away and some distant rumbles, plus 0.02".  Last I looked at radar, a bit after 10, there were two more bunches of bright red upstream, with a narrow space between, which evidently was lined up perfectly with MBY.  Short and fairly weak TS at 6:30 this morning dropped a bit over 0.1".  We're plenty moist here, so I can't be too disappointed in missing the RA, but I thought we were in for a major light show last night.  Saw one flash every moinute or two.  Did see a nice cg this morning as I came off the south side of Mile Hill in Rome.

Yeah it will also flash boil the water in the tree and often times the bark explodes off the trunk (deadly for anyone near it). That is just one reason it is dangerous to be close to, or under, trees in a storm (aside from the obvious of being hit the bolt itself).

We had a white pine get struck at the golf course a few years back, I was in the clubhouse when it got struck, It sounded like someone shot a cannon in the room as there was a big flash and instant crash of thunder, When the storm was over we went out and the tree was split all the way to the roots and chunks of wood the size of 8' 2x4's and other shredded bark were thrown over 100 yds across the fairway to another hole on the course, It actually was quite a mess they had to clean up

Pretty rough around these parts last evening but somehow, the homestead was narrowly missed by three storms.  Lots of reports of hail, wind and trees down from the Upper Valley last evening but we were spared.  They came awfully close but we escaped by a few chin hairs.

Caught a few shots...

One just to my north:

9732714132_523f5f97a2_z.jpg

And one just to the south:

9729488405_b59653639e_z.jpg

And looking due east over NH after the passed.  Normally the mountains of western NH are visible but not so last evening:

9729488057_2228baefa9_z.jpg

So ready to say bye-bye to high dews/thunderstorm season....  <_<

We had a white pine get struck at the golf course a few years back, I was in the clubhouse when it got struck, It sounded like someone shot a cannon in the room as there was a big flash and instant crash of thunder, When the storm was over we went out and the tree was split all the way to the roots and chunks of wood the size of 8' 2x4's and other shredded bark were thrown over 100 yds across the fairway to another hole on the course, It actually was quite a mess they had to clean up

Powerful stuff, especially when one is close at hand.  I've mainly seen the after effects, like an oka with a 4" wide by 3" deep groove cut through the lowest 30 feet, at which point the bolt dug a foot-deep trench several yards to a large roadside puddle.  My favorite was on land we manage in Topsham, near Merrymeeting Bay.  The strike hit a sizable white pine, about 25" in diameter and 80-85' tall.  The section of trunk between 20' and 30' off the ground was blown apart, with 50-200 lb "splinters" cast about.  The top section dropped nearly straight down, and planted itself about 3' from the stub.  Of course, it didn't grow, but the stub and "planted" top are still there - much degraded by decay - about 15 years after the event.

Powerful stuff, especially when one is close at hand.  I've mainly seen the after effects, like an oka with a 4" wide by 3" deep groove cut through the lowest 30 feet, at which point the bolt dug a foot-deep trench several yards to a large roadside puddle.  My favorite was on land we manage in Topsham, near Merrymeeting Bay.  The strike hit a sizable white pine, about 25" in diameter and 80-85' tall.  The section of trunk between 20' and 30' off the ground was blown apart, with 50-200 lb "splinters" cast about.  The top section dropped nearly straight down, and planted itself about 3' from the stub.  Of course, it didn't grow, but the stub and "planted" top are still there - much degraded by decay - about 15 years after the event.

Same here there were chard of wood scattered over a large area like a bomb had gone off

Awesome pics. I wanted to take some, but was too chix to stand near the sliding door. What camera settings are you using?

I used a bulb and tripod to take 30 second exposures. I varied the ISO and F stop as the lightning got closer. I actually had to tone down the exposure in these via lightroom (But color is as is). I believe these were ISO 800 at F5.6

I think you can safely say that the BTV mets Banacos & Nash are safely on Team Forecast and NOT Team Wishcast, as stated in today's AFD (bold for emphasis):

.LONG TERM /SUNDAY THROUGH THURSDAY/...
AS OF 159 PM EDT THURSDAY...GIVEN ONGOING ACTIVE WEATHER, HAVE
DONE ONLY A CURSORY LOOK AT THE LONG TERM WITH REGARD TO THE
LATEST 12Z GFS DATA. THE GOOD NEWS (FROM A FORECASTING
PERSPECTIVE) IS THAT THE 12Z GFS IS VERY SIMILAR TO THE PRIOR RUNS
AS WELL AS PREVIOUS ECMWF MODEL GUIDANCE -- AND -- ALL OF THAT IS
IN LINE WITH WHAT THE MIDNIGHT SHIFT FORECASTER HAD WORKED UP.

SUNNY/DRY SUNDAY, WEAK FRONT SUNDAY NIGHT, SUNNY/COOL MONDAY &
TUESDAY AND STILL DRY AND A BIT MILDER WEDNESDAY.

ONLY MODIFICATIONS WERE TO BUMP TEMPERATURES UP A COUPLE OF
DEGREES WEDNESDAY.

ONE LAST ITEM I NEED TO TOUCH UPON, PRIMARILY FOR SNOW LOVERS.
DESPITE EARLIER RUMORS THAT PERHAPS A SNOWFLAKE OR TWO COULD FALL ON
THE HIGHEST SUMMITS EARLY MONDAY, I DO NEED TO PUT A STOP TO IT.
LATEST GUIDANCE STILL DOES SUGGEST THAT 850MB TEMPERATURES WILL
DROP TO 0 TO -2C MONDAY, BUT IT WILL BE WELL AFTER THE LITTLE BIT
OF MOISTURE WITH THE FRONT MOVES OUT OF THE AREA. SORRY.

LOL that's priceless in an AFD.

Would've thought Muccilli wrote that part of the AFD ;)

BTV has a great team of mets right now...I love the no-bs stuff. They get excited when its warranted but no hype.

I agree. Raleigh, when I was in NC, was consistently one of the best offices out there (and believe me winter wx forecasting there is brutal). It is nice to be in a region covered by another good one. Were they reading this board somewhere? ;)

I agree. Raleigh, when I was in NC, was consistently one of the best offices out there (and believe me winter wx forecasting there is brutal). It is nice to be in a region covered by another good one. Were they reading this board somewhere? ;)

It was funny the first thing I was thinking is if someone mentioned it here, but I don't think so. I know some of BTV mets lurk here and have posted. Banacos (the met who wrote that I think) used to post here or on Eastern US WX forums before everyone moved over here.

Had one of the more intense rain I've seen lately today around 3-4pm...I was on Rt 100 driving north and had just crossed into Stowe when rain started pouring down. It got so heavy with near zero visibility, that traffic came to a standstill. The type of thing where even with wipers on high you cant see anything but brake lights and people with their emergency flashers on. Water flowing out of driveways like rivers, too. Impressive rain rates.

BTV has a great team of mets right now...I love the no-bs stuff. They get excited when its warranted but no hype.

Nice.  We're definitely lucky to have those guys right below the western slopes doing their thing.  They really assemble some germane Facebook and Twitter material as well.

It just can't not rain............. :axe:

Since getting my Stratus Rain Gauge in early July I haven't had a 24-hour period over 2.0" of liquid but I did it yesterday with 2.04".

The Stowe Village CoCoRAHS guy came in with 1.98".  Those downpours yesterday afternoon were legit.

Heaviest in VT was 2.85" in Cabot, VT at Joes Pond.

Archived