bowsunski
    Newest Member
    bowsunski
NNE Summer 2013 Thread

klw

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heard from friend staying on Squam lake who heard some dirt roads in the area had issues. I couldn't say more than that unfortunately. He said its pouring again and he guessed at least 3" there fell. He's a met.

Very concerned about those cells moving through again. Dual-pol suggests around 0.75" in the last 45 minutes.

BTV's summertime precipitation report... we had 20.58" here in Stowe Village with 28.17" a few miles away at 4,000ft on Mount Mansfield. 

The Mansfield-Bolton stretch of the Spine really stands out here as a focus, as well as the Sugarbush area and just south.  Warren, VT had the highest inhabited total at 26.73", and then J.Spin's Waterbury location was second with 24.68".

One of the more interesting parts is that the Lebanon ASOS came in with 22.19", which is 4-8" more than any other surrounding station.  Its rare that an ASOS actually gets put in a jackpot location ;)

Amounts over 20"...

LOCATION                                               RAINFALL (IN)                                          REPORT SOURCE

MOUNT MANSFIELD, VT		28.17				COOPWARREN, VT			26.73				COCORAHSWATERBURY, VT			24.68				COCORAHSLINCOLN, VT			23.82				COCORAHSRICHMOND, VT			22.71				COCORAHSHUNTINGTON, VT			22.65				COCORAHSJEFFERSONVILLE, VT		22.55				COOPBROOKFIELD, VT			22.31				COCORAHSLEBANON, NH			22.19				ASOSNASHVILLE, VT			21.56				NWS EMPLOYEECHELSEA, VT			21.34				COOPWORCESTER, VT			21.17				COOPWATERBURY, VT			20.69				COCORAHSSTOWE, VT			20.59				COCORAHSROCHESTER, VT			20.58				COOPWATERBURY, VT			20.33				COCORAHSJERICHO, VT			20.24				COCORAHSSOUTH LINCOLN, VT		20.01				COOP

Hey powderfreak, looks like MVL finished August +0.1! Lol just squeaked above.

:lol: go figure...so close.

Like we were discussing in the other thread, the ratio of above normal months to below normal months over the past like 5-10 years, makes it seem like any month that's less than +1F feels like a below normal month.

The new normal is +1, lol.

Hey powderfreak, looks like MVL finished August +0.1! Lol just squeaked above.

I will add that I think the normals for MPV and 1V4 are out of whack with MVL....I know we have talked about it, but I watch those three sites closely almost daily, and I just can't seem to wrap my head around the fact that MPV has the same climo temps as MVL (500ft lower in elevation), and 1V4(St Johnsbury) has an average temp that is +2 degrees warmer in the means than MVL at the same elevation and latitude.

I get that St J will downslope on east flow but not many days have that. Both MVL and 1V4 downslope on a NW wind, but probably not to the same degree. I just can't see of 1V4 has a long term climate average of 2F higher than MVL. If you go back through previous months, you'll find that MVL always has higher departures at the end of the month than the other two sites.

Here's how August shaped out:

Station...average temp...actual temp...departure

MVL (730ft)...65.3...65.4...+0.1

MPV (1180ft)...65.4...64.2....-1.2

1V4 (700ft)...67.8...65.6...-2.2

See the "actual temp" is what I think it should be with MVL and 1V4 having temps close to each other, while MPV with almost 500ft more elevation is 1-1.5F less than the other two.

The listed averages to me make no sense climate wise, given all three are similar latitude, but just different elevations. Maybe the issue is more MVL, and that number should be higher? But how a site at 700ft runs similar to a 1200ft site (actually 0.1F colder on the listed average), is puzzling.

It's not just a one month thing...it's all year round that the climate norms seem odd. I've never seen an actual month where 1V4 has a mean temp that's a full 2.5F higher than MVL like the "normals" would lead you to believe happens regularly.

Highs today were sneaky warm...very consistent by elevation:

MPV (1200ft)....81F

MVL (730ft)....83F

1V4 (700ft)...83F

BTV (330ft)...86F

Just like my rant in the last post about how MVL's listed climate averages are similar to MPV, while 1V4's are 2.5F higher.... leads to most days like this where MVL has the highest departure even though their temperatures aren't abnormally warm compared to the other sites.

BTV's summertime precipitation report... we had 20.58" here in Stowe Village with 28.17" a few miles away at 4,000ft on Mount Mansfield. 

The Mansfield-Bolton stretch of the Spine really stands out here as a focus, as well as the Sugarbush area and just south.  Warren, VT had the highest inhabited total at 26.73", and then J.Spin's Waterbury location was second with 24.68".

attachicon.gifSummer_2013.png

Amounts over 20"...

LOCATION                                               RAINFALL (IN)                                          REPORT SOURCE

MOUNT MANSFIELD, VT		28.17				COOPWARREN, VT			26.73				COCORAHSWATERBURY, VT			24.68				COCORAHSLINCOLN, VT			23.82				COCORAHSRICHMOND, VT			22.71				COCORAHSHUNTINGTON, VT			22.65				COCORAHSJEFFERSONVILLE, VT		22.55				COOPBROOKFIELD, VT			22.31				COCORAHSLEBANON, NH			22.19				ASOSNASHVILLE, VT			21.56				NWS EMPLOYEECHELSEA, VT			21.34				COOPWORCESTER, VT			21.17				COOPWATERBURY, VT			20.69				COCORAHSSTOWE, VT			20.59				COCORAHSROCHESTER, VT			20.58				COOPWATERBURY, VT			20.33				COCORAHSJERICHO, VT			20.24				COCORAHSSOUTH LINCOLN, VT		20.01				COOP

Thanks for the update PF; these summaries that the BTV NWS does are great.  Indeed the beat goes on as usual here along the spine; we’re right around 40” of liquid for the calendar year, so if this average pace from the first 2/3 of 2013 were to continue for the final 1/3, the result would be something in the range of 60” again.  That feels like a lot with BTV’s average at around 36” or so, but I’ve got a few seasons of liquid data now and it’s starting to feel more like the norm than the exception.  Anyway, as long as the moisture keeps rolling into the coming snow season, I suspect we’ll be happy.

That's almost definitely what it looks like. I've seen two on Mansfield this summer and looked pretty identical...the stance is very similar.

We've had one hanging around, but I wasn't sure with the IR from a distance. I should've looked back in my archive more, because I had a better image from a previous night which pretty much confirms it's a 'yote.

post-3-0-11459800-1378126571_thumb.jpg

And Di, this is what my deer look like on the IR. They stand quite a bit taller with their skinnier legs.

post-3-0-21929200-1378126685_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the update PF; these summaries that the BTV NWS does are great. Indeed the beat goes on as usual here along the spine; we’re right around 40” of liquid for the calendar year, so if this average pace from the first 2/3 of 2013 were to continue for the final 1/3, the result would be something in the range of 60” again. That feels like a lot with BTV’s average at around 36” or so, but I’ve got a few seasons of liquid data now and it’s starting to feel more like the norm than the exception. Anyway, as long as the moisture keeps rolling into the coming snow season, I suspect we’ll be happy.

Yeah, just keep the moisture coming into the mountains. Looks like we are at 36" at the Stowe Village CoCoRAHS station for the year so far, vs. your 40". Underhill at 1200ft on the west side is at 35". Pretty uniform on the whole in this area, but you picked up 4" more during the course of the summer months and that looks to be the difference in the annual precip totals.

I'm not sure we'll hit 2011's numbers which had 61" in Stowe, but should surpass 2012's total of 43.5". In 2010 we had right around 50", so we will see where we fall this year.

Lets keep it moist as we roll through the fall!

Low clouds today around 2,000ft...hit the fog line pretty quickly while 4-wheeling up the mountain. Now for 8 hours of no visibility. Can't see more than like 30ft in any direction up here at 3600ft. It sort of starts to get claustrophobic in an odd way after a day of looking at milky white in every direction.

We've had one hanging around, but I wasn't sure with the IR from a distance. I should've looked back in my archive more, because I had a better image from a previous night which pretty much confirms it's a 'yote.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

And Di, this is what my deer look like on the IR. They stand quite a bit taller with their skinnier legs.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

oh ok, yep...u gots a coyote :)

image.jpg

image.jpg

Out of curiosity, how do you find these on your camera in the morning? Do you scroll through all the nighttime hours looking for wildlife or do you have some sort of motion sensor that alerts you to something in the yard?

It's pretty freakin' cool though and makes me wonder what might be in my yard at night.

Out of curiosity, how do you find these on your camera in the morning? Do you scroll through all the nighttime hours looking for wildlife or do you have some sort of motion sensor that alerts you to something in the yard?

It's pretty freakin' cool though and makes me wonder what might be in my yard at night.

The images save every 20s, but I don't view all of the images. Usually I'll just view an image from every 5 mins until I come across something interesting.

The images save every 20s, but I don't view all of the images. Usually I'll just view an image from every 5 mins until I come across something interesting.

Ahhh I wasn't sure if you had some sort of motion sensor that would record times of movement in the yard. That would be pretty cool though...wake up and have the camera give you times to check for wildlife, haha.

Archived