Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Severe Thunderstorms Sunday 6/2

free_man

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SB Cape has really taken off Litchfield to SW NH. Storms will have time to mature before they reach there. Also the ML Lapse rates are actually steepening. 

I think someone out in the berks and maybe even close to Springfield/Hartford is going to be seeing a tree toppler. Classic wind sounding.

instability isn't an issue for CT/MA....it's the shear is minimal and the best forcing won't arrive until  much later

I have seen this do this in the past...   Take a look at this sat picture and note the starkly barren skies of any cloud east of a very sharp delineation going from CU to nothing...

New_England.vis.gif

In the past, the air mass east of the cloud line is coming up off the LI Sound, which this is with the SW wind.  What is interesting is that it won't show up at the thermometer and DP, so I am not sure just exactly what it does (physically) to alter the atmosphere toward stability, if it the actual temp and DP suggest otherwise.  

In any event, it might be difficult to trigger anything east of that axis, and it may also serve to weaken segments that attempt to cross it later on.  We'll see...

In Albany, just scarfed down lunch. Hanging tight for now, but part of me wants to go north. Better shear up there, but more instability down here and even into NW CT...

Sounds like you've got the best of both worlds---or the worst of two depending on how you look at it.  Good luck!!

looks good North

attachicon.gifradar.gif

Yeah--methinks we're too far south for anyting but some rumbles and heavy rain.  But, here's to hoping.

I have seen this do this in the past...   Take a look at this sat picture and note the starkly barren skies of any cloud east of a very sharp delineation going from CU to nothing...

New_England.vis.gif

In the past, the air mass east of the cloud line is coming up off the LI Sound, which this is with the SW wind.  What is interesting is that it won't show up at the thermometer and DP, so I am not sure just exactly what it does (physically) to alter the atmosphere toward stability, if it the actual temp and DP suggest otherwise.  

In any event, it might be difficult to trigger anything east of that axis, and it may also serve to weaken segments that attempt to cross it

later on.  We'll see...

Neat shot--I'm under the clouds here.....for whatever that's worth.

New_England.vis.gif

In any event, it might be difficult to trigger anything east of that axis, and it may also serve to weaken segments that attempt to cross it later on.  We'll see...

My guess is that it has to do with the amount of turbulent/convective mixing going on the atmosphere as it takes time for these processes to initiate and the idea that the air further west is preconditioned for convection to occur while further east it is not. Keep in mind that the air crossing over LI Sound and the adjacent Atlantic is initially very cool and stable. Although the air heats up as soon as it hits the land, convective processes take some to fire up. As such, there is not enough convection taking place east of the CT River to produce a Cu field in SNE. Notice that there is a Cu field in NH after the air has been over land long enough for convective processes to reach a threshold where Cu can form. Further west, where the SW flow has no component over water, things are already well mixed and convection has already reached a point where Cu can form. I'm not totally sure if this lag between heating and convection/mixing is large enough to explain what is going on here, but it's my 2 cents.

Storms encroaching from the west will often weaken as they hit this less mixed air as it is more stable than the airmass further west.

Well this is the NNE sub-forum, too.  I'm fairly close to NNE as are quite a few of us, and Sunday is a nice day to go for a drive NW either way. ;)

South of HFD/ORH is not going to do well with any type of s or ssw sfc wind, usually until early July or so.    Do you agree?  Even with good instability, the marine taint seems to affect storms and it's pretty far inland, even if it's very subtle.  I forget who has commented on this before, but that is in the back of my mind.  

It's hard for me to not get excited when most of the parameters look good.  Sunday is a good chase day with no work.   :D

Yeah I mentioned this earlier last week.  Thanks for the explanation, cool how it worked out so far.

My guess is that it has to do with the amount of turbulent/convective mixing going on the atmosphere as it takes time for these processes to initiate and the idea that the air further west is preconditioned for convection to occur while further east it is not. Keep in mind that the air crossing over LI Sound and the adjacent Atlantic is initially very cool and stable. Although the air heats up as soon as it hits the land, convective processes take some to fire up. As such, there is not enough convection taking place east of the CT River to produce a Cu field in SNE. Notice that there is a Cu field in NH after the air has been over land long enough for convective processes to reach a threshold where Cu can form. Further west, where the SW flow has no component over water, things are already well mixed and convection has already reached a point where Cu can form. I'm not totally sure if this lag between heating and convection/mixing is large enough to explain what is going on here, but it's my 2 cents.

Storms encroaching from the west will often weaken as they hit this less mixed air as it is more stable than the airmass further west.

This line is going to go right to my south... near constant thunder though and the sky is very dark just to the immediate SSW.

I bet some of these are dropping an ungodly amount of water in a short period of time as they cross the spine of the mountains.  Rivers continue to run very high from the record wet May and additional rainfall last night.  That cell right over Killington in eastern Rutland County looks like a doozy.

June2.gif

Rutland County cell was a strong one... wind damage and 1" hail.

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT...SUMMARYNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT210 PM EDT SUN JUN 02 2013..TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON.....DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....            ..REMARKS..0139 PM     TSTM WND DMG     CASTLETON               43.61N  73.18W06/02/2013                   RUTLAND            VT   BROADCAST MEDIA            TREES AND WIRES DOWN0145 PM     HAIL             CASTLETON               43.61N  73.18W06/02/2013  E0.75 INCH       RUTLAND            VT   TRAINED SPOTTER0150 PM     HAIL             PITTSFORD               43.71N  73.03W06/02/2013  M1.00 INCH       RUTLAND            VT   TRAINED SPOTTER            NUMEROUS TREES AND WIRES DOWN0159 PM     TSTM WND DMG     1 W LINCOLN             44.11N  73.02W06/02/2013                   ADDISON            VT   TRAINED SPOTTER            SEVERAL TREES DOWN ON YORK HILL ROAD0159 PM     TSTM WND DMG     RUTLAND                 43.61N  72.98W06/02/2013                   RUTLAND            VT   PUBLIC            TREES DOWN0205 PM     HAIL             CHITTENDEN              43.71N  72.95W06/02/2013  M1.00 INCH       RUTLAND            VT   TRAINED SPOTTER0209 PM     HAIL             PITTSFORD               43.71N  73.03W06/02/2013  E0.75 INCH       RUTLAND            VT   PUBLIC

privacy concerns.  ;(   Looks like that tail-end line is perking up some and headed your way in a few hours, hope that continues.

'nough said.

That line very well could..  As I extrapolate the radar now, its possilbe the northern one will miss to the north and the southern one will miss me to the south.  But, way too soon to worry about that now.

Clouds playing with the temps here.  Managed 83.6 at 11:30, now down to 82.0/72.

'nough said.

That line very well could..  As I extrapolate the radar now, its possilbe the northern one will miss to the north and the southern one will miss me to the south.  But, way too soon to worry about that now.

Clouds playing with the temps here.  Managed 83.6 at 11:30, now down to 82.0/72.

Storm near ny/ct/ma is pretty nasty looking, definitely perking up.  Your area may get the "split", we'll see.  I doubt it though.

Moving a bit further east on Rt. 7...hoping that cell further intensifies 

getting anything?

Yeah that one has pulsed up. Storms have had trouble staying organized, however. 

Yeah but that was sort of expected though, no?  I know the spc mentioned that over the past few days.  Either way, the Q of whether storms were making it into WNE appears to be a resounding yes -and during peaking heating, too.

Archived