• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Severe Thunderstorms Sunday 6/2

free_man

Been watching this time period in the models for at least a week, looks good for widespread storms Sunday PM/night, perhaps severe storms at least for WNE.  ml winds should be quite strong as noted below.  With plenty of instability and a trigger,  should be a fun time.

ZCZC SPCSWOD48 ALL
ACUS48 KWNS 290848
SPC AC 290848

DAY 4-8 CONVECTIVE OUTLOOK
NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK
0348 AM CDT WED MAY 29 2013

VALID 011200Z - 061200Z

...DISCUSSION...
UPPER TROUGH WILL CONTINUE TO TRANSLATE ENEWD FROM THE UPPER MS
VALLEY ON D4/SAT TO THE NORTHEAST THROUGH D5/SUN. RELATIVELY FAST
MID LEVEL FLOW OF AROUND 50KT IN THE BASE OF THE TROUGH ON D4 SHOULD
CONTRIBUTE TO STORM ORGANIZATION AHEAD OF THE SLOWING FRONTAL ZONE
FROM THE OZARKS NEWD TO THE LOWER OH VALLEY. GIVEN RICH LOW LEVEL
MOISTURE AND LIFT ACROSS THIS CORRIDOR...EXPECT BANDS OR CLUSTERS OF
STORMS CAPABLE OF PRODUCING DAMAGING WINDS TO BE THE MAIN CONCERN.

WHILE FORCING AND SHEAR ALONG TRAILING PORTIONS OF THE FRONTAL ZONE
WILL WEAKEN THROUGH D5/SUN...STRONGER HEIGHT FALLS AND FLOW ARE
FORECAST TO ACCOMPANY THE ADVANCING FRONT ACROSS THE NORTHEAST. BY
THIS TIME...RICH LOW LEVEL MOISTURE SHOULD BE WELL ESTABLISHED
ACROSS THE INTERIOR NORTHEAST GIVEN PERSISTENT SLY/SWLY FLOW AROUND
THE DEPARTING EAST COAST ANTICYCLONE. DIURNAL HEATING AND TERRAIN
INFLUENCES MAY SPUR STORM DEVELOPMENT AMIDST STRENGTHENING
DEEP-LAYER FLOW WITH ADEQUATE SHEAR TO SUPPORT ORGANIZED STORMS IN
THE FORM OF LINE SEGMENTS CAPABLE OF DAMAGING WINDS.

ANOTHER UPPER TROUGH IS FORECAST TO EVOLVE ACROSS THE NCNTRL U.S.
DURING THE PERIOD BEYOND D5/SUN. HOWEVER...TIMING AND AMPLITUDE
VARIATIONS IN LATEST GUIDANCE SUGGEST GREATER UNCERTAINTY IN THE
DEVELOPMENT AND LOCATION OF SEVERE WEATHER AS THIS TROUGH TAKES FORM
ACROSS THE NRN/CNTRL PLAINS INTO THE FIRST WEEK OF JUNE.

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks more for NY state and NNE.

Well this is the NNE sub-forum, too.  I'm fairly close to NNE as are quite a few of us, and Sunday is a nice day to go for a drive NW either way. ;)

South of HFD/ORH is not going to do well with any type of s or ssw sfc wind, usually until early July or so.    Do you agree?  Even with good instability, the marine taint seems to affect storms and it's pretty far inland, even if it's very subtle.  I forget who has commented on this before, but that is in the back of my mind.  

It's hard for me to not get excited when most of the parameters look good.  Sunday is a good chase day with no work.   :D

ORH and HFD can still do ok on a SSW wind, but yeah...usually in the early evening the cooler marine air can sometimes make it to those locales if winds are strong enough. That's why it's good to have westerly flow aloft because storms get a much farther east shove before having their legs knocked out from under them. Sunday at first glance just seems like NY state and NNE since the trough is pretty far west, but a lot of time is left to work out the details. Certainly western MA and perhaps SW NH can get in on the action. Personally, I'm a westerly flow snob. 

The threat for SNE might be more Monday if this front drags its feet like shown.

I don't know, but it does seem like the upper winds being more sw than w would usually hang the front up a bit more, no?

Models seem to have the cfp by 12z Tuesday, at least for the interior. so it's probably an overnight deal for SNE, at least for storms.  Whether it clears the S/E coast or hangs up is interesting.

Agree.

Sneaky threat. I was running through the 00z guidance and it hangs just enough instability back that there may be a surprise for eastern areas.

It wouldn't be the first time that a place like PWM had to wait until day 2 to get the goods from a decent set up.

Checking the SREF parameters (which don't carry into our period yet) it appears to be a fairly broad and primed warm sector. Using the CAPE/shear/convective precip probabilities mostly to make sure the model is generating convection.

Friday afternoon:

SREF_prob_combined_0.01_40_1000__f048.gi

Saturday afternoon:

SREF_prob_combined_0.01_40_1000__f072.gi

Extrapolate that out for Sunday? Not bad for a soon to be day 4 event.

Sneaky threat. I was running through the 00z guidance and it hangs just enough instability back that there may be a surprise for eastern areas.

It wouldn't be the first time that a place like PWM had to wait until day 2 to get the goods from a decent set up.

Checking the SREF parameters (which don't carry into our period yet) it appears to be a fairly broad and primed warm sector. Using the CAPE/shear/convective precip probabilities mostly to make sure the model is generating convection.

Friday afternoon:

SREF_prob_combined_0.01_40_1000__f048.gi

Saturday afternoon:

SREF_prob_combined_0.01_40_1000__f072.gi

Extrapolate that out for Sunday? Not bad for a soon to be day 4 event.

Usually those days like Monday our when we do best here. However if the atmosphere is junky with mid level clouds..probably not much of anything.

Monday looks like an ok setup for these parts if we can muster up some instability. Decent S/W pushing east over SNE. But, looks junky as far as clouds go.

Definitely a junky look. Either a slower FROPA or some breaks to further destabilize things, or it's probably not going to be a big deal.

Sunday has a decent look across New York state. Even Saturday might be decent if one goes out towards the eastern Great Lakes.

Definitely a junky look. Either a slower FROPA or some breaks to further destabilize things, or it's probably not going to be a big deal.

Sunday has a decent look across New York state. Even Saturday might be decent if one goes out towards the eastern Great Lakes.

Yeah I mean more for these parts like ern MA, but Sunday is probably a NY State and NNE kind of deal.

The Significant tornado ingredients parameter on the 15z SPC SREF for NYS on Sunday is incredible for that far out.  

I've used that parameter a lot. 15% isn't really all that incredible. It's still pretty decent though. I think yesterday had a smaller area of 15% over eastern NY.

Very strong possibility that I'll be going northwest on Sunday...

I've used that parameter a lot. 15% isn't really all that incredible. It's still pretty decent though. I think yesterday had a smaller area of 15% over eastern NY.

Very strong possibility that I'll be going northwest on Sunday...

It is incredible for us for 3 days out and at this range.  Even for Dr. Forbes to have a TORCON of 3 for that area is quite impressive for this far out.  

Archived