amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Severe Thunderstorms Sunday 6/2

free_man

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not big severe..but I mean widespread storms even to coast..Sort of like other night..with a  few severe chucked in

Yeah... the severe tickled the 3 or 4 northern most towns in Litchfield County.

Shear, instability all looks meh.

With a decent LLJ we should get some good rainers thoug.

Not big severe..but I mean widespread storms even to coast..Sort of like other night..with a  few severe chucked in

Screams meh. Just like the other night. Alot of the the winds struggling to mix down past litchfield and the berks were probably due to an inversion though. I remember NAM bufkit showing it the day before. Least you won't have to deal with that.

Wiz, I would literally just set up near Albany. You can head north or south from there pretty easily.

The one thing I'm concerned with is timing.  With virtually no capping, and a pre-frontal trough setting up, action could fire very early and inhibit stronger heating/destabilization.  While further east, much better chance for stronger heating/destabilization I think 

The one thing I'm concerned with is timing.  With virtually no capping, and a pre-frontal trough setting up, action could fire very early and inhibit stronger heating/destabilization.  While further east, much better chance for stronger heating/destabilization I think 

pre frontal trough without any type of cap screams limited severe reports and a lot of rain.

pre frontal trough without any type of cap screams limited severe reports and a lot of rain.

Not necessarily.  

Some of our better severe wx days occur with action associated with the pre-frontal trough rather than the cold front.  Depending on orientation and other factors, they can actually enhance severe wx potential.  

Not necessarily.  

Some of our better severe wx days occur with action associated with the pre-frontal trough rather than the cold front.  Depending on orientation and other factors, they can actually enhance severe wx potential.  

I meant in this situation. Saw people say modest shear, instability, and lapse rates at best. I don't see where a lot of severe could come from.

I meant in this situation. Saw people say modest shear, instability, and lapse rates at best. I don't see where a lot of severe could come from.

To clarify I'm talking about SNE.

Agreed on SNE..

I know this is the SNE forum but I'm just much more interested in up north...since I'll have the opportunity to go chasing and such.  

Agreed on SNE..

I know this is the SNE forum but I'm just much more interested in up north...since I'll have the opportunity to go chasing and such.  

I haven't even really looked outside SNE yet. Just looking now.

S/w looks much better on 18z nam by the way. more well defined. that should give a boost.

I think north and east of ALB is the best place to be, now looking at Bufkit. I have a feeling the further west you are, rain and storms don't coincide with best daytime heating. I'm willing to bet northeastern NY state north of Albany over to VT and maybe into NH is the best place to be. 

Hodo's do improve as the day goes on tomorrow in ny state/vt/nh. 

Totally meh in SNE, at least where most people live.

I haven't even really looked outside SNE yet. Just looking now.

S/w looks much better on 18z nam by the way. more well defined. that should give a boost.

I think north and east of ALB is the best place to be, now looking at Bufkit. I have a feeling the further west you are, rain and storms don't coincide with best daytime heating. I'm willing to bet northeastern NY state north of Albany over to VT and maybe into NH is the best place to be. 

Hodo's do improve as the day goes on tomorrow in ny state/vt/nh. 

Totally meh in SNE, at least where most people live.

western MA/western CT can't be ruled out, especially if the pre-frontal trough setsup further east...if that does they western MA/CT are in the game, and probably would happen as early as 3 PM or so.  

western MA/western CT can't be ruled out, especially if the pre-frontal trough setsup further east...if that does they western MA/CT are in the game, and probably would happen as early as 3 PM or so.  

Probably the best chances inside this bubble. There isn't an east-west interstate between upstate NY and VT. Maybe go to Springfield, nowcast and decide whether or not you want to go up 91 or head NW towards ALB.

2re0bw0.png

Probably the best chances inside this bubble. There isn't an east-west interstate between upstate NY and VT. Maybe go to Springfield, nowcast and decide whether or not you want to go up 91 or head NW towards ALB.

2re0bw0.png

My friend does know roads to get into VT from upstate NY if we need to head west.  We plan on leaving around 8 AM so we will wake up around 6:30 and look things over.  Will be going to bed right after the B's game tonight.

Wiz, ALY changed their tune big time:

"MANY FACTORS FAVORING SEVERE

THUNDERSTORMS ARE IN PLACE INCLUDING SBCAPES OF 1500-2500 J/KG BY

MID AFTERNOON...0-3 KM HELICITY VALUES OF 150-250 M2/S2...H8 JET

AXIS MOVING INTO EASTERN NY OF 35-45 KTS WITH LOW LEVEL

CONVERGENCE...H3 JET EXHIBITING A DUAL JET STRUCTURE WITH FA IN

FAVORED RIGHT ENTRANCE REGION OF THE JET WHICH IS UP ACRS SRN

CANADA...AND BUFKIT MODEL SOUNDINGS INDICATING STRONG RIGHT

TURNING HODOGRAPH. AS IF THESE FACTORS WERE NOT ENOUGH THE PWATS

ARE BTWN 1.75 AND CLOSE TO 2 INCHES ACRS BULK OF FA. EXPECT

THUNDERSTORMS TO FORM INTO LINES WITH THE LINES MOVING EAST AS

INDIVIDUAL THUNDERSTORMS TRACK FROM SOUTHWEST TO NORTHEAST AT 35

TO 45 KTS ALONG THE LINE. SUPERCELLS MAY ALSO FOR AHEAD OF THE

LINES OR BE EMBEDDED ALONG THE LINES WITH THE POTENTIAL FOR

ISOLATED TORNADOES."

RAP likely overdoing instability again, but shows SBCAPE up at 3100-3200 in the Albany area. Looks like a good starting point and I'm going to check out the damage from the two tornadoes on Wednesday as well.

Albany area is definitely the way to go... good luck Quincy and Wiz! 

Archived