Newest Member
    joxey
Plains tornado threat Mon 5/27-Fri 5/31

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

from Twitter!!!!

Patrick Marsh @pmarshwx

People focusing on EF5 rating and 295+ mph winds of El Reno tornado. How about 150+ mph forward speed of subvortices near researcher deaths?

supposedly the data is coming soon. saw from another source as well.

one issue there was, i think, a lot of chasers were not paying as much attention to the parent meso as the subvorticies etc. it ended up fully 'dropping' on them.

from Twitter!!!!

Patrick Marsh @pmarshwx

People focusing on EF5 rating and 295+ mph winds of El Reno tornado. How about 150+ mph forward speed of subvortices near researcher deaths?

Wow, that right there might be the most incredible piece to this puzzle.

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NORMAN OK

1206 PM CDT TUE JUN 4 2013

...UPDATE ON MAY 31 EL RENO TORNADO...

METEOROLOGISTS WITH THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE AND RESEARCHERS FROM

THE UNIVERSITY OF OKLAHOMA CONTINUE TO INVESTIGATE INFORMATION

RELATED TO THE MAY 31 EL RENO TORNADO.

WITH THIS INVESTIGATION... THE TORNADO HAS BEEN UPGRADED TO AN EF5

TORNADO BASED ON VELOCITY DATA FROM THE RESEARCH MOBILE RADAR DATA

FROM THE UNIVERSITY OF OKLAHOMA RAXPOL RADAR. IN ADDITION... THE

WIDTH OF TORNADO WAS MEASURED BY THE MOBILE RADAR DATA TO BE 2.6

MILES AFTER THE TORNADO PASSED EAST OF US HIGHWAY 81 SOUTH OF EL

RENO. THIS WIDTH IS THE WIDTH OF THE TORNADO ITSELF AND DOES NOT

INCLUDE THE DAMAGING STRAIGHT-LINE WINDS NEAR THE TORNADO AS

DETERMINED BY THE HIGH-RESOLUTION MOBILE RADAR DATA. THE 2.6 MILE

TORNADO PATH WIDTH IS BELIEVED TO BE THE WIDEST TORNADO ON RECORD

IN THE UNITED STATES.

.EL RENO TORNADO

RATING: EF5

PATH LENGTH /STATUTE/: 16.2 MILES

PATH WIDTH /MAXIMUM/: 2.6 MILES

FATALITIES: N/A

INJURIES: N/A

START DATE: MAY 31 2013

START TIME: 6:03 PM CDT

START LOCATION: 8.3 WSW OF EL RENO /CANADIAN COUNTY /OK

NEAR COURTNEY ROAD ABOUT 1 MILE NORTH

OF REUTER ROAD

START LAT/LON: 35.495 / -98.095

END DATE: MAY 31 2013

END TIME: 6:43 PM CDT

END LOCATION: 6.2 ESE OF EL RENO /CANADIAN COUNTY /OK

NEAR INTERSTATE 40 AND BANNER ROAD

END LAT/LON: 35.502 / -97.848

$

SMITH/GARFIELD/SPEHEGER/AUSTIN

That tornado was absolutely outrageous, I would have never imagined vortices moving at a forward speed like that. I expected it to be an EF5 so that's not surprising, the 2.6 mile wide width is. For me, its in the Top 5 most epic recorded tornadoes and that is a true achievement, 2013 has been extraordinary regardless of number of total tornadoes.

Astonishing. This obviously could have been catastrophic if it stayed together.

The point of maximum width and intensity on the path map posted above corresponds to this radar image:

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1370377525.278758.jpg

Or if it had developed further east, I literally can't imagine what we'd be looking back on now had a tornado of that size and intensity enveloped the OKC metro with basically every road in the city clogged with traffic.

Or if it had developed further east, I literally can't imagine what we'd be looking back on now had a tornado of that size and intensity enveloped the OKC metro with basically every road in the city clogged with traffic.

Agreed andy, I kept telling a friend when we were tracking the tornado man if this were in OKC, we have spotters clogging roads, civilians out there (some who are just getting on the road to outrun it thanks to the Moore event), this could be horrible. Seriously, we lost some great chasers and lives were lost, but we could've been looking at the worst tornado in US history wrt deaths and damage ever. I find it would certainly eclipse the tri-state tornado because of all the motorists that would be helpless in the downtown area. 

Some said with Sandy, areas dodged a bullet. That might be true despite the devastation, though the damage was done. However, in this instance, it really could have been much worse. 

Has anyone seen this image:

wx-brad-scar.jpg

wait till you get snowcover... the 37 mile scar of the 2011 Springfield Massachusetts tornado track was still visible on sat images this last winter by differential snowcover

(EDIT: actually, may not be visible if not a wooded area... the MA tornado went through forested area)

Leave it to Bill Nye the "Science" guy to not-so-subtly hint that climate change was responsible for the El Reno tornado's width. Had the audacity to not only claim that climate change models hint at stronger tornadoes (uh?), but cites the fact that there were tornadoes in Brooklyn last year (gasp!) as evidence of change.

Don't mean to derail the thread, but ugh.... it was only a matter of time... 

Leave it to Bill Nye the "Science" guy to not-so-subtly hint that climate change was responsible for the El Reno tornado's width. Had the audacity to not only claim that climate change models hint at stronger tornadoes (uh?), but cites the fact that there were tornadoes in Brooklyn last year (gasp!) as evidence of change.

Don't mean to derail the thread, but ugh.... it was only a matter of time... 

He needs to shut up, no other way to put it.

Archived