AREAS AFFECTED...MOST OF OK

CONCERNING...SEVERE POTENTIAL...TORNADO WATCH LIKELY

VALID 311940Z - 312115Z

PROBABILITY OF WATCH ISSUANCE...95 PERCENT

SUMMARY...PDS TORNADO WATCH WILL BE ISSUED BY 21Z. ISOLATED TO
SCATTERED DISCRETE SUPERCELLS SHOULD FORM ALONG DRYLINE BETWEEN
21-23Z WITH PRIMARY INITIAL THREAT OF VERY LARGE HAIL AND ISOLATED
SEVERE WINDS. TORNADO RISK WILL INCREASE TOWARDS 00Z WITH AN
EXPECTATION OF A FEW SIGNIFICANT TORNADOES.

DISCUSSION...19Z SURFACE ANALYSIS PLACED A QUASI-STATIONARY FRONT
FROM GRANT TO CUSTER COUNTIES WITH A DRYLINE DRAPED S/SWWD INTO THE
LOW ROLLING PLAINS OF NWRN TX. SURFACE TEMPERATURES HAVE NOW
BREACHED 100 DEG F ALONG THE RED RIVER IN SWRN OK/NWRN
TX...RESULTING IN MINIMAL MLCIN PER MODIFIED 18Z OUN RAOB. CU JUST
AHEAD OF THE DRYLINE HAS BECOME MORE AGITATED IN LATEST VISIBLE
SATELLITE IMAGERY AND SHOULD CONTINUE TO GROW WITH GLANCING
INFLUENCE OF A SHORTWAVE IMPULSE OVER THE CNTRL HIGH PLAINS. THIS
SHOULD RESULT IN TSTM INITIATION BY 21Z.

STRONG EFFECTIVE SHEAR WILL PROMOTE SUPERCELLS WITH AN INITIAL
PRIMARY RISK OF VERY LARGE HAIL. WITH A PLUME OF 73-74 DEG F SURFACE
DEW POINTS REMAINING ACROSS CNTRL OK BENEATH THE CAPPING INVERSION
NOTED IN 18Z OUN RAOB...AND AS THE LLJ INTENSIFIES BY 00Z...TORNADO
THREAT WILL INCREASE SUBSTANTIALLY. SOME OF THESE WILL LIKELY BE
SIGNIFICANT...ESPECIALLY ALONG THE I-35 CORRIDOR.

..GRAMS/HART.. 05/31/2013

ATTN...WFO...TSA...ICT...OUN...

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can someone briefly explain exactly what it is I'm supposed to look for in a sounding? (Relating to svr wx of course)

If this is the right thread for this type of question, I apologize! Just trying to gain a better understanding so I can contribute to the discussion.

The river gauge on the Fourche LaFave River near Gravelly went from around 3ft to over 30 feet in just hours!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Garrett-Lewis-5NEWS-Weather-Guy/288279856331?fref=ts

They are still searching for victims. 2 confirmed dead now with 3 still missing.

Early Friday, Scott County Judge James Forbes said they are currently searching for three people. Arkansas State Police said bodies have been recovered after flood water washed them away. They did not report how many or identify the victims.

Can someone briefly explain exactly what it is I'm supposed to look for in a sounding? (Relating to svr wx of course)

If this is the right thread for this type of question, I apologize! Just trying to gain a better understanding so I can contribute to the discussion.

Here's a good place to start:

http://www.atmos.millersville.edu/~lead/SkewT_HowTo.html

I get the impression given the upgraded hail parameters they just don't have enough confidence in coverage to make the 30% upgrade on the tor's....don't blame them thats a big leap but the upgrade in hail suggest to me that the severe threat has indeed elevated a notch and perhaps a 20 or 25% tor threat would be warranted...but I think they go from 15 to 30...

Winds are backing at OKC with time 200 degrees to 170 degrees over last 4 hours.

KOKC 311952Z 17014G20KT 10SM FEW034 BKN044 30/23 A2971 RMK AO2 SLP044 T03000233
KOKC 311852Z 18010KT 10SM SCT033 BKN041 BKN050 30/23 A2973 RMK AO2 SLP050 T03000228 $
KOKC 311752Z 20013KT 10SM FEW030 BKN046 OVC055 28/22 A2974 RMK AO2 SLP056 T02830222 10289 20233 58000
KOKC 311652Z 20012KT 10SM FEW025 BKN037 OVC045 27/22 A2976 RMK AO2 SLP062 T02720217 $

I get the impression given the upgraded hail parameters they just don't have enough confidence in coverage to make the 30% upgrade on the tor's....don't blame them thats a big leap but the upgrade in hail suggest to me that the severe threat has indeed elevated a notch and perhaps a 20 or 25% tor threat would be warranted...but I think they go from 15 to 30...

If nothing else, it would mean they are expecting stronger updrafts in the supercells, right?

Local news seems to want to hype this even more than the SPC.

IaVU2hl.jpg

I don't know that they're "hyping" this more than the SPC. They use different colors and wordings but they clearly don't follow the same spatial/probability scales of the SPC. Otherwise winds to near 80MPH, softball sized hail and tornadoes are all possible and the SPC has said the same?

Correct... tor probs go 15 to 30 with nothing in between... wouldn't be surprised to see a in-between upgrade if things go to town...

Also there is no high risk for hail probs -- http://www.spc.noaa.gov/misc/SPC_probotlk_info.html

Archived