Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Plains tornado threat Mon 5/27-Fri 5/31

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been super busy this week, so I haven't paid as much attention to things as I usually do until now.  The stuff that I'm seeing on the high resolution runs (SPC WRF, HRRR, etc.) are quite alarming to say the least.  The surface winds appear to back very quickly after 21z, rapidly enhancing 0-1 and 0-3 km helicities over regions that are extremely unstable and have convection initiated in the high res models.  I would not be surprised at all to see this go high risk.

Keep an eye on the surface obs over OK over the next few hours.

I've been super busy this week, so I haven't paid as much attention to things as I usually do until now.  The stuff that I'm seeing on the high resolution runs (SPC WRF, HRRR, etc.) are quite alarming to say the least.  The surface winds appear to back very quickly after 21z, rapidly enhancing 0-1 and 0-3 km helicities over regions that are extremely unstable and have convection initiated in the high res models.  I would not be surprised at all to see this go high risk.

Keep an eye on the surface obs over OK over the next few hours.

Days like this that a statewide mesonet like the one in OK can make a lot of difference. Wish more would understand they're worth the costs in these type of situations.

Has anyone ever seen the below two categories of tornado probabilities highlighted on an outlook? It seems as though it's common to create a larger 'RED' or 15% area or a larger pink 30% without further outlining a narrower, higher risk area.

I was looking a back at the d1 soundings for 4/27/11, and the 45/60 Outlook probabilities didn't even surface there - except for a small 45% TOR prob issued around 17z. Can it really get higher than that?

Is it even possible?

I'm guessing that's what the SPC will do if the upgrade to high risk - add a small narrow corridor of 'Pink' 30% tor probs in C/NE OK or SW MO

I've only seen 45 (Purple) once and never witnessed 60 (Blue) used in a convective outlook (with regard to the Tornado probabilities)

post-5832-0-74910500-1370026401_thumb.pn

IIRC 4/14/2012 had 45% tor probs in the 17Z outlook.

Has anyone ever seen the below two categories of tornado probabilities highlighted on an outlook? It seems as though it's common to create a larger 'RED' or 15% area or a larger pink 30% without further outlining a narrower, higher risk area.

I was looking a back at the d1 soundings for 4/27/11, and the 45/60 Outlook probabilities didn't even surface there.

Is it even possible?

I'm guessing that's what the SPC will do if the upgrade to high risk - add a small narrow corridor of 'Pink' 30% tor probs in C/NE OK or SW MO

I've just never seen 45 (Purple) or 60 (Blue) used in a convective outlook (with regard to the Tornado probabilities)

I was looking a back at the d1 soundings for 4/27/11, and the 45/60 Outlook probabilities didn't even surface there - except for a small 45% TOR prob issued around 17z. Can it really get higher than that?

Is it even possible?

I've only seen 45 (Purple) once and never witnessed 60 (Blue) used in a convective outlook (with regard to the Tornado probabilities)

April 14, 2012:

day1probotlk_20120414_1300_torn_prt.gif

That was on the Gallatin, TN day on April 7th, 2006.

The only other days to have gone higher than 30% are 4/27/11, 5/24/11 and 4/14/12.

That's great feedback - thanks Andy and gang.

60 probs is an extremely rare event - that's just incredible.

Hearing whisperings of extending the MDT risk for tornadoes well into MO via the Norman pow–wow this afternoon

Sent from Tapatalk

The 3 KM EHI in central MO has increased from 5 to 9 in the last 15 minutes, Central Oklahoma from 4 to 7 (viewing this on the SPC meso page).

Archived