Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
May 19-22 Severe Weather Threat

Hoosier

Might be chasing in NW Ohio-NE Indiana tomorrow

I see that the GFS has some 40 knot and 50 knot winds at 500mb for Indiana and the NW half of Ohio tomorrow, with CAPE over 1500 J/kg. I would expect a breezy day, with 25 knot wind gusts or more. The uni-directional shear (about 30 knots) may be strong enough for some scattered wind/hail reports in Indiana and Ohio. It doesn't even seem like the models forecast much rain.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah. Discussion mentions the possibility of brief tornadoes, but mainly a wind damage threat.

Severe Thunderstorm Watch just issued to the north of the Tornado Watch.

As for Hoosier's earlier thoughts, temp ticked up two degrees last hour...now 75/66 at LAF.

Looks like more rain heading up again in an hour or so.

Just had a flashback from last month....

I will say this though, the last storm that rolled through in the morning during that monsoon train had more punch than tonights storms around here in dupage

Fun chase tonight, made it out to Monkton, ON to intercept a severe warned line of storms. Managed to get there JUST before dark so still was able to see a pretty decent shelf. Wind gusts probably about 60mph, some small hail and great lightning. Saw one MASSIVE lightning strike close to me, was able to see sparks in the air for a few seconds afterwards. Finally some thunderstorm action :)

I'm pretty new at lightning photography, but here's my first ever success:

H9D3HcN.jpg

Fun chase tonight, made it out to Monkton, ON to intercept a severe warned line of storms. Managed to get there JUST before dark so still was able to see a pretty decent shelf. Wind gusts probably about 60mph, some small hail and great lightning. Saw one MASSIVE lightning strike close to me, was able to see sparks in the air for a few seconds afterwards. Final some thunderstorm action :)

Interesting, the cells that developed here in Western Michigan didn't have a whole lot of photogenic lightning strikes.  I think they were mostly hidden deep inside the rain.  The cell that dropped the 2-3 inch stones had a funny constant soft rumbling thunder that was hard to distinguish from the wind in the distance but very little CGs.

Interesting, the cells that developed here in Western Michigan didn't have a whole lot of photogenic lightning strikes.  I think they were mostly hidden deep inside the rain.  The cell that dropped the 2-3 inch stones had a funny constant soft rumbling thunder that was hard to distinguish from the wind in the distance but very little CGs.

Yeah the storms here earlier were strange in that regard. Despite the brief but intense rains and hail there was hardly any thunder or lightening and the clouds blah and did not have that look. I did enjoy it though while it lasted.

Will be interesting to see what that stuff crossing the lake can do once it arrives? Was a MD out for us but i guess no watch will be issued? Regardless some decent rains should be had which is more then welcome around here atleast.

I see that the GFS has some 40 knot and 50 knot winds at 500mb for Indiana and the NW half of Ohio tomorrow, with CAPE over 1500 J/kg. I would expect a breezy day, with 25 knot wind gusts or more. The uni-directional shear (about 30 knots) may be strong enough for some scattered wind/hail reports in Indiana and Ohio. It doesn't even seem like the models forecast much rain.

Lots of moisture too. However if getting sun is a struggle then I'll be staying at home as I'm pessimistic about that

DAY 1 CONVECTIVE OUTLOOK     NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK   1259 AM CDT TUE MAY 21 2013      VALID 211200Z - 221200Z      ...THERE IS A MDT RISK OF SVR TSTMS ACROSS PARTS OF SW AR...SE   OK...NW LA...CNTRL TX AND NE TX...      ...THERE IS A SLGT RISK OF SVR TSTMS ACROSS PARTS OF THE SRN   PLAINS...OZARKS...MID MS VALLEY...OH VALLEY AND GREAT LAKES...      ...SRN PLAINS/ARKLATEX/MID-MS VALLEY...   AN UPPER-LEVEL TROUGH WILL MOVE EWD FROM THE SRN ROCKIES INTO THE   SRN PLAINS TODAY. AT THE SFC...A COLD FRONT WILL ADVANCE SEWD ACROSS   CNTRL OK AND WCNTRL TX. AHEAD OF THE FRONT...SFC DEWPOINTS ACROSS   THE WARM SECTOR SHOULD BE IN THE MID TO UPPER 60S F RESULTING IN   MODERATE TO STRONG INSTABILITY BY THIS AFTERNOON. THUNDERSTORMS ARE   FORECAST TO BE ONGOING AT THE START OF THE PERIOD ACROSS ERN OK   WHERE AN ISOLATED THREAT FOR HAIL AND WIND DAMAGE MAY EXIST THIS   MORNING. WITH SFC HEATING...NEW THUNDERSTORMS ARE FORECAST TO   INITIATE ALONG AND AHEAD OF THE COLD FRONT FROM WRN AR SWWD INTO   NORTH TX AROUND MIDDAY. THE MODELS QUICKLY EXPAND THUNDERSTORM   COVERAGE WITH AN MCS ORGANIZING AND MOVING SEWD ACROSS THE MODERATE   RISK AREA. STRONG INSTABILITY...STEEP MID-LEVEL LAPSE RATES AND   MODERATE TO STRONG DEEP LAYER SHEAR SHOULD BE SUPPORTIVE OF   WIDESPREAD SEVERE THUNDERSTORM DEVELOPMENT ACROSS THE MODERATE RISK   AREA WHERE A SIGNIFICANT SEVERE WEATHER EVENT WILL BE POSSIBLE.      FORECAST SOUNDINGS AT 00Z/WED FROM LITTLE ROCK SWWD TO AROUND THE   DALLAS FORT WORTH METROPLEX SHOW MLCAPE VALUES OF 2500 TO 4000 J/KG   WITH 0-6KM SHEAR OF 45 TO 55 KT. THIS ALONG WITH 850 TO 500 MB LAPSE   RATES AROUND 7.5 C/KM SHOULD RESULT IN A POTENTIAL FOR SUPERCELLS   WITH LARGE HAIL. HAILSTONES OF GREATER THAN 2 INCHES IN DIAMETER   WILL BE POSSIBLE WITH THE MORE INTENSE SUPERCELLS. IN ADDITION...THE   MORE DOMINANT SUPERCELLS SHOULD BE CAPABLE OF PRODUCING TORNADOES AS   THE LOW-LEVEL JET STRENGTHENS. A FEW STRONG TORNADOES COULD OCCUR   NEAR THE LOW-LEVEL JET AS BOUNDARY LAYER SHEAR BECOMES MORE   FAVORABLE DURING THE EARLY EVENING. THE MODELS SUGGEST CELLS MAY BE   DISCRETE AT THE START OF THE EVENT WITH A TRANSITION TO A   SQUALL-LINE. THIS WOULD MAKE THE WIND DAMAGE THREAT INCREASINGLY   DOMINANT AS A LINEAR MCS ORGANIZES EARLY THIS EVENING. FOR THIS   REASON...AN ENHANCED WIND DAMAGE THREAT WILL BE POSSIBLE ACROSS THE   MODERATE RISK AREA.      ...GREAT LAKES/OH VALLEY...   SOUTHWEST FLOW WILL BE IN PLACE TODAY FROM THE MID-MS VALLEY NEWD   INTO THE GREAT LAKES REGION. AT THE SFC...A LOW IS FORECAST TO MOVE   EWD ACROSS THE UPPER MS VALLEY WITH A CORRIDOR OF LOW-LEVEL MOISTURE   EXTENDING NNEWD FROM THE LOWER OH VALLEY INTO LOWER MI. SFC   DEWPOINTS ACROSS SRN IL...NW IND AND LOWER MI SHOULD BE IN THE MID   60S F RESULTING IN MODERATE DESTABILIZATION. MODEL FORECASTS   INITIATE STORMS BY MID AFTERNOON ALONG THE INSTABILITY AXIS WITH   STORMS MOVING NEWD ACROSS THE REGION. FORECAST SOUNDINGS ALONG THE   INSTABILITY AXIS WEST OF DETROIT AND NORTH OF INDIANAPOLIS AT 21Z   SHOW MLCAPE VALUES IN THE 1000 TO 2000 J/KG RANGE WITH STEEP   LOW-LEVEL LAPSE RATES AND UNIDIRECTIONAL WIND PROFILES. THIS   ENVIRONMENT SHOULD BE FAVORABLE FOR WIND DAMAGE AS CELLS INCREASE IN   COVERAGE THIS AFTERNOON. SEVERAL MODEL FORECASTS SHOW AN ENHANCED   SEVERE THREAT ACROSS LOWER MI TO THE SOUTHEAST OF THE SFC LOW AND ON   THE NOSE OF THE LOW-LEVEL JET. FOR THIS REASON...AN ENHANCED WIND   DAMAGE THREAT WILL BE POSSIBLE WITH BOWING LINE-SEGMENTS IN LOWER MI   LATE THIS AFTERNOON. LARGE HAIL AND A FEW TORNADOES MAY ALSO OCCUR   WITH THE MORE INTENSE CELLS.      ...NRN APPALACHIAN MTNS...   AN UPPER-LEVEL RIDGE WILL BE IN PLACE TODAY ACROSS THE APPALACHIAN   MTNS. IN SPITE OF THE RIDGE...MODERATE INSTABILITY IS FORECAST TO   DEVELOP FROM PA NEWD ACROSS CNTRL NY WHERE SFC DEWPOINTS SHOULD BE   IN THE LOWER TO MID 60S F. THE MODELS APPEAR TO MOVE A DISTURBANCE   OVER THE TOP OF THE RIDGE WHICH WOULD HELP WITH CONVECTIVE   INITIATION THIS AFTERNOON. IF STORMS CAN DEVELOP IN SPITE OF THE   WEAK LARGE-SCALE ASCENT...THEN STEEP LOW-LEVEL LAPSE RATES COUPLED   WITH MODERATE INSTABILITY AND SUFFICIENT DEEP LAYER SHEAR COULD BE   SUPPORTIVE OF A MARGINAL WIND DAMAGE THREAT.

day1otlk_1200.gif

day1probotlk_1200_torn.gif

day1probotlk_1200_wind.gif

Tomorrow there is an enhanced area of severe for most of Lower Michigan again. Most models show scattered convection firing on the lead edge of the LLJ tomorrow evening. As busy as today was across the state, tomorrow has a higher potential due to the increased amount of speed shear forecasted tomorrow evening along with favorable amounts of instability though not nearly as much as today. 

Fun chase tonight, made it out to Monkton, ON to intercept a severe warned line of storms. Managed to get there JUST before dark so still was able to see a pretty decent shelf. Wind gusts probably about 60mph, some small hail and great lightning. Saw one MASSIVE lightning strike close to me, was able to see sparks in the air for a few seconds afterwards. Finally some thunderstorm action :)

Yeah it was just a normal thunderstorm here with a cool shelf in front about 23 minutes before the real storm came. The colour of the sky was pretty strange though. Didn't see any hail at all either. What was impressive was the speed it came in, one of the top 6 fastest ones I've experienced. A very similar event to this one occurred sometime around May 25, 2010 but I don't know if that's the correct date.

We had plenty of lightning last night, and about 15 minutes of heavy, wind whipped rain.  Probably had some gusts that topped 40mph last night, easily.  Not at all like the June and July 2011 storms, but pretty decent all the same.,  Small branches down around the neighborhood, although, nothing of any significance.  Also, today is garbage/recycling pick up day, and plenty of cardboard and paper strewn about, because most folks put there recycling out the night before.

Had some pretty strong wind go thru. 57mph recorded on a wunderground station. Looks like we are the only house with power in the neighborhood too. Sent from my SCH-I535 2

A number of wind damage reports in the IND cwa. Had some gusty winds in LAF but nothing too bad.

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE INDIANAPOLIS IN
115 PM EDT TUE MAY 21 2013

..TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON...
..DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
..REMARKS..

0240 AM TORNADO NORTH SALEM 39.86N 86.64W
05/21/2013 HENDRICKS IN NWS STORM SURVEY

EF0 TORNADO CAUSED DAMAGE TREE AND ROOF DAMAGE.
UPDATING PREVIOUS DAMAGING THUNDERSTORM WIND REPORT.
TIME ESTIMATED FROM RADAR.

115 PM EDT TUE MAY 21 2013

..REMARKS..

0240 AM TORNADO NORTH SALEM 39.86N 86.64W

05/21/2013 HENDRICKS IN NWS STORM SURVEY

EF0 TORNADO CAUSED DAMAGE TREE AND ROOF DAMAGE.

UPDATING PREVIOUS DAMAGING THUNDERSTORM WIND REPORT.

TIME ESTIMATED FROM RADAR.

This one sounds kinda interesting. Haven't checked radar so not sure if there was any couplet at the time.

1022 AM EDT TUE MAY 21 2013

.TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON

.DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE.

..REMARKS..

0238 AM TSTM WND DMG WASHINGTON 38.66N 87.17W

05/21/2013 DAVIESS IN EMERGENCY MNGR

ROOF DAMAGE DOWNTOWN...ONE ROOF WAS ONLY 2 YEARS OLD AND DEBRIS FROM IT FLEW 3 BLOCKS. DAMAGE TO OLD TREES AND STRUCTURALLY UNSOUND OUT BUILDINGS AND CANOPYS. WIND DAMAGE FROM SW 5TH STREET MOVING TO NE 21ST STREET. MEASURED WIND SPEED OF 33 MPH AT THE HIGH SCHOOL.

2% tornado risk for Southern Ontario. Just pulled this sounding for 17Z near Barrie, ON. Today may get interesting :

I'm hopeful but what I don't like is the cloudiness that has been occurring all this morning and into this early afternoon. The sun is breaking out a lot more these last 2 hours but still quite a few clouds and raindrops briefly. A quasi-linear line started just to my east at noon and I did see dark clouds in the distance, didn't think much of it.

247 PM EDT TUE MAY 21 2013

..REMARKS..

0230 AM TORNADO 3 E ROACHDALE 39.85N 86.74W
05/21/2013 PUTNAM IN NWS STORM SURVEY

EF0 TORNADO. TREES DOWN. BARN DESTROYED. IRRIGATION
SYSTEM FLIPPED. THIS IS AN UPDATE TO THE EARLIER REPORT
OF DAMAGING THUNDERSTORM WINDS AT 3E ROACHDALE.

If someone would have told me 3 days ago that we wouldn’t see severe weather around here, I would have laughed and told them they’re crazy.

Now, I’m looking at myself in the mirror thinking, “wow, I’m crazy”.

3 days with 3-4 separate severe weather chances… And slipped by with NOTHING? I don’t know if I should look at that as lucky because I’ve been working outside, or not lucky because I love storms.

If someone would have told me 3 days ago that we wouldn’t see severe weather around here, I would have laughed and told them they’re crazy.

Now, I’m looking at myself in the mirror thinking, “wow, I’m crazy”.

3 days with 3-4 separate severe weather chances… And slipped by with NOTHING? I don’t know if I should look at that as lucky because I’ve been working outside, or not lucky because I love storms.

I mean, I guess that's how severe weather works though, right? ... Hit or miss, mostly miss. It's not as if there was no action region wide so you can't really call it a bust

Archived