Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
May 19-22 Severe Weather Threat

Hoosier

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

88/53 here in Western Springs,  Winds are W @ 30+ Sun is shining, and it is dry, and kind of nice out side right now.

Just got a call from my son who lives in Texas, he is in Oklahoma, chasing storms at the moment, and he is targeting a decent cell coming out of Wichita Falls and moving NE.  Looks pretty active down that way again today. 

Izzi punts until late tonight...door closing

What's funny about this is all the severe weather that happens west of us, including in the Plains (where they haven't seen nearly as much rain this spring as many of us), and yet still we can't avoid near desert like conditions when there finally is a decent chance of severe.

The SPC WRF from last night may have been onto something. It held off on redevelopment across IA/IL until closer to 00z, not getting into Chicago until after 6z. The 12z run did speed up the timing by several hours but we'd have to see development very soon for that to happen.

Certainly don't mean to clutter this or the other thread, but holy sh*t to that Moore, OK tornado. Awful.

Breaks my heart. Joplin is near and dear to me but you never want anything like that to be repeated. I am just thankful for a far less eventful tornado season for Indiana and pray for those who have seen this.

Breaks my heart. Joplin is near and dear to me but you never want anything like that to be repeated. I am just thankful for a far less eventful tornado season for Indiana and pray for those who have seen this.

Yeah, tough to see the aftermath being shown right now. Always is.

I may have been a little too skeptical about the overnight severe threat around here. Models don't kill off the instability too much. I'll feel better about overnight prospects if temps hang in the 70s and dewpoints come up some.

I may have been a little too skeptical about the overnight severe threat around here. Models don't kill off the instability too much. I'll feel better about overnight prospects if temps hang in the 70s and dewpoints come up some.

Seems likely we'll stay in the 70's, but not sure how much dews will come up. It's juicy to our southwest in southern IL, but of course drier just to our northwest. 

No go for the lower two tiers of SEMI I'd say... At least with this line.           

But you know what? I ain't even mad about it.

Overall, it was a gorgeous day.

Besides, there's still tomorrow, and still a good 4 months of severe weather season to go.

Seems likely we'll stay in the 70's, but not sure how much dews will come up. It's juicy to our southwest in southern IL, but of course drier just to our northwest.

Tough to say. Our source region is from downstate and drier air aloft probably won't be able to mix down to the surface as well later tonight. If I had to bet one way or another I'd say there would be a very slow increase perhaps into the upper 60s.

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION...UPDATED

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO/ROMEOVILLE IL

544 PM CDT MON MAY 20 2013

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION

544 PM CDT

LATEST VISIBLE SATELLITE IMAGERY IS PAINTING A MUCH CLEARER PICTURE OF THE POTENTIAL CONVECTIVE EVOLUTION AND THREAT THIS EVENING. OUTFLOW BOUNDARY FROM LAST NIGHT'S CONVECTION SHOWS UP NICELY IN FORM OF CUMULUS CONGESTUS FIELD EXTENDING FROM NEAR KRZL WEST TO KAAA TO KUIN. SATELLITE SHOWS THIS BOUNDARY LIFTING RAPIDLY NORTHWARD AT OVER 20KT WITH AN IMPRESSIVE JUMP IN DEWPOINTS NOTED WITH THE PASSAGE OF THIS BOUNDARY. SFC OBS SHOW ABOUT A 10F JUMP IN TDS AS THE BOUNDARY PASSES WITH A CORRESPONDING INCREASE IN SFC BASED CAPE. WINDS IN THE WAKE OF THIS BOUNDARY HAVE BACKED MORE SOUTH TO EVEN SOUTHEASTERLY RESULTING IN STRONGER DEEP AND LOW LEVEL SHEAR PROFILES COMPARED TO IN THE MORE STABLE ENVIRONMENT NORTH OF THE FRONT.

RAP GUIDANCE SUGGESTS THAT THE LOW LEVEL FLOW WILL INCREASE THIS EVENING INCREASING LOW LEVEL THETA-E ADVECTION AS WELL AS STRENGTHENING MOISTURE CONVERGENCE ALONG AND NORTH OF THIS RETREATING BOUNDARY. SEVERAL SCATTERED SUPERCELLS ARE ONGOING OVER CENTRAL MISSOURI AT THIS TIME AND WOULD ANTICIPATE THESE STORMS TO CONGEAL INTO A QLCS AND POTENTIALLY ACCELERATE NORTHEASTWARD INTO AND ACROSS CENTRAL AND LIKELY NORTHERN ILLINOIS LATER THIS EVENING. WHILE BOUNDARY WILL LIKELY BE LIFTING NORTH ACROSS THE CWA THIS EVENING RESULTING IN FAIRLY QUICK DESTABILIZATION...THIS COULD BE OFFSET SOMEWHAT BY NOCTURNAL COOLING. EVEN SO...THERE IS A VERY REAL THREAT THAT THE SEVERE STORMS OVER MISSOURI COULD GAIN SUFFICIENT MESOSCALE ORGANIZATION TO MAINTAIN A PRETTY DECENT SEVERE THREAT INTO OUR CWA MID TO LATE THIS EVENING...ESPECIALLY THE FARTHER SOUTH AND WEST YOU GO OVER OUR AREA.

EXPECTATION IS THAT THE PRIMARY STORM MODE WILL BE LINEAR BY THE TIME STORMS ARRIVE INTO OUR AREA...GIVEN THIS AND THE LOSS OF DAYTIME HEATING THINK THE PRIMARY THREAT WILL BE DAMAGING WINDS WITH A SOMEWHAT LOWER SECONDARY THREAT BEING LARGE HAIL. CURRENTLY...SFC OBS SHOW A LESSER DEFINED BUT SECONDARY PUSH OF MORE MOIST AIR LAGGING THE INITIAL OUTFLOW BOUNDARY BY ABOUT 100MI TO THE SOUTH WITH TDS CLOSER TO 70F THERE. ASSUMING THIS REALLY GOOD MOISTURE DOES NOT CATCH UP WITH THE RETREATING OUTFLOW BOUNDARY THIS EVENING THEN THE TORNADO THREAT WILL LIKELY BE PRETTY LOW. GIVEN THE STRENGTHENING LOW LEVEL JET AND POTENTIAL FOR THIS OUTFLOW BOUNDARY TO STILL BE ALIGNED SOMEWHAT PERPENDICULARLY TO THE QLCS THE TORNADO THREAT IS NOT TOTALLY ZERO LATER THIS EVENING.

CANNOT RULE OUT ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS DEVELOPING ALONG THE NORTHWARD MOVING OUTFLOW/PSEUDO WARM FRONT THIS EVENING...BUT THE MORE ORGANIZED THREAT OF CONVECTION WILL LIKELY NOT ARRIVE UNTIL 01-02Z OVER FAR SOUTHWEST CWA SPREADING NORTHEAST ACROSS THE AREA THROUGH THE LATE EVENING.

IZZI

Went chasing today and saw 2" diameter hail on the ground near Rodney MI.  Found this following just behind the initial supercell that formed near Fremont MI and moved into Mecosta Co.  Biggest stone I've ever seen in person.  Would have been nice to actually see them as they fell but I didn't dare punch into that storm. 

post-7914-0-60311200-1369092528_thumb.jp

Archived