• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
May 19-22 Severe Weather Threat

Hoosier

5 tor/30wind/30hail the only caveat is if the MCS near KC keeps going through the night, the models have it falling apart overnight. If it falls apart it will lay down outflow boundaries and will have a MCV associated with it which will ignite storms tomorrow. 

What areas do you think will be prime in S MI tomorrow? Think the risk could move into SW ON as the day progresses? 

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What areas do you think will be prime in S MI tomorrow? Think the risk could move into SW ON as the day progresses? 

I think most areas in the Lower Peninsula of Michigan have a potential, it could extend into Ontario later in the evening hours, though it might be undergoing a weakening trend by that point.

I think most areas in the Lower Peninsula of Michigan have a potential, it could extend into Ontario later in the evening hours, though it might be undergoing a weakening trend by that point.

Thanks for that Stebo. Just trying to get some sort of handle on storm potential here tomorrow as high res seems to be all over the place. NAM NMMB high res has some sort of MCS pushing SE across SW/SC ON...while other high res models have scattered storms through the overnight....

ULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED  
TORNADO WARNING  
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE QUAD CITIES IA IL  
807 PM CDT SUN MAY 19 2013  

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN THE QUAD CITIES HAS ISSUED A  

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...  
CENTRAL CARROLL COUNTY IN NORTHWEST ILLINOIS...  

* UNTIL 830 PM CDT  

* AT 802 PM CDT...A CONFIRMED TORNADO WAS LOCATED NEAR ARGO FAY...AND  
MOVING NORTHEAST AT 40 MPH.  

HAZARD...DAMAGING TORNADO AND HALF DOLLAR SIZE HAIL.  

SOURCE...EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT CONFIRMED TORNADO.  

IMPACT...MOBILE HOMES WILL BE HEAVILY DAMAGED OR DESTROYED.  
SIGNIFICANT DAMAGE TO ROOFS...WINDOWS AND VEHICLES WILL  
OCCUR. FLYING DEBRIS WILL BE DEADLY TO PEOPLE AND ANIMALS.  
EXTENSIVE TREE DAMAGE IS LIKELY

The tornado warned cell is only about 6 miles from Mt. Carroll. Looks like it will pass pretty close to the town.

The air is pretty stable over this way - not sure if the storms will make severe limits this far east.

New tornado watch issued further east. - just to my west.

TORNADO WATCH OUTLINE UPDATE FOR WT 187NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK810 PM CDT SUN MAY 19 2013TORNADO WATCH 187 IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 300 AM CDT FOR THE FOLLOWING LOCATIONSILC007-011-015-037-057-067-071-073-085-089-093-095-099-103-109-111-123-125-131-141-143-155-161-169-175-177-179-187-195-201-203-200800-/O.NEW.KWNS.TO.A.0187.130520T0110Z-130520T0800Z/IL.    ILLINOIS COUNTIES INCLUDED AREBOONE                BUREAU              CARROLLDE KALB              FULTON              HANCOCKHENDERSON            HENRY               JO DAVIESSKANE                 KENDALL             KNOXLA SALLE             LEE                 MARSHALLMASON                MCDONOUGH           MCHENRYMERCER               OGLE                PEORIAPUTNAM               ROCK ISLAND         SCHUYLERSTARK                STEPHENSON          TAZEWELLWARREN               WHITESIDE           WINNEBAGOWOODFORD$$

The tornado warned cell is only about 6 miles from Mt. Carroll. Looks like it will pass pretty close to the town.

The air is pretty stable over this way - not sure if the storms will make severe limits this far east.

At the lake shore yes, but just a county West of there it is a different story.

Here's the LOT mesoscale update as of ~90 minutes ago

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION...UPDATED

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO/ROMEOVILLE IL

710 PM CDT SUN MAY 19 2013

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION

709 PM CDT

CONTINUING TO MONITOR STRONG CONVECTION IN NORTHWEST IL AND ENVIRONMENTAL TRENDS AHEAD OF IT. THERE IS A LIKELIHOOD FOR SOME OF THIS TO REACH THE NORTHWESTERN AND WESTERN FORECAST AREA...BUT SEVERE POTENTIAL MAY BE LIMITED.

THE CONVECTION THAT DEVELOPED NEAR THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER LATE THIS AFTERNOON WAS AND CONTINUES TO BE ON THE FRONT EDGE OF AN INCREASING MID-LEVEL JET. THIS IS ALSO ON A SURFACE WARM FRONT AND HIGH T/TD TONGUE WITH ASSOCIATED LARGE CAPE OF 3500+ J/KG VERIFIED BY THE 00Z DVN RAOB DATA. RADAR AND OBSERVATION TRENDS SHOW THAT THE STORM AREA NEAR GALESBURG HAS AN ORGANIZED STRUCTURE AND IS MOVING MORE ENE AND DEVIANT FROM THE MEAN STEERING FLOW...WITH GALESBURG HAVING GUSTED TO 39 KT. BUNKERS MOTION VECTORS INDICATE THIS SHOULD CONTINUE TO MOVE NORTHEAST LIKELY AROUND 30 KT AND BE THE PRIMARY STORM AREA THAT COULD IMPACT WESTERN LASALLE/LEE/OGLE/WINNEBAGO COUNTIES BETWEEN 830 AND 1100 PM. DEEP LAYER SHEAR OF AROUND 40 KT SHOULD INCREASE TO 50-55 KT BY LATE EVE AND SUPPORT ORGANIZED AND REGENERATING STORMS IN NW IL...WHICH IS SUPPORTED BY A PORTION OF THE CONVECTIVE ALLOWING GUIDANCE. THESE LOOK TO MAINTAIN AT LEAST A WIND AND HAIL THREAT INTO THE MID TO LATE EVE AND A WATCH MAY BE NEEDED...PER SPC SWOMCD.

MTF/KREIN

At the lake shore yes, but just a county West of there it is a different story.

It will be interesting, I saw east winds are being recorded well inland, so any lake breeze has reached a bit inland, as also seen by the UW radar map (the one that Turtle so kindly shared with us a year ago).  Looks strong now, and the dewpoints are still high despite the wind shift, so I could see this bow echo making it pretty close to the lake, but wouldn't be surprised if it petered at the end.

URGENT - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED  
TORNADO WATCH NUMBER 187  
NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK  
810 PM CDT SUN MAY 19 2013  

THE NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER HAS ISSUED A  

* TORNADO WATCH FOR PORTIONS OF  
NORTHEASTERN IOWA  
WESTERN ANDN NORTHERN ILLINOIS  
SOUTHEAST MINNESOTA  
FAR NORTHEAST MISSOURI  
WESTERN AND SOUTHERN WISCONSIN  

* EFFECTIVE THIS SUNDAY NIGHT AND MONDAY MORNING FROM 810 PM  
UNTIL 300 AM CDT.  

* PRIMARY THREATS INCLUDE...  
SEVERAL TORNADOES POSSIBLE  
NUMEROUS DAMAGING WIND GUSTS TO 70 MPH LIKELY  
SEVERAL LARGE HAIL EVENTS TO 1.5 INCHES IN DIAMETER POSSIBLE  

OTHER WATCH INFORMATION...CONTINUE...WW 180...WW 181...WW  
182...WW 183...WW 184...WW 185...WW 186...  

DISCUSSION...NUMEROUS BANDS/CLUSTERS OF TSTMS EXPECTED TO AFFECT WW  
AREA THIS EVE THROUGH EARLY MON AS MOIST...SSWLY LLJ NOCTURNALLY  
STRENGTHENS AND SWLY MID-LVL FLOW INTENSIFIES WITH THE CONTINUED NE  
ADVANCE OF 70+ KT MID SPEED MAX IN E QUADRANT OF NEB UPR LOW.  
ACTIVITY MAY INCLUDE A FEW SUSTAINED STORMS...SUPERCELLS...AND LEWPS  
WITH A RISK FOR DMGG WIND...HAIL...AND POSSIBLY TORNADOES DESPITE  
LOSS OF DAYTIME HEATING.

It will be interesting, I saw east winds are being recorded well inland, so any lake breeze has reached a bit inland, as also seen by the UW radar map (the one that Turtle so kindly shared with us a year ago).  Looks strong now, and the dewpoints are still high despite the wind shift, so I could see this bow echo making it pretty close to the lake, but wouldn't be surprised if it petered at the end.

It will just go elevated by that point, the line isn't going to evaporate in a county or so distance. Once it gets out over the lake however all bets are off.

It will just go elevated by that point, the line isn't going to evaporate in a county or so distance. Once it gets out over the lake however all bets are off.

I've seen stranger things, there was an event last summer (late July I believe) where a line went from an intense squall line in SC Wisconsin to light/moderate rain with a couple claps of thunder once it got to the lakeshore counties, and keep in mind, the line was moving pretty quickly as well.  This particular bow is a slow mover.

18z NAM had some very impressive instability here tomorrow. I'm not quite convinced that its 70+ degree dewpoints are going to be accurate though so it may be overdone.

A lot of upper 60s/lower 70s dew points across Paducah's CWA, I'd say it isn't that much of a stretch to be honest.

I've seen stranger things, there was an event last summer (late July I believe) where a line went from an intense squall line in SC Wisconsin to light/moderate rain with a couple claps of thunder once it got to the lakeshore counties, and keep in mind, the line was moving pretty quickly as well.  This particular bow is a slow mover.

Yeah, I wouldn't base my expectations on one outside instance of a line falling apart.

I remember that lol..think we were on skype for that one?   I have to put a bunch of meat on the smoker but if you're around still at 10:30 let me know if you want to chat it up on skype.

I remember that lol..think we were on skype for that one?   I have to put a bunch of meat on the smoker but if you're around still at 10:30 let me know if you want to chat it up on skype.

throwing meat on the smoker at 9 pm?

I want your lifestyle

A lot of upper 60s/lower 70s dew points across Paducah's CWA, I'd say it isn't that much of a stretch to be honest.

Yeah, better than it being like in Louisiana at this time. Dews were overdone here today so I'm just a little skeptical with what looks like decent mixing tomorrow. Upper 60s looks easily attainable but that would still knock a little off of the CAPE progs all else being equal.

Archived