amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
May 19-22 Severe Weather Threat

Hoosier

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, dewpoints have mixed out.  That's the case everywhere in the region.  Are you looking forward to us dodging all the storms again?

yeah all the swamp ass is in MI for now.  I can't forecast severe weather to save my life so I have clue if things are sticking out as obvious as dog nuts that the fail factor level is pretty high at the arm pit of severe wx west of lake MI..   Maybe the storms at least develop closer by so they're not fizzling out faster than the Boowers?

mcd0725.gif

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 0725

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

1134 AM CDT MON MAY 20 2013

AREAS AFFECTED...LOWER MI

CONCERNING...SEVERE POTENTIAL...WATCH LIKELY

VALID 201634Z - 201730Z

PROBABILITY OF WATCH ISSUANCE...80 PERCENT

SUMMARY...COVERAGE OF TSTMS SHOULD INCREASE THROUGH THE EARLY

AFTERNOON ACROSS WRN LOWER MI...AND MAY EVENTUALLY CONSOLIDATE AND

SPREAD EWD OVER THE REMAINDER OF LOWER MI LATER THIS AFTERNOON. AN

INITIAL THREAT OF DMGG WIND GUSTS...LARGE HAIL...AND PERHAPS A

BRIEF/WEAK TORNADO WILL EXIST AS ACTIVITY REMAINS

SEMI-DISCRETE...BUT SHOULD EVOLVE INTO PRIMARILY A DMGG WIND THREAT

WITH TIME. A WW WILL LIKELY BE NEEDED WITHIN THE NEXT HOUR.

DISCUSSION...STRONG HEATING IS OCCURRING ACROSS LOWER MI WITHIN A

MOIST BOUNDARY LAYER...CHARACTERIZED BY SFC DEW POINTS IN THE UPPER

60S F...CONTRIBUTING TO ESTIMATED MLCAPE VALUES OF 1500-2500 J/KG. A

RIBBON OF MIDLEVEL MOISTURE PRECEDING A LARGE NRN PLAINS TROUGH WAS

NOTED ON WATER VAPOR MOVING EWD ACROSS LAKE MI. AS THIS INTERSECTS

WEAK LOW-LEVEL CONVERGENCE ALONG A DEVELOPING SFC TROUGH NEAR THE

ERN SHORE OF LAKE MI...TSTMS SHOULD RAPIDLY DEVELOP. MODERATELY

STRONG BUT UNIDIRECTIONAL VERTICAL WIND PROFILES ORIENTED NEARLY

PARALLEL TO INITIATING LINE SHOULD PROMOTE MULTIPLE CELL

INTERACTIONS INITIALLY...BEFORE CONSOLIDATION INTO CLUSTERS OR A

QLCS OCCURS. THIS SHOULD PROPAGATE EWD ACROSS LOWER MI...POSING A

PRIMARY THREAT OF DMGG WINDS...ALTHOUGH SOME HAIL THREAT WILL ALSO

EXIST GIVEN THE DEGREE OF INSTABILITY PRESENT.

..ROGERS/KERR.. 05/20/2013

ATTN...WFO...DTX...APX...IWX...GRR...

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/md/md0725.html

I think patience will be required for MKE/Chicago area. Really could take much of the day before anything gets in there. Visible satellite trends are good as the clouds continue to move away.

no doubt, storms won't be moving into the metro until 8-9 pm or so but we'll have all afternoon under full sun to prime the pump. 

I think patience will be required for MKE/Chicago area. Really could take much of the day before anything gets in there. Visible satellite trends are good as the clouds continue to move away.

I understand, most hi-res models are showing linear action in Illinois, but almost nothing in SE/SC Wisconsin, which would really be a waste of a warm and eventually humid day.

Wow, mesoanalysis showing some impressive SBCAPE building over Southern Ontario, 3000 J/kg. As seen from the satellite shot we have perfectly clear skies, allowing the instability to ramp up. Just about to hit 80F, dews at 65F. Models had us at below 2000 J/kg CAPE, so maybe we will see the line from MI overperform and stay alive through Ontario.

G9HIRou.gif

Probs expanded on the new outlook. 10% tornado into St Louis metro and 30% wind into the southern suburbs of Chicago.

30% wind probs nick us now too. Think the storms will "run out of gas" before reaching us overnight? Just curious to hear your thoughts.  

no doubt, storms won't be moving into the metro until 8-9 pm or so but we'll have all afternoon under full sun to prime the pump.

Dewpoints have really taken a beating as has been pointed out...have to go into southern IL to find anything in the mid 60s or higher...that is something to be a bit concerned about but we'll see how the recovery goes.

30% wind probs nick us now too. Think the storms will "run out of gas" before reaching us overnight? Just curious to hear your thoughts.

This seems like a middle of the road setup...I'm not really optimistic but not really pessimistic either. I think our odds would be enhanced if we get something in here by 10 or 11 PM. The severe threat isn't zero after that but it should start to decrease.

Dewpoints have really taken a beating as has been pointed out...have to go into southern IL to find anything in the mid 60s or higher...that is something to be a bit concerned about but we'll see how the recovery goes.

I think we have enough time to get back into respectable shape but if something goes up early to our south it could be trouble.

Clear and sunny here.  Not a cloud to be seen, really.  83 with a dew point of 55, and Humidity is only 38%.  Cap in place, at least per the Mesoanalysis page.  Per NWS, the cap is supposed to weaken and break later today.  Not feeling bullish at the moment.... I'll check back in an hour.....

No more lake breeze at this point for Racine or Milwaukee. Winds are cranking out of the S now. Everybody should have the same amount of heating this afternoon.

Dewpoints are really mixing out. Was in the upper 60s earlier this morning, now down to 56°.

This seems like a middle of the road setup...I'm not really optimistic but not really pessimistic either. I think our odds would be enhanced if we get something in here by 10 or 11 PM. The severe threat isn't zero after that but it should start to decrease.

Good enough then...the earlier the better. Thanks for the thoughts. 

Not feeling it today.  Unless things ramp back up.  It's actually pretty nice outside right now. Dew point has nudged up a bit to 56. Nice breeze from the SSW. 

Not totally pessimistic about our chances, but not really getting excited either.

RAP has dews in chicago dropping into the 40s before making a meager comeback. :yikes:

Not buying it...would likely have to mix above 850 mb for that to happen. That model has been known to have problems handling surface temps and I would guess the same is true for dewpoints. Could see things hanging in the 50s though.

Archived