joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April Obs/Banter

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Springtime rain NAM'd on the 12z.  2" QPF.

Orioles home opener looks a bit damp.  

850 0C line is about 150 miles away and surface 0C is in central Canada, but there's time to work out those details. Track is good.  Can I get an "all in"?  

Yoshino Cherry out front is still in winter mode, no buds are even swelling yet much less blooming.

The Tidal Basin trees are going to be later than predicted peak it would seem. I have some of the same type near me that are maybe a day or two from opening up a bit. The early ones have been in bloom for like 4 weeks now.

The Tidal Basin trees are going to be later than predicted peak it would seem. I have some of the same type near me that are maybe a day or two from opening up a bit. The early ones have been in bloom for like 4 weeks now.

I didn't know there were earlier ones than the Yoshino.  Do you know what they are called?

I didn't know there were earlier ones than the Yoshino.  Do you know what they are called?

not sure what the types are unfortunately. there are probably at least two types that bloom before the yoshino (think that's the main one on the tidal basin).  one blooms periodically in winter when it's warm at least partially.  here's one when it snowed:

post-1615-0-78464800-1364918864_thumb.jp

guessing it's one of these.. might try to look closer to see if i can tell

2011_species_11.jpgKanzakura Average blooming period in Tokyo: late February to mid March The Kanzakura is among the first cherry trees to bloom. It is encountered only in relatively small numbers in some city parks where they surprise and delight visitors with their early blooming schedule. 2011_kawazu.jpgKawazuzakura Average blooming period in Tokyo: mid March Named after Kawazu Town on the Izu Peninsula, where the tree variety was originally cultivated, the Kawazuzakura is among the earliest flowering cherry trees. Large numbers of them bloom during the cherry blossom festival in Kawazu which is held annually in late February and early March. The tree is less common in other parts of Japan. 2011_species_12.jpgKanhizakura Average blooming period in Tokyo: mid to late March

This tree with its dark pink, bell shaped flowers is native to Taiwan and Okinawa where it blooms as early as January and February. In the parks of Tokyo it is not usually in bloom until mid March, but still among the earliest blooming varieties.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2011_species.html

Prob 70+ Tue and mid 70s+ Wed. 80 bullseye on Wed around WinterWxLuvr at 18z. 

GFS looks substantially cooler, and with the high offshore and east winds over us, certainly a possibility of a marine layer being in play.  

Impossible.  GFS is never right.  Just ask DT. 

eh, we only lost like 20 degrees each day. :(

still looks like at least a brief warmup as the low closes in.. who knows. could go either way i guess. suppose the backdoor idea is perhaps a better one?

One thing we really do well is wind. Lots and lots of wind.

Regionally, we are about the least windy spot in the entire country.

1992 redux please...starting in March we ripped off 10 straight minus months (based on 81-2010 norms) with an average departure of -2.1

we just need a massive volcano to erupt

Co-sign.

Archived