• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
April Obs/Banter

WxUSAF

April is a tricky warmth month. Cool air is always lurking close by from several sources. Get good easterly fetch and 850's don't even matter anymore. Get a cloudy day and it cancels a torch. A modest but subtle push of lower heights out of canada and everything changes.

I kind of alluded to this in my post in the disco thread. Unless there's a solid trough out west or some sort of stable se ridge then it's really hard to get 4+ days of solid + departures this month.

I love 50's and low 60's. You'll never hear me complain.

yes..i think today is a good portend what happens without large scale features in our favor...and pretty much every factor is adverse right now...this isn't summer when we can hit low 90s under the most adverse conditions....I'll go ahead and take the under on MOS next week for all 5 days

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

April is a tricky warmth month. Cool air is always lurking close by from several sources. Get good easterly fetch and 850's don't even matter anymore. Get a cloudy day and it cancels a torch. A modest but subtle push of lower heights out of canada and everything changes.

I kind of alluded to this in my post in the disco thread. Unless there's a solid trough out west or some sort of stable se ridge then it's really hard to get 4+ days of solid + departures this month.

I love 50's and low 60's. You'll never hear me complain.

A western trough and SE ridge looks exactly like what's setting up for next week.

A western trough and SE ridge looks exactly like what's setting up for next week.

Euro says no to the se ridge part. It's all convoluted. Euro has a big nasty ULL up north between the maritimes and greeland towards the end of the run and a big strong surface HP in central canada and really cold pool of 850's se of hudson bay in the middle of next week. 

If I had to pick sides on which features are going to win between the gfs/euro, I'm thinking just like zwyts. We may have a warm day or 2 but it will be bookended by aob. April temp battleground is looking fierce next week. 

Euro says no to the se ridge part. It's all convoluted. Euro has a big nasty ULL up north between the maritimes and greeland towards the end of the run and a big strong surface HP in central canada and really cold pool of 850's se of hudson bay in the middle of next week. 

If I had to pick sides on which features are going to win between the gfs/euro, I'm thinking just like zwyts. We may have a warm day or 2 but it will be bookended by aob. April temp battleground is looking fierce next week. 

Just looked at the extended euro...its solution will indeed put the MA in the battleground.  Tough forecast week if that works out, temp wise.  Ukie is warm like the gfs, canadian leaning towards the EC, on the cooler side.  As usual, we'll see. 

Baro way up there Temps. went from 52 at 5:30 to 32 at 11:30.  Too bad precip couldn't get in tonight.  Even with a miracle cloud up at exactly the right time we will still get to 45F at the coolest for a high. Won't work but man it feels mid Jan cold out there right now.

I'll be darn about my snow musings. It's not snowing right in DC but two hours away it is.

I'll be darn about my snow musings. It's not snowing right in DC but two hours away it is.

Seems to me if the atmosphere will support snow down there, it would support it here as well.  Of course, most of those places are 2000+ feet elevation.  I suppose if one were to drive up into the mountains tonight, you'd probably see some snow, if any precip makes it up here.

Archived