• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
The Lion's end to March banter and discussion, part deux!

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tip fri-sun is going to be brilliant!  

Yeah, I'm looking forward to it -  it's rare this time of year to get stretches like that, and I can assure you ..that rarity is underscored by a blocky spring;  we'll be lucky! 

I feel that it gets nasty one last time though - and there may be an April blue bomb yet, though that's pure a guess based on having indices laboring to get out of the cellar.  

Either way, crocuses should be really doing their thing. 

By the way, there is yet no swelling of any buds on any tree species up this way.  Compared to the last 5 years, that's unusual.  In fact, last year by now the yellow flowering bushes were going nuts, and the ugly Bitter Sweet weedy vine was putting out leaves.   Not even close to the same ballpark of physical responses to the climate.  

Pistol in mouth guess ... I'd say when sky cover permits we balance days at or slightly below normal, with a couple of storm threats through about April 10...  The 10th through 15th transitions - we've turned the seasonal corner, no doubt, as today and a nice mid range weather stretch point that out, but that week in there I think it recovers more substantially.  Like perhaps nights more convincingly above freezing...

Ha, just checked it out, thanks

People seem skeptical / tired. Been a persistent signal, and -NAO may be in transition, but a week is a long time away...

That signal has actually been there for a while...it looks more robust today than the last coupel days, but its been on and off ensemble guidance for the last 4 or 5 days now. I would also say don't sleep on a final threat around 4/9-4/11 or so.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to it -  it's rare this time of year to get stretches like that, and I can assure you ..that rarity is underscored by a blocky spring;  we'll be lucky! 

I feel that it gets nasty one last time though - and there may be an April blue bomb yet, though that's pure a guess based on having indices laboring to get out of the cellar.  

Either way, crocuses should be really doing their thing. 

By the way, there is yet no swelling of any buds on any tree species up this way.  Compared to the last 5 years, that's unusual.  In fact, last year by now the yellow flowering bushes were going nuts, and the ugly Bitter Sweet weedy vine was putting out leaves.   Not even close to the same ballpark of physical responses to the climate.  

Yes to all the above.......its hysterical what the last couple March's have done to people's perception of what March is normally like in New England, going into this winter it was looked upon as a summer month, great to see it act like March for a change, this year is a classic sne spring step up into heaven.

Enjoy!

A+ for snowfall, C+ for snowpack build-up with lots of rain and warm temps following snowfalls. 2010-2011 was much better for building up a deep snowpack.

Spot on. 

I was actually going to start a "rate this winter" thread after April 1st, but this is a good place.

I probably looked like a whinning :weenie: all season long, bitc*ing about the snow / rain / snow / rain set up we kept having, but it sucked.  The blizzard was awesome but the warmth and rain that followed really sucked.  So, I am not complaining about the amount of snow by any means, as it was way above normal.  It was the amount of time that the snow hung around that sucked.   

Spot on. 

I was actually going to start a "rate this winter" thread after April 1st, but this is a good place.

I probably looked like a whinning :weenie: all season long, bitc*ing about the snow / rain / snow / rain set up we kept having, but it sucked.  The blizzard was awesome but the warmth and rain that followed really sucked.  So, I am not complaining about the amount of snow by any means, as it was way above normal.  It was the amount of time that the snow hung around that sucked.   

Stop being a whining :weenie:

;)

This season is getting a C+...snowfall is a little below average, but I haven't seen my grass since December 15th so that at least counts for something.  And we've had a couple great periods of winter with most of the snowfall coming from Dec 15 to Jan 6 and then again over the last two weeks.  Middle of the winter was just dry and boring up here... but I'm above 100" at the house on the season, though will likely fall short of the 120-130" average.

1-3" refresher?

attachicon.gifStormTotalSnowFcst.png

Maybe I'm asking too much but I'd really like to see another 9.7" and every inch will help.  9.7" would bring me over 100" for the second time since I started keeping records.  I still feel that winter is not done.  Even in bad years such as 2002 we've had snow after a late April heat wave so I never give up.

Archived