12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
The lions end to March banter and discussion

Ginx snewx

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have your wife tell his wife about it lol. I remember folks questioning his 2011 snow totals . It's funny he talks about it there. Is he at 800 feet there?

Looks like it based on Google maps.  Here's his house:

https://maps.google.com/?ll=41.998462,-72.26054&spn=0.000565,0.000862&t=h&z=20

The white dot in his backyard is the temperature sensor and the shadow to the right of the driveway is the 8" rain gauge.  If you zoom out, you can see how close he is to the lake and why I suspect that on strong Nor'easters that he gets additional accums from drifting off the lake.

That DEEP site has a lot of suspect "totals" and "records." I should have put a little more though into spewing that.

Here's a rough, approximate map of estimated snowfall totals since autumn. Most of the numbers are from here, a few are sprinkled in from other sources. I whipped it together really quick, so it's certainly up for debate and scrutiny. I wonder if there are higher values in NW CT, but when I checked some COOP stations from Dutchess County, N.Y., they were close to 50".

attachicon.gifsnowfallToDate.png

awesome map! pretty accurate I'm right in the middle of the blob in SWCT of 75"+.. I'm at 95" year to date.

From Boston.com:

By Lauren Dezenski, Globe Correspondent

With the latest snowfall, Worcester is now the snowiest city this winter in the United States, the National Weather Service says.

The town now stands atop the snowpile at 108.9 inches after receiving 4.2 inches Tuesday.

Syracuse, N.Y., came in second, with 96.5 inches received this year. Rounding out the top 5 were: Erie, Pa., with 92.2 inches; Rochester, N.Y., 72.7 inches; and Salt Lake City, Utah, 67.1 inches, according to Patrick DeCoursey, who maintains the snowfall tracking site goldensnowglobe.com. The statistic applies to cities with more than 100,000 people.

Higher snowfall amounts — sometimes much higher — can be recorded in places that aren’t as populous. Mount Baker in Washington state has recorded 174 inches so far this year, while on Washington’s Mount Rainier 162 inches have fallen, the National Weather Service office in Seattle said.

Though the bulk of this season’s snow arrived in Massachusetts quickly in a series of storms over the past six weeks, that doesn’t mean the season will end anytime soon.

“Bottom line, it can certainly snow into May,” said meteorologist Bill Simpson.

On May 9, 1977, Worcester received 11.4 inches of snow.

“The storm pattern is still active,” Simpson said, “So winter isn’t over yet.”

That DEEP site has a lot of suspect "totals" and "records." I should have put a little more though into spewing that.

Here's a rough, approximate map of estimated snowfall totals since autumn. Most of the numbers are from here, a few are sprinkled in from other sources. I whipped it together really quick, so it's certainly up for debate and scrutiny. I wonder if there are higher values in NW CT, but when I checked some COOP stations from Dutchess County, N.Y., they were close to 50".

attachicon.gifsnowfallToDate.png

Right on Quincy. I'm in south-central Hamden and I'm at 77" for the year.

From Boston.com:

By Lauren Dezenski, Globe Correspondent

Higher snowfall amounts — sometimes much higher — can be recorded in places that aren’t as populous. Mount Baker in Washington state has recorded 174 inches so far this year, while on Washington’s Mount Rainier 162 inches have fallen, the National Weather Service office in Seattle said.

That's an astonishly low total for Rainier, assuming it's the usual spot at Paradise Lodge. Records I got from the UCC site back thru 1920 (with about 10 yr missing or partly missing) show the lowest toal at Paradise thru the end of Feb - would take too long to parse out the 1st half of March - is 166" in 1922-23, and the only other one below 200" is 1933-34. Their avg thru Feb is 424".

Archived