• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Death of Winter: How would you grade the Season?

nzucker

This is the point of the year when I start to become reflective, and accepting, of the passing of seasons. In just a few short weeks, snow threats will be vanishing as we start to embrace the coming of spring and new life. It's a sad time for me, recognizing that the last snow from the Blizzard of 2013 has just about melted, finding those last piles around town. But it's also a time of renewal, of the sun sprouting new life and embracing the fecundity of the earth. 

On that note, how would you grade winter 2013?

Dobbs Ferry: C-....above average temperatures except November, poor Dec/Jan for snowfall, one 17" monster storm...subject to change if March finally delivers

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

B-

29.7" of snow is good and above average. If I was more east I would gave it a B. Besides the blizzard, there was only a few light snow events. I would have never expected winter to make a turn around in February. The cold snap we had in January was the coldest since 2011. There was snow on the ground for the entire cold spell so that cold air wasn't a waste for me. There were plenty of days with snow cover which was nice. The Great South Bay froze over almost completely, it hasn't been that frozen over since 2005.

Guest Pamela

This is the point of the year when I start to become reflective, and accepting, of the passing of seasons. In just a few short weeks, snow threats will be vanishing as we start to embrace the coming of spring and new life. It's a sad time for me, recognizing that the last snow from the Blizzard of 2013 has just about melted, finding those last piles around town. But it's also a time of renewal, of the sun sprouting new life and embracing the fecundity of the earth. 

On that note, how would you grade winter 2013?

Dobbs Ferry: C-....above average temperatures except November, poor Dec/Jan for snowfall, one 17" monster storm...subject to change if March finally delivers

Props...your word made the list:

http://www.pompousasswords.com/www/index.htm

B... Not bad. 6 inches in the November storm which was historic and the earliest big snow here ever (we had a coating in the October 11 storm) A couple of nickel and dime events in which one we got super banded and scored 3.5 inches in less then an hour. (5 miles north nothing) And then the Feb blizzard was a classic with about 14 inches after a torturous period of heavy sleet. So overall so far 26 inches which is right around normal. I give the B for the historic nature of the November storm and the fun of the feb blizzard.

And its not over! This thread could be a jinx!

November was an A anytime u get 10 inches in colts neck in Nov u get an A Dec and Jan both F s. Anytime u get zero its an F. Feb was a B. 2 below and 10 inches in 6 hrs from the blizzard and 3 small events inside 10 days.

March wil b an F if we get blanked.

November was an A anytime u get 10 inches in colts neck in Nov u get an A Dec and Jan both F s. Anytime u get zero its an F. Feb was a B. 2 below and 10 inches in 6 hrs from the blizzard and 3 small events inside 10 days.

March wil b an F if we get blanked.

Agreed. November was better than many a winter month we've seen.

12" of snow and the same mean temp as Dec this year. -4.5 departure IMBY.

F for Dec and Jan, B for Feb.

Yeah nov was nice with 7 in. of snow here and temps way below normal...Dec sucked with warmth and little snow... Jan was bad with only a nice cold spell after the 20th to improve it somewhat...Feb was nice with over 12 in. of snow and temps a bit below normal. Shame that since the feb snowstorm I have not recived any measurable snow despite what looked to be a favorable pattern. Dont think what happens this month will change my grade overall so I'll give it a C.

I would give it a C or C- as of now. February saved it from being an F. Other than the 2/8 storm (people who call it Nemo should have metal rods stuck underneath their fingernails) this winter was a bore and the progressive pattern screwed us over once again. The cold was fairly impressive for a time and with the minor clippers made it seem quite wintry. This upcoming storm for the 7th could change things, but I'm not optimistic coastal areas get much snow from a storm working with marginal and stale air. I'm thinking snow-wise it's pretty much done if you're in the city and east.

By NYC standards I'd give this one a B- (last winter was an A/A+). The extreme cold from Jan 21st to 28th dragged the score down for me, if that hadn't occurred I probably would have given this winter a B or B+. If we receive any additional snowfall, this B- grade will drop to a C+, JFK's (controversial) 13.4" is enough for me, my appetite for snow has been satisfied.

I would've liked some hints of spring, in the form of 60's of 70's, but oh well, at least it's March now.

By NYC standards I'd give this one a B- (last winter was an A/A+). The extreme cold from Jan 21st to 28th dragged the score down for me, if that hadn't occurred I probably would have given this winter a B or B+. If we receive any additional snowfall, this B- grade will drop to a C+, JFK's (controversial) 13.4" is enough for me, my appetite for snow has been satisfied.

I would've liked some hints of spring, in the form of 60's of 70's, but oh well, at least it's March now.

Last year was an A ? Where cordova alaska

Didn't luck out in November storm, as I had only two melting inches of slop (I think areas to the north,south,west, and east got more).  Since then, I can only count two events.  I am not even going to bother giving credit to the coatings that we got during our numerous 35 and rain specials and the dying clippers.  The first event was the storm that gave us the really sparkly dry snow (1.5 inches) and of course, the second was Nemo (which gave my area 10-12).  I'm not a fan of the cold, so that won't factor into my grade.  Without Nemo, this winter would have received a D- (would have been an F if it weren't for the nice, sparkly snow from the first event).  Factoring Nemo in, I would give it a C-.  Of course, this can change if something happens with the upcoming 3/6 storm, though I am doubtful of it given recent model trends.  I'll give it a C if we get 3 inches and C+ if we get 6.  Anything more and there may be a significant grade boost.  

Snowfall: C. Currently just over 48". Avg. 55"

On a side note, its snowing lightly as as I type this, and has been basically all day.

Sustained snowcover: B+

Had constant snowcover, except for 2 days, since Christmas Eve., until 4 days ago. Still have patchy snow cover.

Sustained cold: C-

Only had about 3 weeks of ice fishing on the lake, up to last weekend. Could probably still go out on the ice, but it would be risky. Begter safe than sorry.

Over all: Solid C

Still have March to get through, so snowfall grade has time for improvement.

I remember April 1st. 1997, 35", so theres time here to bump that up to an A

Guest Pamela

C.  Hard to believe a year with a 28" storm doesnt score better, but that was the only plowable event out here (we didnt get in on the november fun), and watching the 2/8 snow be abused by rain and torches over the past three plus weeks has not been fun. 

Although we had 14 separate snow "events" here (and I use the term loosly)...only the February blizzard and the November storm exceeded 2 inches of snow.  Any grade will be witheld pending how the balance plays out. 

Last year was an A ? Where cordova alaska

Huh? Last winter was mild, therefore it's an A in my book. I detest cold temperatures and excessive snowfall.

His windows get blown out during every thunderstorm, i wouldn't believe anything he says

I'm lost. I think you have me confused with someone else.

C.  Hard to believe a year with a 28" storm doesnt score better, but that was the only plowable event out here (we didnt get in on the november fun), and watching the 2/8 snow be abused by rain and torches over the past three plus weeks has not been fun. 

I think the 2/8 event lasted about as long as you can expect, given that in late February snowpack retention declines naturally. We didn't really get torched as KNYC finished -1.5F for the month of February; it was just that we lacked any more snow events to reinforce the pack, despite a favorable pattern, and average highs are in the 40s with a stronger sun angle by month's end. I had snow cover until the rain on Tuesday wiped it out. That was 2/26 so a run of 18 days..

November had the largest snowfall here with 13" of tree snapping paste. Our high temps remained in the low to mid forties which enabled that snow fall to last five days after the event. That's pretty darn impressive for November, let alone early November, one week after Sandy. My power had returned just 36 hours before the first flakes fell. I'll never forget that storm.

As for the remainder of this cold season, a quick 1/2 inch on Xmass eve was special and we had a nice little stretch of clippers and dusters during the last week of January and early Febuary. These were accompanied by the coldest air mass we've seen in years, thus what little fell, refreshed and remained on the ground for over a week. The New England Blizzard was just that... A New England Blizzard and was a bit of a disappointment here as every model except the GFS depicted a MEC's level event here. It fell a few inches short but overall was nice to see an accumulating event with decent cold. Without going into too much detail over the bad, a torched December and January followed by the current pattern's two weeks of broken promises, this winter was by and far average as we see the bad with the good every cold season. Even January of 2010 blew chunks yet it was the second largest snowfall year, at least IMBY.

Grade: C+. (C+ grade is tentative pending any decent measurable outcome this March or April).

... the 2/8 storm (people who call it Nemo should have metal rods stuck underneath their fingernails) ...

... and of course, the second was Nemo (which gave my area 10-12).

... I'm not a fan of the cold

...Without Nemo...

Metal rods would have been good enough if it wasn't for that not liking the cold comment.

I'd add waterboarding and being forced to listen to this:

Archived