• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Death of Winter: How would you grade the Season?

nzucker

By NYC standards I'd give this one a B- (last winter was an A/A+). The extreme cold from Jan 21st to 28th dragged the score down for me, if that hadn't occurred I probably would have given this winter a B or B+. If we receive any additional snowfall, this B- grade will drop to a C+, JFK's (controversial) 13.4" is enough for me, my appetite for snow has been satisfied.

I would've liked some hints of spring, in the form of 60's of 70's, but oh well, at least it's March now.

It's been downgraded to a C, it's overstayed its welcome.

Still no hints of spring, despite it being late March.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good post, I'm fine with living in the transitional zone. Some winters with long duration snow packs, other winters with not much. Snowpack is nice but it's not as important as snowfall totals to me. Even some of our great winters, like 2002-03, didn't have snowpack for more than 3-4 weeks I don't think.

For me it's all about long duration snowpack. This transition zone kinda sux but my (almost) hilltop location @~700 really helps. Don't get me wrong though, a good storm gets me going like very few other things.

All in all so far this winter is a B.

It was ridiculous of me to get depressed about winter ending when I started this thread on March 2nd...we just picked up another 5" to bring March up to 15" and the season up to 52". It looks like mid-winter out there tonight with a chilly breeze, full moon shining on a crisp snowpack that's rapidly icing over. Very impressive how long winter is holding on: we have 3-4" of snow cover everywhere, no buds on any trees, and no green grass. I've seen a few isolated crocus but they don't look too happy after the low of 20F Monday morning and 5" of snow last night. 

There's no sign of this pattern ending, either. NWS has mid 20s here Wednesday and Thursday night, and the threat for a weekend storm is real with the retrograding NAO block. 

Grade is up to a B. I never thought I'd say this, but if we get a MECS/HECS over the weekend, I could actually see bumping to an A-. A HECS would bring my seasonal snowfall up to 70", which would place this winter among the greats like 10-11, 02-03, 95-96, 77-78, 66-67, 60-61...just a crazy turnaround given how crappy this winter had been until mid January.  

Archived