• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Death of Winter: How would you grade the Season?

nzucker

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

winter isn't over yet and I wouldn't be surprised if we had 2-3 more wintry type storms adding maybe another couple to several inches. As of now this is up to a C+/B- with potential for a B if we end strong with more snow and cold.

Pros

-early Nov storm

-No long lasting warmth after Mid Jan

-pretty wintry february

-2 4+ storms and a 1 footer

Cons

-First half of winter was just as bad as 11/12 minus Nov storm

-Missing all those dec storms

-Mostly progressive pattern leading to warm/wet and cold dry conditions

Solid C

Temps sucked, no snow in Dec/Jan, but after today finished with exactly average snowfall of 30" with 3 stroms of 6" or more (6", 6.1", and 12") with a couple nickel and dimers in there as well.

Not too shabby especially considering how warm the winter was...

I had close to 5" from the late Dec. storms which is normal or a tad above. I'm sure your area did as well no?

Solid C

Temps sucked, no snow in Dec/Jan, but after today finished with exactly average snowfall of 30" with 3 stroms of 6" or more (6", 6.1", and 12") with a couple nickel and dimers in there as well.

Not too shabby especially considering how warm the winter was...

I don't think temperatures sucked if you include November and probably March. November was -3.8F and March will probably finish at least -2F. February finished -1.4F as well with nearly 20" of snow. We also had a very cold stretch of weather in late January with a full week that didn't go above freezing.

November had the largest snowfall here with 13" of tree snapping paste. Our high temps remained in the low to mid forties which enabled that snow fall to last five days after the event. That's pretty darn impressive for November, let alone early November, one week after Sandy. My power had returned just 36 hours before the first flakes fell. I'll never forget that storm.

As for the remainder of this cold season, a quick 1/2 inch on Xmass eve was special and we had a nice little stretch of clippers and dusters during the last week of January and early Febuary. These were accompanied by the coldest air mass we've seen in years, thus what little fell, refreshed and remained on the ground for over a week. The New England Blizzard was just that... A New England Blizzard and was a bit of a disappointment here as every model except the GFS depicted a MEC's level event here. It fell a few inches short but overall was nice to see an accumulating event with decent cold. Without going into too much detail over the bad, a torched December and January followed by the current pattern's two weeks of broken promises, this winter was by and far average as we see the bad with the good every cold season. Even January of 2010 blew chunks yet it was the second largest snowfall year, at least IMBY.

Grade: C+. (C+ grade is tentative pending any decent measurable outcome this March or April).

35.8" snow now puts me officially above average with accumulating snow in each of the last five months. That doesn't happen all that often. Grade has risen to a solid B or 3.0.

35.8" snow now puts me officially above average with accumulating snow in each of the last five months. That doesn't happen all that often. Grade has risen to a solid B or 3.0.

I'm up to 33.6" here after 5.5" yesterday. Several inches above average now.

Not bad for a +5 Dec, +4.7 Jan, and +0.3 Feb IMBY. November was -5.1, and March is -4.9 thus far, so taking those into account, the Nov 1st-March 9th period is dead on normal (+0.1) so far.

March will probably finish solidly below normal, so I'd think the Nov-March period ends up 0 to +1 or so for me.

DJF was a torch, +3.4 here.

What made the winter somewhat disappointing in this area is only 1 storm produced any snow that actually stuck around. The November storm melted in 2 days, yesterdays snow is virtually gone. All the nickel and dime events around Christmas were washed away.

EWR had an inch or greater on the ground only 12 days yet hit their seasonal average of 27". In 2008-09 they had around the same amount of snow but had 26 days with an inch or more on the ground.

B- as of now...

I agree, it was a C but now it's up to a B- with the 9" that fell in Westchester yesterday and the cold start to March. Even though it won't last long, it was a scenic snowfall with a few very heavy bands. I went for a great run last evening as the sun set, just gorgeous. 

One more late-season snowfall or cold spell could bring the grade up to a B.

I spoke too soon about winter's death. Had a coating of snow the night after I wrote that, and then almost a foot of snow just a few short days later. Winter struck back. Impressive. Still a solid covering of snow here in Southern Westchester. 

Was a D+ but yesterday's storm brought it up to a C-.  If we get more storms in March then that may go up to a C or C+.  Temps in DJF were pretty poor overall (cumulative departure of +3.5), but we did have one good cold outbreak that week in January, and November was well below average (-3.0).  Including the entire season of November through March so far we're only +1.8, and since the rest of March looks cold we may be able to bring that down to +1.0 or less.  Total snowfall at Rutgers of 23" is still a little below average but maybe we will get to average or even a little above with storms later this month.  One big downside this winter as others have mentioned is how little long-lasting snowcover we have had.

Snowfall now slightly above normal but I can't give this winter more than a C+ even if we get another event, due to the overall very warm temps and lack of sustained snowpack.

My main three events were 12" in November, 10" in Feb, and 5.5" yesterday. Not bad on the snows.

I'm at 24 inches here in Piscataway, which is about average. Average is usually a C or C+. But as others have said, very little lasting snowcover. The November snow didn't last long, of course. Yesterday's snow is already completely gone. Only the big February storm gave snowcover that lasted several days. So even though we've had an average amount of snow, I downgrade this winter to a D+ because we've had so few days with snowcover. Another good March storm, and I'll bump it up to a C. At least this winter was much better than last winter. And before last winter we had two very good winters, so I can't complain too much.

we have three significant snowfalls this year...anything 3" or more is a significant snowfall...Since 1959-60 the most significant snowfalls came in 1993-94 and 1995-96...Both had eight 2.7" or more...

1995-96...8

1993-94...8

1966-67...6

2002-03...6

1977-78...5

2000-01...5

2003-04...5

2010-11...5

1960-61...4

1963-64...4

1964-65...4

1968-69...4