• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
March 5-6 Storm Discussion

Poimen

Well at least the clown maps are still good looking for my area. I'd take 9 inches any day!

at this point I'll take 1 inch and it will be more than I've seen in 3 years and to date our average of 7.5 is way off.  .2 is all we've had this year.  come on and dig further south.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yea, screw it! By the latest trends it looks like its pretty much over for us in the mid-south piedmont. Oh well next winter...

I'd put money on the 18z gfs verifying 4 days out against anyone willing to take the gfs. Way to soon to throw in the towel especially with the euro ensembles on your side.

Side note, Ryan Kelly is starting tonight, so anything is possible.

18Z has the lowest verification scores, according to the chart that DT showed in his video yesterday.  So, it may be just as good from a data ingest standpoint or whatever, but if that chart was correct, then it's the least likely to verify.

There's a bit of good news....I will not give up until we have model agreement that this one is going north. I would rather this one trend south of me than to go north and dump on the MA.

I think everyone from NC south would like to see this trend south. I have no idea whether that is likely to happen or not (my gut says no, but whatever) but can someone give any thoughts as to what we should look for that would be a catalyst for a south trend to occur? Stronger blocking? Better 50/50? Stronger system? Weaker system? Energy in the southern stream weaker, slower, not there? Sharper ridge out west? What?

I think everyone from NC south would like to see this trend south. I have no idea whether that is likely to happen or not (my gut says no, but whatever) but can someone give any thoughts as to what we should look for that would be a catalyst for a south trend to occur? Stronger blocking? Better 50/50? Stronger system? Weaker system? Energy in the southern stream weaker, slower, not there? Sharper ridge out west? What?

You can start with stronger blocking (confluence to the north) squashing that LP to where physics does not allow the system to possibly go north and has nowhere to go but south. If 0z shows strong blocking like it has recently until the 18z run of the GFS you know that LP can only go so far north before it starts to defy physics.

Also I am not sure which set of model guidance is superior over one another in regards to depicting confluence/blocking but as WeatherNC noted after the NAM completed its cycle he stated how the h5 setup promoted and showed the blocking stronger than its 12z counterpart so again a lot of variables to consider. I just hope we dont all get our dreams shattered here when tomorrow evening were looking at DC getting 12-18 and we may all end up with 1-3.

ALLEGHANY NC-SURRY-WILKES-GILES-WYTHE-PULASKI-MONTGOMERY-CARROLL-

FLOYD-CRAIG-ALLEGHANY VA-BATH-ROANOKE-BOTETOURT-ROCKBRIDGE-MONROE-

553 PM EST SAT MAR 2 2013

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR NORTH CENTRAL NORTH

CAROLINA...NORTHWEST NORTH CAROLINA...SOUTHWEST VIRGINIA...WEST

CENTRAL VIRGINIA AND SOUTHEAST WEST VIRGINIA.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...SUNDAY THROUGH FRIDAY.

A WINTER STORM MAY IMPACT THE AREA TUESDAY AND

WEDNESDAY...BRINGING FREEZING RAIN...SLEET AND HEAVY WET SNOW.

Saw this from NC Piedmont Weather on facebook. It's not a foot, but all I have said from the start is I wanted at least a half foot of snow. I would be very happy with this.

857485_547335698632503_1864054738_o.png

I hope he is right, but I bet he is the only one saying anything close to this.

Saw this from NC Piedmont Weather on facebook. It's not a foot, but all I have said from the start is I wanted at least a half foot of snow. I would be very happy with this.

857485_547335698632503_1864054738_o.png

to all south carolina and georgia folks, even if we don't see any snow its all good because we are used to getting the short end of the stick anyway so doesn't really matter

Northern Virginia looks like the sweet spot on the GFS ensemble mean. 1.69" precip max on an ensemble mean! There must be some bombs on the individual members. The precip field didn't seem to shift north so much than just concentrate on the middle of the spread. Both the southern and northern edge of the precip was trimmed back.

Just go back and look at the 18z runs of the GFS for every potential storm we have had this winter...the vast majority have been weenie runs that didnt come close to verifying even at the 3-4 day range. This will be that weenie run for DC folks that will not verify, it will shift south, mark my word.

Just go back and look at the 18z runs of the GFS for every potential storm we have had this winter...the vast majority have been weenie runs that didnt come close to verifying even at the 3-4 day range. This will be that weenie run for DC folks that will not verify, it will shift south, mark my word.

this thing has to trend south, I've heard the same thing that the 18z is about the least reliable.  this morning this storm was trending south a little so now that its ticking north is this the gospel, I don't think so.  still a lot of time to come south and get that heavy snow into all of nc

this thing has to trend south, I've heard the same thing that the 18z is about the least reliable. this morning this storm was trending south a little so now that its ticking north is this the gospel, I don't think so. still a lot of time to come south and get that heavy snow into all of nc

Let's see what the 0z Euro does. If it follows the gfs or not

I hope it comes back south some, I would love to see everybody get in on the action... That said I wouldn't bet on much if any southward trend... I trust the Euro much more than GFS, but that don't mean Euro is right GFS is wrong. But I would give Euro more weight on this, I read somewhere that it usually does best on big east coast storms? What we don't want to see is the Euro tick north at 0z that to me would be a BAD sign for NC folks!!! 

Archived