• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 5-6 Storm Discussion

Poimen

Still has the weak secondary over WV, but it's really weak. 1000 mb low about 100 miles west of CLT, just on the NC/SC line.

Does it still have that double barrel look with a weak secondary dieing over WV, or are we talking more of a dominant coming out of GA/SC to near ILM?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

franklin what would be the best track to keep us here in wnc in mostly snow. even if it starts as rain what would be the best track to quickly turn it over to snow for wnc for the duration of the storm? I'd like to see at least 4 inches out of this.

it would really have to move south to get all snow. The only snow comes on the backside of the upper low. We want to be on the nw sidenof the upper low. Right now the models take it right over us so we don't see much moisture. Maybe it can become vertically stacked and most of the qpf will stay confined to directly under the upper low. See march of 09 for a vertically stacked upper low. What we need is the upper low to dig a little farther south and we can get on the heavy backside snow. Right now we get light snow and flurries.

it would really have to move south to get all snow. The only snow comes on the backside of the upper low. We want to be on the nw sidenof the upper low. Right now the models take it right over us so we don't see much moisture. Maybe it can become vertically stacked and most of the qpf will stay confined to directly under the upper low. See march of 09 for a vertically stacked upper low. What we need is the upper low to dig a little farther south and we can get on the heavy backside snow. Right now we get light snow and flurries.

thanks franklin, seems like the trends so far today have been south so if this continues, maybe we'll be in luck.

yeah, NC looks to get dry slotted at H7...but the good news is we still have another 24-48 hours to settle on an eventual track of all the relevant pieces (if not longer).

fellows isn't it true that you don't want to be in that sweet spot right now, a lot can happen, we're to far out still.

I hate to say this, but I agree with JB and DT on this one.  JB says storms usually correct north and this is a VA  storm.  DT says the same, a VA storm, he said RDU is just rain.  Such a shame if they are right, to miss out on such a great opportunity.

WxSouth:

http://www.facebook.com/WxSouth

New European runs holds strong. The block in eastern Canada keeps New York and most of NJ safe from the storm, but helps to consolidate this powerhouse upper low travelling through NC during Wednesday. The surface low goes to 996 in Raleigh, placing northern NC and all of Virginia in heavy snow. It begins in southern VA, sw sections overnight Tuesday and spreads across the State, the southeast section is last to switch over, but it will. Same for most of eastern NC, esp. ne NC. Huge amounts of snow are shown along the NC/VA border northwest NC and especially Lynchburg, Roanoke Farmville Richmond to the coast, and very significant for areas in NC north of I-40, and not much further north than DC, Maryland.

I'll have a video soon highlighting amounts and more detail at www.wxsouth.com for premium subscribers.

I hate to say this, but I agree with JB and DT on this one.  JB says storms usually correct north and this is a VA  storm.  DT says the same, a VA storm, he said RDU is just rain.  Such a shame if they are right, to miss out on such a great opportunity.

The real hope we RDUers have is the sampling tomorrow reveals a missed/wrong assumption and the models correct to the south. Unlikely

For folks in the Piedmont, it does look to hit you very good...

INT - 0.84" of snow, maybe a little less

GSO - 0.90" of snow, maybe a little less as 850's are crashing so you probably lose a little of this.

So does RDU get mostly all rain with some backside changeover and then game over?

Archived