joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 5-6 Storm Discussion

Poimen

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The differences between the GFS and the Euro at just 84 hours is amazing, the ULL must be 300 miles south on GFS.  Granted they both eventually get to the same spot by day 4/5 which is good.

00zgfs500mbvort084.gif

Pack biggest difference to me besides the distance you mentioned is the western ridge which looks to be impacted by the next storm to come ashore. The Euro has what appears to be a larger piece of energy than the GFS and it is pushing the ridge not really any futher east, but higher I guess which forces our storm to travel furture. Very new to this, does that make sense?

A hair slower than 0z, ridge in NE Canada is stronger, two contours, with the 546 isohypse a nice guitar pic shape, extending down to the mouth of the Hudson Bay in Quebec...  Should be a good run, maybe a little further south to account for the stronger block.

Looks like it's going to come a hair north to me compared to 6z...but @87 it's just enough north to probably make an impact. 

Just need a little shift south for NC to be the big winner and I think that will happen. I think you and I up into southern VA will be in a great spot. US1 to 85 up to VA.

Going to be a close call, for sure. If I lived right on the border, or just over the VA border, I would feel pretty good at the moment.

I agree, I think when all is said and done, it will be a VA storm.

Yep, I think the sweet spot is going to be between Richmond and NC/SC stateline, we are going to have to hope for some scraps, which in March probably won't work, we need to be under the deform band to get accumulating snow.  Still time, it really needs to shift maybe 50 miles south, of course 50 miles north it clobbers the NoVA.

Just need a little shift south for NC to be the big winner and I think that will happen. I think you and I up into southern VA will be in a great spot. US1 to 85 up to VA.

it sounds like some of the models are starting to pick up on a shift south, guess time will tell,  we need this thing to dig a little more just to the west of the apps before it comes east, hopefully across central sc.

I don't think you want to be in the sweet spot right now, not close enough to the event, from past experience.  maybe if your in the sweet spot sunday night or monday morning its probably game on.

Yep, I think the sweet spot is going to be between Richmond and NC/SC stateline, we are going to have to hope for some scraps, which in March probably won't work, we need to be under the deform band to get accumulating snow.  Still time, it really needs to shift maybe 50 miles south, of course 50 miles north it clobbers the NoVA.

It's not going further north. If anything, it will shift further south. I really think northern Wake up 85 into VA will be in a good spot.

Archived