northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
March 5-6 Storm Discussion

Poimen

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From what I hear most of western Virginia and C VA does pretty good again. I'm looking at probably something between the GFS and Euro verifying.

ROA is still almost 2" QPF, you need to start rooting for the Euro hard, it helps us SE folks out too!

From what I hear most of western Virginia and C VA does pretty good again. I'm looking at probably something between the GFS and Euro verifying.

Yea your right brother someone in the MA crew put out a qpf output off the EURO OP and its showing ROA, CHO and Fredericksburg as the big winners still at 1.75". I just dont know. At least the GGEM, UKMET, CANADIAN and EURO get us good still. Like your saying im hoping for some sort of compromise anything 6 and over im happy for sure.

GSO and INT are both still good with this run, looks roughly 0.4-0.5" of precip that could be snow. RDU is roughly in the same range too.

Less than before, but I'll take it.  I will continue to hug the Euro and the UK Met until they dump me.  RDU actually sounds a lot better this run.

Sounds like the shift was quite small in the end, so I really don't know if we can make much of it.  Even the most consistent models are going to fluctuate slightly as we head towards the end.

As always, it will be interesting to see the ensemble mean.

Less than before, but I'll take it.  I will continue to hug the Euro and the UK Met until they dump me.  RDU actually sounds a lot better this run.

Sounds like the shift was quite small in the end, so I really don't know if we can make much of it.  Even the most consistent models are going to fluctuate slightly as we head towards the end.

The 12Z Doc clown vs. 0Z Doc: less snow for Asheville, HKY, and Charlotte (they all get <1"), and more for Triad and Triangle.

GSO gets ~4"; Brickster ~3". Very tight gradient north and south of these areas

ROA is still almost 2" QPF, you need to start rooting for the Euro hard, it helps us SE folks out too!

I've never hugged the Euro so hard in my (weenie) life! ..I see MA is sweating it even more now.. Someone is going to be utterly disappointed after everything is said and done. Still rooting for us southerners, though!

I've never hugged the Euro so hard in my (weenie) life! ..I see MA is sweating it even more now.. Someone is going to be utterly disappointed after everything is said and done. Still rooting for us southerners, though!

It is nuts, because a 50 mile shift is huge.  Still 72 hours out which is crazy.  I will say this, its the US versus the rest of the world with respect to these model runs.  Since I live in the US I guess I have to root for the GFS  :unsure:

Less than before, but I'll take it. I will continue to hug the Euro and the UK Met until they dump me. RDU actually sounds a lot better this run.

Sounds like the shift was quite small in the end, so I really don't know if we can make much of it. Even the most consistent models are going to fluctuate slightly as we head towards the end.

As always, it will be interesting to see the ensemble mean.

Exactly, until the one who brung us to the dance(euro/ ukmet) dumps us we have to hang in there. It will after midnight before the euro runs again.. I have to give credit due its been very consistent. I'll be heading to the feed and seed shop the moment it throws me to the curve and just get ready for spring.

and to think, this once included atlanta and points east of there,  was hoping and still do after trending north it would trend back south at least some .  thought the blocking up north was stronger than what it is or the models don't have it right yet.

Edit.  I do know there is still time but we're running out, starting to get close but still realize we're 2-3 days out.  this is the only thing in nc favor.

SURRY-STOKES-WILKES-YADKIN-HENRY-541 AM EST SUN MAR 3 2013LIGHT TO MODERATE SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS ARE POSSIBLE VERY LATETUESDAY NIGHT AND THROUGH WEDNESDAY.

ASHE-ALLEGHANY NC-WATAUGA-541 AM EST SUN MAR 3 2013MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW ACCUMULATIONS MAY OCCUR TUESDAY NIGHT ANDINTO WEDNESDAY. A WINTER STORM WATCH MAY BE NECESSARY. THECOMBINATION OF HEAVY WET SNOW AND GUSTY WINDS MAY TOPPLE TREES ANDLEAD TO POWER OUTAGES WEDNESDAY.

Well, still some uncertainty but its becoming clearer that this wont be a producer for AL, GA, Most of SC (maybe extreme norther upstate), and most of NC. Mtns will do ok and maybe extreme northern NC. Oh, I'm talking about any snow accumulations ie over 2". JMO

If you look at the sampled points for RIC or DCA, I dont think they end up all snow. Roanoke gets crushed though.

I've been looking at temps for a lot of areas.. including VA and some more northern places based off the last few days of models and a lot of them are rain, then snow, then rain, then mix, then snow, rain.. as you aluded to in an earlier post.  I guess it's all about the strength of that low on the coast and what the ULL is doing.

The Euro teased most of you in NC last night with the 200 mile shift Southward, and I had heard a met thought the Euro initialized incorrectly.  The UKMet is still close for a lot of NC though, but it does have the very well known Southern bias on storm systems.

I hope this works out for many in NC, but I have now 100% given up on much for Upstate SC, a lot of NC, and Hell... even some of VA.  The Pacific wrecked us this year guys.

Thanks for the link.

Is it possible that the greater resolution of the Euro and UK Met could be allowing them to pick up on the northern wave while the lesser-resolution models like the GFS are not?

Archived