northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
March 5-6 Storm Discussion

Poimen

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopeful that he is wrong, but expecting that he is right.

From HM in MA thread..sounds bleak for us.

"The 00z ECMWF was definitely a southern outlier against the other guidance. Both the GFS/EURO ensembles and 00z to now 12z GFS have the h5 low go from southern IL to off the NC/VA border. This is not a DC miss and it is getting to that point where I want to throw confetti at you guys! lol

I want to see the ECMWF at 12z, at the very least, bring the mid level centers north to where the GFS suite and ECMWF ensembles have it."

It's also funny since the GFS was comically wrong on the big NE snowstorm earlier this year. Like, 200 miles off 24h out.

One other point I'll make is that, for good or bad, it is just dead wrong to say things like I can't see a model moving 50 miles. I have seen numerous storms that tracked more than 50 miles away from the model runs the day before the storm. You will need to be in the range of the hi-res models before you can nail this down that precisely. I have been in a WSW in the Triad for 6-12 and the rain/snow line ended up in VA.

Concerns of the euro being south are definitely being talked about right now in the MA; They are sweating it too. It'll start to become really interesting if the euro continues showing what it's had the last two runs.

It's the MA, when they get locked into a big storm inside 72 hours it's not going to miss them.  I would imagine we are going to see a blend of of GFS/Euro, which is probably better for them.

It's the MA, when they get locked into a big storm inside 72 hours it's not going to miss them.  I would imagine we are going to see a blend of of GFS/Euro, which is probably better for them.

I wouldnt say that trust me they are sweating the Ukie and Euro big time, and there is still plenty of time for this to work itself back into a NC/S Va hit. If the GFS trends south at all over the next few runs the entire MA board is liable to explode, and what really sucks for them and us is we may not know for sure how it plays out till Tues or Wed.

I wouldnt say that trust me they are sweating the Ukie and Euro big time, and there is still plenty of time for this to work itself back into a NC/S Va hit. If the GFS trends south at all over the next few runs the entire MA board is liable to explode, and what really sucks for them and us is we may not know for sure how it plays out till Tues or Wed.

I don't know why they would freak out, they still get hit hard with the Euro track.

They hug whatever model gives them the most snow.....thats why very little other model talk happens 

UK Met with precip field makes me salivate... (some of that may be rain at the front end, but still)

You're damned right I'm model hugging the Euro and UK Met right now.

That would be all snow as well. This is what we need to root for, something that just bombs away and gives us some big wrap around. 

UK Met with precip field makes me salivate... (some of that may be rain at the front end, but still)

You're damned right I'm model hugging the Euro and UK Met right now.

The euro and uk are the only things really keeping me optimistic right now. I'm definitely happy we have them on our side for the most part, but the GFS would be nice addition.

If the Euro is still south just as positioned last night which model do you believe? 

It's very tough not to take a blend of the Euro and GFS. Both are probably wrong about certain features. If the Euro is night and day different over the GFS then this makes it much tougher to choose. However the big difference between the GFS was really how it handles it's self coming off the coast and how strong that ULL is. By taking a blend you probably get a more realistic approach and that means very little snow central, southern and eastern NC. 

The euro and uk are the only things really keeping me optimistic right now. I'm definitely happy we have them on our side for the most part, but the GFS would be nice addition.

That was a terrible GFS run for you, it's either feast or famine.  Euro was almost 2" of QPF all snow while GFS was 0.25" of QPF that would be snow.

It's very tough not to take a blend of the Euro and GFS. Both are probably wrong about certain features. If the Euro is night and day different over the GFS then this makes it much tougher to choose. However the big difference between the GFS was really how it handles it's self coming off the coast and how strong that ULL is. By taking a blend you probably get a more realistic approach and that means very little snow central, southern and eastern NC. 

My personel thoughts right now we need to focus on the position and strength  of the blocking high then we can get the track right and I have not had time to look back @ previous runs to compare. 

My personel thoughts right now we need to focus on the position and strength  of the blocking high then we can get the track right and I have not had time to look back @ previous runs to compare. 

I just want to see the energy back west to keeping digging a bit more SW every run, seems it has the last several Euro runs now and if that trend keeps up I would think the rest of the track will resolve itself down the road as the models get a better grip on the strong blocking. 

Last night someone posted a couple of WV panels that seemed to show the storm coming ashore on the west coast more south than expected. I know the models to come later on today will provide more detail, but I was wondering if anyone has looked to see how things are evolving in real time on the west coast? (If I had access/expertise, I'd do it myself!)

Translation: packbacker is going crazy because he will be in Herndon, VA this week...LOL

:lmao: , you got me!  I don't know WTF to do, if I am going to cancel my meetings I have to do it by Monday afternoon, hopefully we have model consensus by than. 

Archived