Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
March 5-6 Storm Discussion

Poimen

Thanks for the link.

Is it possible that the greater resolution of the Euro and UK Met could be allowing them to pick up on the northern wave while the lesser-resolution models like the GFS are not?

I really dont know if that would be a reasonable assumption or not because as you can see from the HM discussion he talks about the EURO honing in on the NW Atlantic low and various shortwaves I guess causing the entire development to be shunted southeast which obviously in turns helps us a great deal. We would need Deltadog or Ellinwood to chime in on this. Good question though. Wish I could answer it for you with certainty.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the link.

Is it possible that the greater resolution of the Euro and UK Met could be allowing them to pick up on the northern wave while the lesser-resolution models like the GFS are not?

I also believe its just a matter of which set of model guidance is depicting and portraying which shortwave is the correct one to go with rather so much then high or low level resolution. This is why the forecast is so tricky and such a huge mess considering the heaviest precip could be shifted a couple hundred miles and have a much higher impact in select areas.

I also believe its just a matter of which set of model guidance is depicting and portraying which shortwave is the correct one to go with rather so much then high or low level resolution. This is why the forecast is so tricky and such a huge mess considering the heaviest precip could be shifted a couple hundred miles and have a much higher impact in select areas.

Excellent points, it also a reason to not hug the models every run especially this far out still, when lots of things are still unknown.

As it stands right now things look less than stellar for NC and especially horrible for folks like myself, that said who knows what the models will look like in 24 hrs, they might all have a big dog off ILM clobbering all of NC again like it did back in the 7-8 day range and we will all be freaking out.

I will say though that if the models havent moved much off the current tracks by 12Z Monday someone needs to get the fat lady suited up and ready to sing. 

Comparing the 12z GFS and Euro at hr60 (the upper low is in southern Illinois at this time), on the GFS, the 500mb confluent flow over the northeast is centered through central New York state into central Connecticut.  On the Euro at this same time, the confluent flow is centered over north/central Pennsylvania through central New Jersey (i.e. it's farther southwest on the Euro compared to the GFS)...so to me, this at least partially explains the difference as to why the Euro is slightly south of the GFS in the end. 

Comparing the 12z GFS and Euro at hr60 (the upper low is in southern Illinois at this time), on the GFS, the 500mb confluent flow over the northeast is centered through central New York state into central Connecticut.  On the Euro at this same time, the confluent flow is centered over north/central Pennsylvania through central New Jersey (i.e. it's farther southwest on the Euro compared to the GFS)...so to me, this at least partially explains the difference as to why the Euro is slightly south of the GFS in the end. 

The euro both (operational and ensemble mean), in my mind has been rock solid in the past 4 runs in SLP track and heavy snow axis (Western VA down to ROA).  The GFS has jumped 75-100 miles and the ensemble mean in now showing snow in southern Connecticut.  Given the UKMET and GGEM (in some respects) sides more with the Euro solution, I find it hard to go with the GFS on this one.

The euro both (operational and ensemble mean), in my mind has been rock solid in the past 4 runs in SLP track and heavy snow axis (Western VA down to ROA).  The GFS has jumped 75-100 miles and the ensemble mean in now showing snow in southern Connecticut.  Given the UKMET and GGEM (in some respects) sides more with the Euro solution, I find it hard to go with the GFS on this one.

Thank you for your posting. I think what we need at this point is to step back and look at the whole picture (as you are doing), and understand what we need to look for now that the system is ashore in the west.

Through hr 36, the NAM is noticeably further southwest with the ULL than the 12z run and the block is holding tougher.  This is probably as far out as you want to look at the NAM as things start getting sketchy after hr 48 with the model.  It's a pretty sizable shift.

I really dont know if that would be a reasonable assumption or not because as you can see from the HM discussion he talks about the EURO honing in on the NW Atlantic low and various shortwaves I guess causing the entire development to be shunted southeast which obviously in turns helps us a great deal. We would need Deltadog or Ellinwood to chime in on this. Good question though. Wish I could answer it for you with certainty.

Yeah, I don't really know too well how the models work with that stuff. I'm just speculating/wishcasting, haha.

18z NAM SW of 12z NAM and 12z GFS -- also like that more elongated Euro-ish look to the closed low. Maybe this is the beginning of an epic south trend that we talk about on this board for years to come. (See, I can be optimistic!)

I like the way you think Skip!

There's simply no way to know for sure, but the NAM may very well turn the 500mb low ESE, as opposed to SSE, too fast over Iowa. With so many gyrations of the low along the track it really wouldn't take much to alter the track in one direction or the other. It's kind of like tracking a hurricane in that sense: wobbles just abound.

Archived