amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
March 5-6 Storm Discussion

Poimen

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everyone need to take a look @ WV. The upper level low near Montana is what we are watching. Look at how wound up this thing is WOW. I could see both models being right this thing is wobbling all over the place and strong also!

http://www.goes.noaa.gov/GSSLOOPS/wcwv.html

I agree...

There are a lot of novel features happening all at the same time.

The Atlantic pattern due to the blocking is really something, and,

the Pacific energy attached to the system extends south quite a ways while being pushed up against the very dry air mass/sink that is between it, over the Gulf and Central America, and the similar strong moist energy flow in the Atlantic.

It is not a computer-friendly pattern at the moment.

The spring patterns might end up being really weird for a month or so.  :blink:

Good stripe of QPF running through western VA on the 60 hr image with 850 line already to our east. This is one thing I like from the NAM.

I may need to be north of CHO if the Americans are correct, maybe around Winchester with some elevation. Great run qpf wise, was getting a little worried with 1-1.25" amounts, but that 2"+ strip gives confidence someone's getting 18"+, just need to figure out who. Anywhere from you up 81 to western MD back to about 95, but I do believe the highest amounts will likely be somewhere in western VA, unsure though if it is central or northern.

Blacksburg:

Made some comparisons with past storms through the cooperative

Institute for precipitation systems database. Saw some trends for

limited amounts of freezing rain and at least 0.50 inches of

precipitation east of the Blue Ridge. Also...the 850 easterly jet

that develops by Wednesday morning is a large 5+ Standard

deviations above normal. This would result in tremendous upslope

in the central and northern Appalachians.

For precipitation type BUFKIT sounding support a few hours of

sleet...snow or freezing rain in the northern County Warning Area

early Tuesday. Tuesday night will be a transition from rain to

snow with snow continuing in most locations Wednesday.

Think he was talking about the Euro ensembles being 50 miles further south.......low never making it north of the NC VA border. Not enough to help any of us probably, but a much more substantial event for a chunk of VA.

Actually, you are right, thanks!

The 18Z GFS is definitely further south with the 500 mb low at hour 63, but as of yet, it does not seem to translate into that much of a difference on the surface.  It's also stronger on the NAM with 2 (almost 3) closed contours, while the GFS has 1 (almost 2) closed contours.

18Z NAM @ 63:

IwlPYkZ.gif

18Z GFS @ 63:

wBHWsQY.gif

The GFS takes the ULL up along the New Jersey coastline.  HUGE outlier with that feature.  Doesn't the Euro just shunt the ULL eastward off the NC coast as does the other modeling?

I still think the GFS in struggling to adjust to the blocking.  Either that or it has some incorrect information on initialization and doesn't think the blocking is as strong as it is.  Someone earlier mentioned the energy coming in from the Pacific and how strange it looked.  I've seen some maps that put a small LP on the Nevada/Cali/Arizona boarder, could that play into all this as it moves east?

RAH is still speaking of the possibility of accumulating snow north of HWY 64/40 with the deformation band. So not all is lost here. Hope the EURO is closer to reality than the GFS.

if you had to bet money would you bet the EURO is right or the GFS?

Archived