• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
GL/OV Winter 2012-2013 Final Grade

Powerball

A firm C-, very little chance of that going up short of a big storm.

December: B- (Namely, December 26th storm)

January: C (Namely the intense LES events, would have given a higher grade had I not mised out on the best banding).

February: D (Nothing memorable happened this month, aside from the slush fest, too much pocket change for my liking)

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

December: D-

Gave some wintry weather in the end, but overall a failure.

January: D+

Some wintry spells, a couple good cold shots that made it feel like January at least.

February: A

What can I say this month was awesome, was wintry in every aspect. Only a couple days w/o snow on the ground.

Overall: C+

If the Solstice storm would have given to the area, then this winter grade would have been bumped. The long boring stretches really got to me this winter.

Dec. - B

Jan. - C+

Feb. - A

A very solid B/B+ winter here. I was tempted to rate it a little higher but it's easy to forget how awful most of December and January were after a rockin' February. 

Highlights:

-Final week of December

-Polar vortex in January

-Feb. 8, 2013 snowstorm

-Below-average in temps and above-average in snow for Feb.

-High number of days with snowcover

Lowlights:

-Torching for 20 days straight in December

-Record warmth in January

-Too many rainstorms/flooding

-Feb. 26 storm underperformed big time imby

-Only two significant storms, mostly dime-and-nickel snowfalls

Dec: C (only good thing was the 3.7" with the Dec 20th blizzard, but it was badass)

Jan:  F-  abysmal

Feb: B+ great rally at the end

Overall D.  Not an F like last winter because at least this season there was a lot more action to track around the MW/east coast etc.  Even the rain events were at least mildly interesting, no pun intended lol.  Last season there was little to track, and even rain systems of any quality were hard to come by.  D may seem a bit harsh after a decent Feb, but with <20" of seasonal snowfall, that puts us WELL below average again.

Split time this winter...but, will go ahead and vouch for northern Ohio, since that is where I saw the majority of my snowfall.

December: Mild weather was rewarded with a ten day stretch of continued cold/snow, that rallied CLE to an above average snow December (by an inch) even with a +5.4F temp departure, illustrating how snowy the end of the month was. Given the stretch at the end of the month was by far and away the best wintry stretch since February 2011, including one moderate lake enhanced storm, the moderately heavy Boxing Day storm, and a couple of other smaller systems thrown in, will go with a B-.

January: First 20 days of month were again dismal. Lake effect blitz and cold at the end of the month dropped significant snow in the Snowbelt, although CLE was largely missed. Given the dead stretch for the first 2/3 of the month, and the fact that the significant snowfall was so confined to the primary Snowbelt where not many folks live, will go with a D.

February: First 10 days of the month was very active with many clippers and a more widespread lake effect event on February 1 that ended up dropping significant snowfall on much of Cuyahoga County. Thereafter there was a slow down in activity, although there were two more moderate end lake effect events, one affecting a large area outside of the primary Snowbelt in far northeastern OH, and one confined strictly to the primary belt. February finished 4.9" above normal snowfall wise at CLE and below normal in the temp department by 2.6 degrees, so need to give this month a better than average grade despite a couple of snow cover killing warmups. Therefor, B.

Overall, after moving to SE OH for school, despite not seeing any large snowfalls, Athens, OH did well snowfall wise compared to climo. Thus, won't bump down my "personal" overall grade due to performance in SE OH. Some chance to bump up Tuesday-Wednesday when I'm home in Northern Ohio but will go with C+. Many northern Ohioans may argue that should be lower, but the Snowbelt, and climo sites such as CAK (Akron/Canton) are running near or somewhat above average snowfall wise. There have also been two very active/cold stretches. The non-snowy stretches have been very mild as opposed to cold/rainy (sans the first half of this week) so I don't see reason for those to take away from the final grade either.

December: C+. 8.0" event saved that month on the 26th. First 20 days F. 13.8" total

January: C Pretty Average Thank You LES and some arctic air saved this month. 10.7" total

Feburary: B+ 24.7" looks hot but...nothing awesome a lot of snow that just kept melting off could not sustain a snow pack worth wild.  Even this last storm was more meh then spectacular. 1.2" of QPF 5.3" of snow then a slow foggy melt for almost 48 hrs. kept it from being an A

This Winter overall I give it a B. Solid Winter two events of 6"+ 

A firm C-, very little chance of that going up short of a big storm.

December: B- (Namely, December 26th storm)

January: C (Namely the intense LES events, would have given a higher grade had I not mised out on the best banding).

February: D (Nothing memorable happened this month, aside from the slush fest, too much pocket change for my liking)

lol, 2 feet of snow and a D.

Solid   D.

December - A waste until the last 10 days   C-

January - Largest snow, 1.6" Only thing that kept it from being an F was snow cover for the first 10 days from December snow   D-

February - Deepest snow depth for the entire month 2"   D-

December: B

After one of the latest first inch of snows on record, we had the season's best bout of snow the last 10 days of the month. The December 26th storm could have salvaged the season had it produced the 8-12" snows with blizzard like winds, but it ended up being a modest 4-6" dud and sadly, the highlight of the season.

January: E

With less than 1/3rd of normal snowfall and almost nothing more than a few lake effect dustings, the month was a complete dud.

February: D

Outside of the first few days of the month, I picked up less than 4" of snow.

OVERALL: D

I had one snowfall greater than 3". That pretty much sums up winter '12/'13

December: B

After one of the latest first inch of snows on record, we had the season's best bout of snow the last 10 days of the month. The December 26th storm could have salvaged the season had it produced the 8-12" snows with blizzard like winds, but it ended up being a modest 4-6" dud and sadly, the highlight of the season.

January: E

With less than 1/3rd of normal snowfall and almost nothing more than a few lake effect dustings, the month was a complete dud.

February: D

Outside of the first few days of the month, I picked up less than 4" of snow.

OVERALL: D

I had one snowfall greater than 3". That pretty much sums up winter '12/'13

Decent winter here. Even better (although slightly) in Detroit. That's a tight gradient between the haves and the have nots. Although in absolute terms, your seasonal snowfall is not half bad, but I know relative to your ytd average it's probably 60-70% of normal.

As for me this winter was excellent. Many salt runs for the DAB's and C-1 events. Then there was a few smaller systems dropping 2-5" amounts. All in all Feb was the best month for I logged 16 events out of the 28 days. Although some events were finial clean ups for the previous days snow fall.

We still have a few weeks left to generate a larger 6"+ storm, till then I will give mothernature a solid B+.

I'm grading on N Mich standards.  The fact that "wow" was the most used term in my vocab this Winter will not be a factor in the final grade.... perhaps some extra credit points.

Dec- solid D.  There were only pesky snows til mid-month when the snowcover finally came... swooping in to save Christmas. 12" of a hvy wet plastering.

Jan- C+.  would have been better but a few warmup's early gave me stress. Light snows fell off and on til mid-month when the snow started and didn't stop.

Feb- B+.  The reason I didn't give it an A is because I feel like you have to have somewhere to go....possibility of better always exists.

Charlevoix, 12 miles North, recorded their 2nd snowiest Feb ever and Gaylord, 30 miles away, it was their 5th snowiest month.... need I say more.  Depth peaked out at 30".... 20" still here. 

The fact that my season total is in the 100"  range, the longevity and depth of the snowpack, plus in Late Jan I saw 12" in 4.5 hours.....  These are what I'm basing my final grade on.

Which is: B-

Flirted with a C+, but a last minute reach-around made all the difference.

Monthly breakdown for downtown Toronto:

December: C-  Awful first 20 days. Warm and no measurable snow. But the last 10 days saved the month. A 6" snowfall on the 26th/27th plus another 2" on the 29th.

January: C+  No big snowfalls, but there were three notable lake effect events. A Lake Ontario thermal low during the overnight hours of Jan 2nd/3rd gave downtown almost 3". On the 22nd, another LE event gave the downtown core 2". A third one on the 25th gave another 2". The month was capped off with another couple of inches on the 28th.

February: A-  Awesome month. 14" on the 7th/8th was the highlight of the month. Biggest snowstorm since 1999. Another 2-3" on the 16th from another Lake Ontario thermal low. And another inch or two on the 26th/27th, although if the temperatures were one degree colder, there would have been more snow and as a result the monthly grade for Feb would have been an A or A+.

Overall: B/B-

Snow depth never cracking 5 inches at any one time is an automatic F, but considering a white Xmas and 60% normal snowfall brings it up to a D+.

Met winter has ended, but any post Feb 28th snow can retroactively change that grade.

Archived