12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
GL/OV Winter 2012-2013 Final Grade

Powerball

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lotta poor grades coming out of SE MI despite being on of the few regions in the SF that weren't consistently screwed all winter.

Here is the reason and the only. Until both things happen expect bad attitudes about winter around here.....

Last 15"+ event was in 1974. 2nd longest drought behind K.C east of Rockies north of the Mason/Dixon line. 1 - 12" event since 1982 will give you piss poor attitudes about winter in these parts. There standards are way to high. A lot of them live in low elevations near water of SEMI makes it even more harder.

I am not going to break it down month to month, but I'd say it was a solid B winter, if we had a really big storm it would have been an A and lol at powerball's rankings what a crock.

Its to each their own...but its just crazy to call Detroits 8th snowiest Feb a D :lol:

I usually grade the entire winter...and March plays into it. Right now id give this winter a B+. march will determine the final grade, which will end of anywhere from a B to an A. Snowcover and snowfall were above normal, so thats what matters most to me. However, the first 3 weeks of December were beyond abysmal, cant forget that.

Lotta poor grades coming out of SE MI despite being on of the few regions in the SF that weren't consistently screwed all winter.

Jongers grade is a little understandable because he lives in the area of SE MI that should see the most snow and it has seen the least (the fringes of the Lansing screwzone of 2012-13). When Detroit is starting March with over a foot more snowfall on the season than Howell, and Monroe has had higher snow depths, its not Howells season. Cant say I pity him though, he just  packs up and heads wherever the best snow is :lol:

As for the other poor grades, I have to echo hm. Would you expect anything less? I saw enough complaining when Detroit logged nearly 70" of snow in 2010-11 for its 5th snowiest winter. Did you think a run-of-the-mill above average snow season would be different? :lmao:

Did southern SEMI counties ever get a Winter Storm Warning?

Dont think so. i can recall several advisories, several should-have-been advisories, but no warnings. But that matters zilch to me. We had a warning criteria snowfall on Dec 26th that had an advisory issued. Its not the storms choice what product the NWS issues :lol:

Here is the reason and the only. Until both things happen expect bad attitudes about winter around here.....

Last 15"+ event was in 1974. 2nd longest drought behind K.C east of Rockies north of the Mason/Dixon line. 1 - 12" event since 1982 will give you piss poor attitudes about winter in these parts. There standards are way to high. A lot of them live in low elevations near water of SEMI makes it even more harder.

I love 99% of your posts, but have to smh at this post. What in the world does that have to do with THIS winter? The Tigers havent won the World Series since 1984, but they have lost it twice in this last decade. So lets say they go 120-42 in 2013, I guess we should grade it a C/D because they havent won the whole thing since 1984?

By the way, there is NO statistical proof other than SE MI posters heresay that its the "second longest drought" behind KC (which, by the way, KC has not seen a 15"+ storm since 1912). Im REALLY gonna have to ork on a project where I look at every first-order climate station and their top 5 snowstorms the last 50 years or so.

Lastly I want to ask...how many here live at DTW airport? Because I will guarentee you that just about every poster here has seen more than one 12"+ event since 1982. (see 1992, 1994, 1999, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2011).

To me winter isn't over untill April 15th or so. Till then the plows and salter are ready to rock!! If there is no more wnitery weather from now till then my grade will be adjusted accordingly.

That's a good point there. I consider March more like winter, then spring around here. Maybe I can tack on some extra credit if March delivers a little more.

I love 99% of your posts, but have to smh at this post. What in the world does that have to do with THIS winter? The Tigers havent won the World Series since 1984, but they have lost it twice in this last decade. So lets say they go 120-42 in 2013, I guess we should grade it a C/D because they havent won the whole thing since 1984?

By the way, there is NO statistical proof other than SE MI posters heresay that its the "second longest drought" behind KC (which, by the way, KC has not seen a 15"+ storm since 1912). Im REALLY gonna have to ork on a project where I look at every first-order climate station and their top 5 snowstorms the last 50 years or so.

Lastly I want to ask...how many here live at DTW airport? Because I will guarentee you that just about every poster here has seen more than one 12"+ event since 1982. (see 1992, 1994, 1999, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2011).

I know 100% accurate. I will coment on this later at work right now.

I know 100% accurate. I will coment on this later at work right now.

You would have to literally check every single first order climate station, since thats apparently the entire purpose (surrounding burbs or spotter totals DO NOT count). I can tell you right now in addition to MCI, STL and TOL have went longer. Also why have we knocked this down to 15"+ when it used to be 18"+? Oh I found the reason...IND squeeked out 15.2" with the 1978 storm otherwise they have gone longer. In fact, STL & IND have never even seen a 18"+ storm on record. you can add many areas of IL state that have yet to see an 18"+ snow on record (per the IL state climatologist), as well as didnt we recently discover some area in IA (or was it one of the dakotas) that never had a greater than 12" storm on record at their site?

It really doesnt matter, because this is another topic (that is deemed necessary to be discussed when discussing anything winter related). I dont care if DTW had the LONGEST streak...it should have ZERO to do with how you grade a certain winter, or else thats one hell of a complex.

Actually the band that set up shop over DTW the other night kind of made me think of this. I can JUST see now what is gonna happen. All those other storms the last few decades when surrounding areas of SE MI be it N, S, E, W of the airport had 12"+ but DTW had 11.1", 11.3", 11.8" etc....well coming up, we will get some storm that drops, say 11-13" over most of SE MI but DTW will have a jackpot lollipop (similar to CMH in 2008) and get like 16" and all we will hear is that its not fair because it wasnt a widespread 16" storm, it taints the record since most areas got closer to a foot, it stat pads, and on and on and on and on. :lmao:

trust me I have seen it all over the years here...there isnt a recipe in the world that will stop the general negative winter attitude from some. For people like you and me, the increase in 6"+ snowstorms in recent years as well as nice snowcover makes winter enjoyable. For others, not so much. :)

F for the LAF.

The Feb 26-27 event was the icing on the cake.

Me personally, I would reserve F for the worst of the worst. This one was pretty bad but it could've been worse in terms of winter weather (like wall to wall warmth).

I don't remember my grade for last winter...I'll have to check. If nothing really changes then I would probably go a half to a full grade lower.

Personal preferences aside, Detroit did make the top 20 list for something in each month:

December: 9th warmest (tie) Dec on record since 1874

January: 12th wettest Jan on record since 1881

February: 8th snowiest Feb on record since 1881

DJF:

8.91" - 11th wettest winter on record

30.6F - 17th warmest (tie) on record

44.1"  of snowfall - unsure of rank for DJF (will have to look)

Overall I thought the quality of Feb sucked. Was no 2010 or 2011 style Feb.

From 1880 till 2013, this February would be in the top 1/3rd in relation to average. The other two months should be near the top of the bottom 1/3rd.

Overall I thought the quality of Feb sucked. Was no 2010 or 2011 style Feb.

i will have to agree with the bolded. On the flip side, I am going to start researching Detroits other snowy months. I dont know if theyve ever had a month before where 7 calendar days had 2"+ of snowfall.

DTW

..................Total fall....Greatest Storm....Greatest Depth

Feb 2010...27.0"..........8.6"..................10"

Feb 2011...31.7"........10.3".............,....16"

Feb 2013...23.5"..........6.5"*..................6"

MBY

..................Total fall....Greatest Storm....Greatest Depth

Feb 2010...28.5"..........8.0"..................12"

Feb 2011...31.8"........10.2"..............;...16"

Feb 2013...22.0"..........4.5"*..................6"

*the 12-hour lull made this storm much less impressive than final snow amt would indicate

From 1880 till 2013, this February would be in the top 1/3rd in relation to average. The other two months should be near the top of the bottom 1/3rd.

Im not a huge fan of ranking months because of how a calendar does not follow a weather pattern. December as a whole SUCKED, but in the end snowfall ended up actually a tick above normal (in its entirety coming after the month was 3 weeks old). Bottom line though, if you would rank simply by snowfall, both Dec & Jan would be right in the middle (Dec a little above, Jan a little below) but Feb closer to the top.

Me personally, I would reserve F for the worst of the worst. This one was pretty bad but it could've been worse in terms of winter weather (like wall to wall warmth).

I don't remember my grade for last winter...I'll have to check. If nothing really changes then I would probably go a half to a full grade lower.

Last winter>>>this winter in the LAF. Almost double the snowfall that we've seen this season. It was pretty much an end to end blowtorch last winter, so getting snow was a novelty. And we came close to average. But this winter...the opportunities have been there, and we've failed miserably every time. Like I said though, the Feb 26-27 was the last straw...and thus, F. No extra credit available.

DEC: Last week earned a B, enough snow to play with my new jeep in made it worthwhile. 

JAN: C- Snowcover to start the month, with a couple of ground covering snows made it bearable.

FEB: F Cold, rain, mud, nothing fun weather-wise at all about this month minus a near 60 degree day. 

1.56 GPA puts right right between a C- and a D+, I'd lean for the D+.

DEC: Last week earned a B, enough snow to play with my new jeep in made it worthwhile. 

JAN: C- Snowcover to start the month, with a couple of ground covering snows made it bearable.

FEB: F Cold, rain, mud, nothing fun weather-wise at all about this month minus a near 60 degree day. 

1.56 GPA puts right right between a C- and a D+, I'd lean for the D+.

Where are you from? I can't see on my phone.

I'm going with a C+/B- here in CMH.

Slow start to winter sucked, but that's not exactly a rarity anymore.   Then we had the boxing day storm and a couple of snows to freshen the snowpack the following week to week and a half, which meant we had about 2 weeks of a solid snow pack through the holiday season.

To me, it's about what we will remember, and frankly there are few true winter events that lock in as memories forever.   This winter had one.  Tracking the Dec.26th storm the week leading up to xmas was the kind of thing that makes being a snow weenie worth it. 

I will never forget coming home from the inlaws xmas eve night and sitting around getting ready to go to midnight mass.  The 18z model runs and the 00z nam run had begun a slight southward...colder shift...and it looked like the trend had begun and we were going to get clobbered.   Someone even renamed the storm thread subtitle referring to 'buckeye getting crushed'....or something like that.  

By xmas morning the models started warming again...but it still looked decent.   Xmas day at my sister's house and the kids cell phones started going off and weather bulletins were being text for blizzard warnings nearby for the next day.

In the end...the WTOD had it's say here in columbus and we lost the first 6 or so hours of precip to sleet and slop, but managed to salvage a backend thump.   All in all very good memories.

After that a few nickles and dimes thru january and then February blew chunks as we watched nothing but close calls and heartbreaks.   If it wasn't for the end of Dec, beginning of Jan....this winter would have failed.   But that short period of time, in my view, along with the fact that we are ending up damn close to average snowfall, was good enough to bump it to a C+/B-.

This winter was nowhere near as bad as last years. That's for sure. 

December: B-

Very boring until the 26th storm, but it overperformed here. Christmas eve snow, too. 

January: C

No big storms, alot of nickle and dime events. Quite warm and boring stretch. 

February: A-

Very snowy month. Cold. Actually felt like the first wintery month in two years. 

Overall: B-

. Lacking that big storm. Alot of cold wasted. Unusual amount of rainstorms. 

Archived