e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
GL/OV Winter 2012-2013 Final Grade

Powerball

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would think that if you didn't care for snow, then living up there is probably not the right place for you. So that's why I think there isn't much bitching going on up there.

On the other hand, there's more people down here that are a bit on the poor side, and lack the financial resources to move to places more comfortable to them. Many around my age and younger go off to colleges somewhere out west or down south.

Snow isn't the only thing that people complain about in SEMI, it's everything, the economy, the cold, the roads, you name it. They believe the grass is greener on the other side. It's an irritating mentality to deal with for people that actually DO want to live here.

I beg to differ about the poverty rates in metro detroit as compared to Northern Lower MI. Outside of the fancy resorts and beautiful pine forests, its a struggle. Crawford, Otsego , Kalkaska & a little of Antrim counties have very impovershed areas. Ever been through parts of Otsego or Crawford counties? Kalkaska county is a struggle as well.

I beg to differ about the poverty rates in metro detroit as compared to Northern Lower MI. Outside of the fancy resorts and beautiful pine forests, its a struggle. Crawford, Otsego , Kalkaska & a little of Antrim counties have very impovershed areas. Ever been through parts of Otsego or Crawford counties? Kalkaska county is a struggle as well.

Yea, there's no money up there. Personally, I'd rather be poor up there, than down here.

Detroit is just awful.

Maybe, this thread, like some storm threads this winter, was started too early. We are having an energizer bunny winter. It keeps going and going......

That being said, it's still a D IMBY.

Late season 10" gets me to a solid C. Hard for me to give a lower grade any season with a 10" snowfall. With that being said, nov, dec, jan were still god awful.

Assuming the upcoming storm doesn't disappoint, the lowest grade I will be able to give this winter is a C. Normally a winter with 2 events near/above 6" would be a B or better given lackluster big storm climo but it's difficult for me to go that high given the poor start and these significant events coming so late in the season which means that they don't have a lot of staying power. The grade would go up if another storm were to occur.

Let me explain the mindset of some SE MI posters to you....

If you have lasting snowcover its boring and gets dirty, if you don't all the snow that has fallen is stat-padding or pointless because it melts quickly.

If your area is getting more snow than everyone else, regardless of how much or little falls, its aggravating unless its a 2+ foot storm. If your area is getting less snow than most other places, its aggravating because your a screw hole.

If you miss out on a 6-10" storm, complaints galore about how &^*$% SE MI always misses out....when SE MI jackpots in a 6-10" storm its even more frustrating because sure we jackpot in these storms, we cant in the 18"+ storms.

When we are almost continuously exceeding snowfall climo here, and its starting to really show in the record books....you will hear a million excuses why its not fair (nickel and diming, stat padding, etc), but the second we are below normal in snowfall (see 2011-12 or the very beginning of 2012-13) you hear the moans.

Ive mentioned it before but it really deserves its own point. Stat-padding. Just exactly what kind of snow in SE MI is statpadding? Well..its fluffy snow...slushy snow....powder snow....and snow that melts rather quickly regardless of its initial ratio,

Models showing a system that never materializes (even though said system is not of historic proportions) really sets off a flurry (pun intended) of swearing, emotions, etc. A storm that hits and is a complete surprise (modeled to miss us or underdone by the models) may evoke an hour or two of happiness before you start to hear "I have to shovel AGAIN", "another long commute", or the best "sure, these 6" and under storms never fail to exceed expectations, but what about the bigger ones?".

When you have a winter with very low snowcover (see 2011-12) all you hear is how it doesnt look like winter, bare ground in MI in Jan, it looks like spring in mid-winter, so depressing. But any other time when snowcover is above normal it is mocked by most as a not-important aspect of winter (outside of the far north winter rec areas).

I could go on and on....bottom line...there isnt a winter in the world that will garnder a grade higher than a C-/D+ from some. Oh well, its life :)

I just saw this, and this may be the best post I've read all year. :lmao:

The best I can give this Winter is a C-. The C since we did end up close to normal, and the minus for not having what I would consider a true storm... We had a system produce eight inches over a couple days. That storm had melting and compaction though, depth never more than about five inches.

Now if another surprise late season storm of eight plus happens I'll raise to a B-.

The best I can give this Winter is a C-. The C since we did end up close to normal, and the minus for not having what I would consider a true storm... We had a system produce eight inches over a couple days. That storm had melting and compaction though, depth never more than about five inches.

Now if another surprise late season storm of eight plus happens I'll raise to a B-.

DVN only had 5.4" over those two days.  Had 5.7" here.  MLI seemed a bit high to me with that, but maybe they just got really lucky there with some banding or something. 

Gave this winter a D earlier this winter, and with seasonal amounts still about 10" down see no reason to upgrade.  The horrific Dec and Jan will take a dent out of the final grade even if a surprise storm were to impact us in the next few weeks.

Maybe this thread, like some storm threads this winter, was started too early. We are having an energizer bunny winter. It keeps going and going......

That being said, it's still a D IMBY.

If predictions for the upcoming storm verify here, I may have to bump up to a C-. Still a gawd-awful start to winter, January was horrid, and February was typical nickle and dimes.

Can't give out a final grade, but B- is the absolute floor for this winter. 6"+ event in March could send it into A- territory, although the grade has to be kept in check somewhat considering the awful start.

Looks like B- will end up being the final grade (barring something incredible happening in April). Below normal snowfall and a fair bit of frustration in November, December, January, and now March. Only February came to the rescue in a big way and allowed the overall seasonal snowfall total to approach normal. It actually would be more of a C grade winter but the 12"+ storm on Feb 8 was a mitigating factor and forced my hand to go with the B-.

Looks like B- will end up being the final grade (barring something incredible happening in April). Below normal snowfall and a fair bit of frustration in November, December, January, and now March. Only February came to the rescue in a big way and allowed the overall seasonal snowfall total to approach normal. It actually would be more of a C grade winter but the 12"+ storm on Feb 8 was a mitigating factor and forced my hand to go with the B-.

Same here. B/B- is my final grade for this winter unless April 1975 or 1979 happens.

DVN only had 5.4" over those two days.  Had 5.7" here.  MLI seemed a bit high to me with that, but maybe they just got really lucky there with some banding or something. 

Gave this winter a D earlier this winter, and with seasonal amounts still about 10" down see no reason to upgrade.  The horrific Dec and Jan will take a dent out of the final grade even if a surprise storm were to impact us in the next few weeks.

Today's late season snow will bump the overall grade up to a D+ I guess.  Seasonal total is now only about 7" short of average, but the slow start and lack of a 6" storm yet again this winter keeps the grade less than a C.  Up until last winter I've never experienced one without at least one 6" snowfall from a single storm.  This winter makes for two winters in a row without a single 6" storm.  In theory this ensures at least one good storm next winter, as it would seem highly unlikely we get screwed three winters in a row.

I am not going to break it down month to month, but I'd say it was a solid B winter, if we had a really big storm it would have been an A and lol at powerball's rankings what a crock.

I think this month so far moves the grade backward toward B-, it has been painfully boring all month outside of one minor slopfest.

C it is then. Extra credit FTW.

What's your April snow climo like? We can barely muster an inch or two in April so I'm guessing it's pretty much dead snow wise down in the tropics.

Even still, EURO/GGEM showing the PV paying us one last visit around D6, which eventually reinforces our -NAO/blocky pattern across Atlantic Canada. Time a wave off the Pacific properly and presto...snow covered daffodils. 

December: C+. 8.0" event saved that month on the 26th. First 20 days F. 13.8" total

January: C Pretty Average Thank You LES and some arctic air saved this month. 10.7" total

Feburary: B+ 24.7" looks hot but...nothing awesome a lot of snow that just kept melting off could not sustain a snow pack worth wild.  Even this last storm was more meh then spectacular. 1.2" of QPF 5.3" of snow then a slow foggy melt for almost 48 hrs. kept it from being an A

March: D+ 5.1" Snowfall was there...well sorta.  Clipper brought 2.5" and there were a ton of 0.3" kind of events... Maybe 4 days of Sun, very dark!, Very brisk and numerous storms were a miss. To me this was a disappointing month and wasted cold air. That is why I give it a high D+. It was fun seeing other get blasted but this months weather overall was a grind and annoying for this area. 

Overall: C/C+ 76-77% kind of winter a C-hair above average

sticking with my C. This was your run of the mill late March snowstorm for here about 3.5, it's pretty and all but all it does is make me want 70s and sunshine.

Ironically we will be well above normal snowfall for the winter, (around 40"), but other than the two weeks around xmas and new years.... a very forgettable season as we nickled and dimed our way there. Never received a snowstorm IMBY that would have technically reached warnig criteria....4+"

What's your April snow climo like? We can barely muster an inch or two in April so I'm guessing it's pretty much dead snow wise down in the tropics.

Even still, EURO/GGEM showing the PV paying us one last visit around D6, which eventually reinforces our -NAO/blocky pattern across Atlantic Canada. Time a wave off the Pacific properly and presto...snow covered daffodils. 

Very much pennies and nickels in April around here, climo wise. But it's not a total freak occurrence.

And as promised per Hoosier's deal, my final grade...B-.

Archived