Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Vendor, Blog and TV Channel Forecasts Thread

earthlight

Plenty cold after D10 ,   

D15 at 500 it tries to take the lowest thicknesses off the west coast , too far back the trough  in the east will deeper than modeled , cant post map . but the new day 12 looked like todays  day 15  3 days ago and now at day 12 - theres a deep trough through the lakes

Euro bias

GFS seems to have handed this -EPO pattern better any way....

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GFS seems to have handed this -EPO pattern better any way....

The NEG WPO  is really what has helped hold this pattern together , We are headed to 4 SD below normal there 

and that pumps the ridge through  Alaska , across the Pole and keeps the Dam in place .

So all out Cold is locked into Canada and it has pulsed down all winter . Pattern stay with us thru end of FEB , by that time 

many will want this to break . gfs_wpo_bias.png

Steve D says that the storm on Monday could drop a fresh snow pack which would help lock in the cold temps for Wed event. Loves the GGEM and says that it makes the most sense. Link to video here.

http://www.nynjpaweather.com/2014/01/30/video-discussion-for-january-30-2014/

Perhaps for a time meaning a longer period of icing but I don't think snowpack helps much once winds shift around to the E/SE

Has he got anything right this year. He has been awful with his snow maps in my area for a few storms.

he called the january 2nd storm about 10 days before it happened.  he got the snow forecast exactly right for my area on january 21.  he also called for a cold snowy winter.  he's had his ups and downs over the years, but overall he's been very very good this winter.

But PB GFI just said that the pattern breaks by late February according to the JMA weeklies and CFS. I am confused.

JMA and CFS? Who cares what they say? Not that the Euro has been much better in the super long range. Regardless it's all speculation anyway and a crap shoot basically.

JMA and CFS? Who cares what they say? Not that the Euro has been much better in the super long range. Regardless it's all speculation anyway and a crap shoot basically.

JMA weeklies have blown away any other tool this year .  The cfsv2  has also been good forecasting the cold , cant ignore it because it doesn't say cold after March 1 , its COLD thru Feb , lets up a little week 3 . but back week 4

Cant see the weeklies in March , Feb looks looks cold and the analogs lean towards it breaking , ( like the CFSV2   says )

HM is a smart guy . So maybe he is right .

I said we break when Feb is done .,HM says early March , not sure if that's a big difference

JMA weeklies have blown away any other tool this year .  The cfsv2  has also been good forecasting the cold , cant ignore it because it doesn't say cold .

Cant see the weeklies in March , Feb looks looks cold and the analogs lean towards it breaking , ( like the CFSV2   says )

HM is a smart guy . So maybe he is right .

I said we break when Feb is done .,HM says early March , not sure if that's a big difference

Past performance doesn't mean it continues performing similarly. It's worth a look but to take any of these super long range tools seriously is basically throwing a dart at a dart board while being blindfolded lol.

wow...Spring coming in March...Who would have thought?...lets get thru February before we get to March...we are due for an April storm and the analogs agree...If February continues well below average then March will be the warmer month...If February torches winter comes back for a visit in March and April...

wow...Spring coming in March...Who would have thought?...lets get thru February before we get to March...we are due for an April storm and the analogs agree...If February continues well below average then March will be the warmer month...If February torches winter comes back for a visit in March and April...

Seen plenty of wicked March storms; you can get big blizzards in March, tho it has been quiet in recent years. i'll never forget the 10-11 inches of concrete after 93 superstorm; had to close the schools for days because the stuff was hard to remove; I had to use a garden spade to dig out.

Steve D has 1-3" for NYC, 3-6" CNJ/SNJ

he is too far south with the 3 -6 - and too far south with the 1 - 3 must not have seen the 12Z data yet - impossible to predict snow amounts with this one yet since the models have not stopped trending north yet

http://www.nynjpaweather.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Screen-Shot-2014-02-01-at-10.17.22-AM.png

If it was me, I would have waited until this evening before putting out a snowfall accumulation map especially since the models seem to be trending further north. But both DT and Steve D. will be able to adjust their accumulation maps in subsequent updates if needed.

Kind of interesting of the negativity toward prof. Mets.When they bust the amateurs knock em, and when they get it right, well anybody who reads models could have seen it.

Some of them have to put out maps earlier than t hey would like , because there clients expect it. Most people here would love to be the first to nail an event.

Responsible weather analysis is all I want here, respecting both hobbyist and met.

• Rjay locked this topic

Archived