• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Vendor, Blog and TV Channel Forecasts Thread

earthlight

Jan 26, 2011, 3/4 of the snow was wraparound and there was 12" in 5 hours. Not saying this will happen again but if we have a closed 500mb low go by, it will be a fun few hours even if there's rain for a time on the front end.

The warmer trend on the Euro is a little disconcerting, I have to admit.

I completely forgot about that being wrap around. I vividly vividly remember thunder super heavy sleet ( so hard you could not stand outside)

In weather there is never a given

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If that came to fruition, then I'd prefer this storm miss everyone on the East Coast. That would be pure torture to watch as I would be seeing heavy rain while inland folks just 30 miles west of me are cashing in. Almost like watching other men take a girl home after a clubbing night while you get zilch.

The mix line will be even further west according to what people are saying on other threads. I don't think its torture considering we had a great run: I said after last Wed that winter had shot its load for us IMO and it looks like I may be right. But that's totally my own idea ( though they are seeing a warmup next week to seasonable temps...spring is coming ) this just ain't our storm. Now, a lot of winters a3-6 or 4-8 event with rain would be a welcome godsend, so lets take it if it comes.

DT is taking a beating with some of the comments on his Facebook page. Nice to see that there are some sensible people see through this crap. You get the post from one of his followers this is the man does this for free. Bunch of baloney. It always seems worried about what everyone else is forecasting...he's a total con. The great manipulator.

Rich Hoffman news 12 li

The rain will wash all the snow away

Umm really? I would be pissed if I were a kid and heard that! Li school districts could take that to mean a repeat of December which we know was a whole other animal for a million different reasons

Yea news 12 is usually pretty brutal. Speaking of awfulness in the world of TV weather personalities, I decided to put on TWC when I got home from work. I usually flip it on for a few mins twice a week. I don't know why I do...probably my love for the weather. Anyway, TWC has decided to make no sense once again. They show you a computer model run which they say is part of what they base their forecast off of. It shows a snow to a decent period of rain to a long dry slot to snow scenario for NYC and Philly. They immediately then show you 2 ways the storm can track. One basically hugs the coast and then heads for the eastern tip of LI. The other is a BM track. They say they are going with the 2nd track which according to them keeps the big cities all snow. Now this obviously contradicts what they just showed on the computer model they used and their local forecasts (for my area at least). Basically you just heard them go with both scenarios in a matter of 30 secs. They are completely unwatchable. ..and usually are so far behind on what they forecast to what we all know is about to happen. In this case there definitely is more uncertainty. But in other clear cut cases like the storms in Jan, they were so bad up until 6 hours before the storm that it's become irresponsible. And the way they just fumbled that segment I talked about, makes me wonder why I still turn it on at all.

Highly, highly doubtful, about rain washing the snow away. How is maybe a half inch of rain going to wash away 1" liquid that falls as snow at temps that will stay 35 and below? Honestly, what the TV mets say confounds me sometimes. They hype up what should be barely discussed, and play down what should be hyped. Tomorrow morning's commute is going to be a complete disaster and there's a real threat for power losses if the amount of wet snow falls that seems likely.

Rich Hoffman has been fighting for his life on facebook. Seemingly he is annoyed with all of the facebook weather pages that have been forecasting anything near 10-12 inches. He has been claiming a mainly rain event for days now.

Hoffman is a joke. He downplays everything till the last minute, and then "revises" his forecast after its already happened. Yesterday he had a fb post of "Here's what I'm thinking..." and it was verbatim ripped from weather.gov's discussion section. You could do his job with no meteorological training at all. 

Under WSW in SW suffolk for 4-8". Thinking i get 9-12" from the front end dump alone. Upton being VERY conservative ATM

I'm in 6-8, I'd be perfectly content with that. I just want the front end dump to be large enough for them to cancel schools. People like Hoffman spewing "mostly rain" is going to make school districts think its okay to open, or just do a two hour delay. I don't want my friends and family whom work in schools to risk their lives because of shoddy, irresponsible forecasting. 

I'm in 6-8, I'd be perfectly content with that. I just want the front end dump to be large enough for them to cancel schools. People like Hoffman spewing "mostly rain" is going to make school districts think its okay to open, or just do a two hour delay. I don't want my friends and family whom work in schools to risk their lives because of shoddy, irresponsible forecasting. 

Most LI schools will close Thursday and Friday while The NYC mayor will have me getting my dog sled ready to teach 4 kids tomorrow because I think he comes up with his own forecasts.

Not sure if you saw my earlier post but that's exactly what I'm thinking. It's going to be ripping at 7am and even at 9am for a delayed opening

Fri nite - Sat

DEEP LOW PRESSURE MOVES WELL TO THE NORTHEAST
FRIDAY...WITH NEXT FRONT APPROACHING FROM THE WEST. IT DOES LOOK
LIKE LOW PRESSURE DEVELOPS JUST TO THE SOUTHEAST LATE FRIDAY NIGHT
AND EARLY SATURDAY. ECMWF IS FAIRLY AGGRESSIVE WITH MEASURABLE QPF
ACROSS EASTERN HALF OF THE AREA LATE FRIDAY NIGHT/EARLY SATURDAY.

• Rjay locked this topic

Archived