joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Vendor, Blog and TV Channel Forecasts Thread

earthlight

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm shocked with how low they are going for all areas.

I think part of it is a mental idea in their head of how most snow to rain scenarios go around the city, which is a few inches that gets washed away and no big deal. Anyone worth their mettle who saw the model output today knows this won't be any ordinary few inch to rain slopfest.

As for Rich Hoffman, he's just laughable. Hard to believe sometimes he's a met, and he is doing people a real disservice by playing this down so much. He might be right about Montauk Point but for the rest of us he is 100% wrong.

I think part of it is a mental idea in their head of how most snow to rain scenarios go around the city, which is a few inches that gets washed away and no big deal. Anyone worth their mettle who saw the model output today knows this won't be any ordinary few inch to rain slopfest.

As for Rich Hoffman, he's just laughable. Hard to believe sometimes he's a met, and he is doing people a real disservice by playing this down so much. He might be right about Montauk Point but for the rest of us he is 100% wrong.

But Lee Goldberg and Bill Evans are usually the best by far out of the local TV mets...along with Craig Allen

Most LI schools will close Thursday and Friday while The NYC mayor will have me getting my dog sled ready to teach 4 kids tomorrow because I think he comes up with his own forecasts.

Most LI schools will close Thursday and Friday while The NYC mayor will have me getting my dog sled ready to teach 4 kids tomorrow because I think he comes up with his own forecasts.

iused to work in an inner city school that did the same thing. Here's the solution: quit. Go work in the LI burbs, make a lot more money, and have people that treat you with a little more respect.

Don't forget Jeff Smith. He's pretty good as well.

Well Lonnie Quinn and Joe Sobel are in the 4-8 3-5 camp for NYC; Quinn is a joke and Sobel, while a serious man, usually doesn't hype storms.Both said there would likely be " heavy" rain in the city and there would be flooding. that's not the impression I get reading stuff on here.

Was reading all the NAM responses.. but Accu Wx (WINS NYC) is saying " half foot in the city, then rain... flooded roadway concerns .. big snows well N & W (Sussex)" ... could be looking at weenie suicide watch (me included)

Was reading all the NAM responses.. but Accu Wx (WINS NYC) is saying " half foot in the city, then rain... flooded roadway concerns .. big snows well N & W (Sussex)" ... could be looking at weenie suicide watch (me included)

yes they were talking about that on wcbs 88 and 1010 WiNS, local flooding from heavy rain. The I come here and people are talking about drizzle....well which is it?

A lot of those doing the weather on local tv don"t know half as much as some of the posters on here.

They also tend to be slow to pick up on trends...the 12z ECM was like 40 miles east and a bunch colder, and the 18z GFS also came in colder. If you were basing your forecast on this morning's information (much of the weather forecast is probably made ahead of time), then it makes sense to call for only 4-8" then rain.

My forecast: NYC: 10-15", light drizzle in the afternoon going to heavy snow. 

They also tend to be slow to pick up on trends...the 12z ECM was like 40 miles east and a bunch colder, and the 18z GFS also came in colder. If you were basing your forecast on this morning's information (much of the weather forecast is probably made ahead of time), then it makes sense to call for only 4-8" then rain.

My forecast: NYC: 10-15", light drizzle in the afternoon going to heavy snow. 

that's my call. either side of 12" for the front end for NYC/LI, then dryslot/snizzle and then maybe another 2-4 inches with the backlash which im not sold on for LI east of Nassau

I was thinking 10-15" for the whole storm...but if both parts work out ideally, you could get the HECS 18-24" amounts. 

the big front end thump is a given its what happens with the evening deform band that may take LI to 15"+. I never like to hedge bets on backlash and they tend to favor areas west of me and when they get here more often than not its just glorified moderate snow

He is almost as bad as DT with how he reacts to people and his forecasts

Janice Huff literly just said "we lowered the totals based on new guidence" WTF We have to have a good thread/talk about this after things calm down I am trying to watch each station today

The other thing thats annoying ALL have used future cast which has LI changing to rain basically immedaitly and the city not long after.

This is a joke and damn straight half the posters in here know more then some of the NYC onairs (sorry Jeff and Lee stop following in-accuweather your smarter then that.)

Janice Huff literly just said "we lowered the totals based on new guidence" WTF We have to have a good thread/talk about this after things calm down I am trying to watch each station today

The other thing thats annoying ALL have used future cast which has LI changing to rain basically immedaitly and the city not long after.

This is a joke and damn straight half the posters in here know more then some of the NYC onairs (sorry Jeff and Lee stop following in-accuweather your smarter then that.)

yea their forecasting is VERY misleading to say the least and afraid they may be dropping the ball big time for ALOT of people tomorrow. and lower the totals according to new guidance? all guidance today trended towards more snow and colder solutions all the way down to the coast? who hires these people?!!

yea their forecasting is VERY misleading to say the least and afraid they may be dropping the ball big time for ALOT of people tomorrow. and lower the totals according to new guidance? all guidance today trended towards more snow and colder solutions all the way down to the coast? who hires these people?!!

With over 30 years as a hobbyist I can gaurantee you I know more than janice & that bafoon on CBS , Goldberg Im really suprised at because Jeff Smith is a good right hand & they should be doing way better @ ABC . Basically they need to bring their numbers 25-30 miles east and then they r on point IMHO

• Rjay locked this topic

Archived