northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
February 16th-17th Snow Observations

joey2002

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At this point even parts of the Valley are doing better than part of the Berks or S. VT for that matter.

I'm over 50" here and getting close to my climo.   

Just that kind of year where parts of CT are way ahead of many locations in CNE and NNE.  I think you'll make up for it some over the next month.

50.5" YTD in West Hartford. 

Amazing how one event can skew the averages. It's kind of like what happened here last year in the wake of the October blizzard. Eventually climo evens things out.

The east slope has done a lot better than IMBY. They had 20-25" last week as the death band stopped just east of my location before pivoting away. They also didn't taint in 12/26 and had 12-18" and did better than I did in the 12/29 event. I think the east slope is near 60-70" so far, maybe even pushing 75" in a few spots.

Just an awful stretch of luck for the West Slope, Taconics, and the Capital District of NY.

26.8" for ALB including 13" in 4 days right after Christmas and 10 events < 1" (lots of dying lake effect).  Ouch.  That should help some people who are only around climo to feel better.

How about upside down measuring?  The other half of my yardstick is somewhere in the snowbank from whence it was stuck.

I prefer the heavy wet paste jobs.  Trying to measure in 25 mph winds gusting to 50 is ridiculous anyway.

If its 18" no problem, That stiil was the best pic of all, I think it was back in 2010 a poster from NJ took a pic of his snow measurement and the yard stick was upside down........ :lol:

My ruler at a 90° angle came up with an average of 1.5". Brisk and rather miserable when looking into the wind. Time for sledding with the kids after lunch.

Yeah, just the eyeballing things, it looks like a 1-2" deal around here at least. I think it's really the blowing snow that's making the advisories necessary now.

If we threw out the extreme outliers from 12z yesterday the system behaved as modeled.

Jerry yeah.  Same story though one model locked in on it the others followed.  Sadly the one that locked was the GFS so it was a little overamped.  Others were too dry, Euro overshot for 1 run but not too bad.  Pretty typical.  The surprise was the RGEM/GGEM they were pretty terrible up until later yesterday.

We've been close to a blowout #1 a couple of times.  This one over performed vs expectations a 3-4 days ago but sans the CCB, is a bit of a bummer.

Still though near 20", 4", and this one probably ends up 6-9" anyway....30+ on the cape in 7 days not bad.

Its a real b**ch measuring, I am literally walking around to like 10 spots, Snow board ftl in this weather

Same thing here. Snowboard absolutely useless. Heavy snow for a while here. Band is finally moving out. Average of 3.5'' measured from spots in protected area and not including the 1'' yesterday, which was easy to measure on the board. Max gust today 38 mph. Temps 19.6 F.

Archived