joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 8th-9th Snowstorm/Blizzard Event Observations

WeatherFox

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went outside to walk the dog 20 minutes ago and got some photos from here in Southern Westchester as well as a measurement. First, my obs:

-SN

30.6/30

5.75" total

post-475-0-54717900-1360363608_thumb.jpg

post-475-0-94067700-1360363616_thumb.jpg

post-475-0-95516300-1360363629_thumb.jpg

post-475-0-68794100-1360363637_thumb.jpg

I'd like to see radar ramp up a bit to the west/southwest to get the 18-24" totals. It looks like the deformation band hasn't formed yet, and that will be the real story tonight. 

Is this the back edge of the coastal as it pulls away?  Will all we be left with is the remains of the storm from the west?  No blizzard or 2" snowfall rates?

I dont panic easily because im a vet of many storms but this shrinking snow coverage closing fast from the west (NJ) isnt stopping but coastal flow is pinwheeling around LI and not moving west towards NYC. to say the least VERY disconcerting

http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?product=NCR&rid=dix&loop=yes

we are likely to get the shaft here...too much wasted QPF and the real heavy panel on the NAM is the area that just missed out to the east - 4-6"

I'm sure it has to do with the lack of snow to our west and sunset (though probably still through cloudy skies) piercing through. 

Yup.  Saw it while out for a walk in all this storm's splendor.  It was the dry slot/gap here in Sussex as the sun was going down.  Got brighter out than it had since sunrise.  So damn cool.

Nobody on here complain.  I don't give a rat's arse what Baaaah-ston gets. I'm happy for them.  It's a snowstorm and been snowing since 8AM up here and will until midnight when I'm prancing around like a kid at midnight with a fresh microbrew in my hand.

We've waited too long.  It's here. 

Ultimate NJ screwjob. Will we even get 2".

I think we will, have to wait for the deform band to develop. I really advise you at this point to log off the boards, don't look at the radar for the next couple of hours and watch a movie, have a few drinks...otherwise this is torture for the central jersey folks. 

I think we will, have to wait for the deform band to develop. I really advise you at this point to log off the boards, don't look at the radar for the next couple of hours and watch a movie, have a few drinks...otherwise this is torture for the central jersey folks. 

Somewhere a solid band is going to develop when the area over PA merges in, right now the HRRR says thats somewhere between Queens and WRN Suffolk after 02-03z.

Now I know how Philly and DC often feel. I'm happy for Boston though, the pics and totals are going to be incredible.

I have never seen a storm where the rain/snow line here was a veritable slinky.

Me neither. I did not foresee this. Glad to see you're doing well in the snow department, though. 

The CC is pushing back west rapidly through Suffolk and into the Nassau border. Hopefully this is the end of the warm tongue. 

Archived