joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 8th-9th Snowstorm/Blizzard Event Observations

WeatherFox

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is just crazy that at this stage warm air is actually ADVANCING again. I guess the meso models were onto something with the warm nose that fought its way back in. Still thinking we make it to 12" but every hour we keep this warm nose it gets more likely we end up getting relatively in a shaft zone.

Don't think we'll even be close to 12 on the south shore..lucky to get 6 later tonight..big downer

So this is it, got less than an inch, now it's very light. Wow great storm and the stuff over PA is weakening.

yep,. we'll have to rely on the deformation band later on....all the models showed areas southwest of nyc as the gradient zone...liking my call from earlier this morning 

Zir0b, on 08 Feb 2013 - 08:48, said:snapback.png

I think at this point with the trend of a later phase, the big amounts for the city are becoming increasingly unlikely. I'd probably go with 6-10 for NYC, 8-12" NW (should benefit more from whatever falls into this afternoon not associated with the CCB) Unfortunately places to the west and especially southwest look to perform the worst in this region, there's going to be a sharp cutoff with the CCB not being tucked into the coast like the Euro and NAM were showing yesterday. Amounts in this region look to be 4-7" southwest of EWR, and dropping off to around 2-5" around TTN. 

My guesses

TTN- 4.5"

EWR- 7.5"

NYC- 9"

LGA- 11"

JFK- 10" 

OKX -12" 

HPN- 13"

Going to adjust these #s and add more specific locations after looking at the 12z NAM. Using the city as a midpoint, you can expect amounts to increase rapidly as you had east, and likewise decrease rapidly as you head west/southwest. Also models tend to be way too generous with the precip on the western flanks of the CCB, there's likely to be an area of subsidence direct west of the heaviest qpf, which should be immediately west of NYC...

TTN- 2.5"

EWR- 7.5"

MMU-6"

NYC- 9"

LGA- 12"

JFK- 14" 

OKX -17" 

HPN- 15"

And some specific locations

New Brunswick - 4"

Marlboro- 6"

Perth Amboy- 5"

Fort Lee- 10"

Springfield/Wesfield/Scotch Plains 6-7"

Islip - 20"

Just back home to RP.  347/25 east from Port Jeff was a wreck.  Did not see a single plow the whole way. Roads were all hard packed.  Definitely people out driving who shouldn't be but maybe had to be.  10 MPH crawl.  Couple of cars getting stuck on the local hills up here.  Very heavy snow on the trip but has "lightened up" a little now.  Eyeballing about 4-5" here.

Lights have flickered twice in the last 5 mins.  No DirecTV. Assume dish is pasted.

Huge flakes out here at the moment.

Moderate snow in College Point right near Flushing Bay, can barely see LGA across the bay, so it's probably about 1/2 mile visibility. Measured 1.2" from noon to 5pm, much of that probably since 2 or 3, bringing the total for the day to 1.6" including the snow and sleet this morning before the rain. Would guesstimate at least 0.5" since 5pm. Large snowflakes. 

Archived