• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Feb 8th-9th Do We Finally Get A Coastal?

dryslot

Kudos to those who saw this potential... I was skeptical given the fast h5 flow as depicted earlier this week, but as TT said, the gradient slackens by Fri-Sat.

SNE sitting in the sweet spot 84 hours out...

We can all read model solutions, but at this point, what are the more likely flags at this point: a more coastal-hugging track, or a more progressive OTS solution?

A more progressive solution IMO due to fast northern stream and large high to our north.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not bad for an ensemble mean!

Do you have the spread ??     There's a product that shades the spread, and that gives a clue as to which way things may correct.  If the mean is centering a position ...where ever it is centered, but the "shading" is fanning NW, that means there are a few members closer than the mean, than there are member further away.  

January 2005 had that, where the 96 hour lead had the storm in the mean OTS, but there was spread back to the coast, and we all know what happened in that one! 

I got boned in Acton while everyone else had a party -

i think as Will alluded to earlier the biggest concern at this juncture is that the southern stream just manages to escape too far east. 

the other option on the table would be the northern stream really digging like crazy and yanking this in, but i think the overall look doesn't favor that right now. if i were watching for a miss it would be that the timing just doesn't quite work and we have something that escapes east from hatteras and bombs south of Nova Scotia instead. 

i think as Will alluded to earlier the biggest concern at this juncture is that the southern stream just manages to escape too far east. 

the other option on the table would be the northern stream really digging like crazy and yanking this in, but i think the overall look doesn't favor that right now. if i were watching for a miss it would be that the timing just doesn't quite work and we have something that escapes east from hatteras and bombs south of Nova Scotia instead. 

not saying it's going to miss east - just saying that is what, i think, would be the cause if this fails. 

Northern stream is motoring along so that chance of it really digging wanes

It's interesting ... could also be a chicken/egg thing ...  I mean, the GFS may not have had as much lead ridging over the Atl, because it was not seeing/detecting the southern stream presence, yesterday.  Now that it is, it rolls a bit more out ahead and there we go - Fascinating.  

Yes and this is a good point... you can actually see the GFS underforecasting the influence of the southern stream s/w using a drop/dt sense. 

http://www.atmos.albany.edu/student/kgriffin/maps/dprog/F000/500vort/namer/500vort_namer_dprog.html

note that the s/w feature in question for this particular system didn't even exist until around 48 hours out on the GFS, located at 30N 130W.

You can see its importance as you move forward in time... providing a weak but broad region of vorticity that initiates convection across the southeast (blue contours are upward vertical velocity).

http://www.atmos.albany.edu/student/kgriffin/maps/500vort/500vort_namer_loop.html

Archived