amirah5
Early Spring Banter Thread

IsentropicLift

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Accuweather

Accuweather:
The New York City metro area appears to be near the southwestern edge of the snowstorm with all or mostly rain for Philadelphia to Washington, D.C.
However, where the storm develops and slows its forward speed could push the heavy snow area either farther west toward New Jersey and southeastern New York state, farther south and east over Long Island and Cape Cod or possibly even farther north and west over northern New England and eastern upstate New York.

Which previously banned poster is mikemurph?

Just saw this childish post and sorry to break it to you, I have never been a member of this board until now. I have been reading the convos on here for close to a year and finally decided to join because i wanted to participate instead of just reading. Cook up all the paranoid conspiracy theories you want. I have done nothing to personally attack you or anyone else on this board, you are a different story

Already down to 26.1F, going to be a colder night than expected. NWS has dropped our low in Southern Westchester to 18F, with low 20s expected tomorrow night as well. I've noticed that many local ponds developed a skim of ice last night after partially melting, and will fully freeze with temperatures in the teens tonight. Snowpack is still alive on north-facing lawns and in wooded areas, though south-facing and heavily trafficked areas are bare. 

Already down to 26.1F, going to be a colder night than expected. NWS has dropped our low in Southern Westchester to 18F, with low 20s expected tomorrow night as well. I've noticed that many local ponds developed a skim of ice last night after partially melting, and will fully freeze with temperatures in the teens tonight. Snowpack is still alive on north-facing lawns and in wooded areas, though south-facing and heavily trafficked areas are bare. 

With your elevation you might drop into the single digits..

26.6 here and burr windy. What a waste of good cold in late Feb. Just a few widely scattered spots of snow remain on the shady sloped areas and of course, the plowed snow piles. Still have two on my front lawn.

So, where are all these posts bashing SNE and hoping for all rain for them in the feb 22nd thread? They must be there, right? Oh i know. Maybe they got deleted. Yeah, that must be it.

L.O.L.

I can't think of anyone here who wants SNE to get a rainstorm out of spite. It's frustrating watching another event on the sidelines and them being under the gun once again, but that's what happens in a Nina-like pattern with bad or no blocking. Climo happens for a reason. And yeah, I couldn't find any posts even close to what was mentioned over there.

I can't think of anyone here who wants SNE to get a rainstorm out of spite. It's frustrating watching another event on the sidelines and them being under the gun once again, but that's what happens in a Nina-like pattern with bad or no blocking. Climo happens for a reason. And yeah, I couldn't find any posts even close to what was mentioned over there.

Yeah we may joke about it in banter threads, but what went on wasnt remotely close to what was claimed.

As far as wind is concerned, this year has to be a record breaker by some metric. It has definitely been one of the most consistent things this winter.

Not true. There have been many high wind events, but wind climatology suggests that Dec and Jan have both been below average in terms of wind. Even this February won't even come close to being a record breaker. Avg wind speed at KISP is 11mph for the month. There have been times in the 70's and 80's where February wind speeds would average 13,14 even 15 mph.

December 2012:

sig995_wanm_201212.gif

January 2013:

sig995_wanm_201301.gif

You can find this data here: http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/societal-impacts/wind/mean/2013/1

This seems like banter, but as long as we're on the topic, I HATE the NYC/PHL forum split.  There are great posters in each forum and it's a real PIA to keep going back and forth on discussion and obs.  The split can definitely not be justified based on "vast" differences in climo.  The New England thread covers Caribou and Stamford for gods sake!  More importantly is the vast expanse of NJ, with some areas closer to NYC, others to PHL.  It would be interesting to put the split up to a vote.  I suspect most will say they prefer the split based on regional pride.  

In my opinion the New England board should be split into SNE and CNE/NNE, Caribou, ME has virtually nothing in common with Stamford for weather, and yet they are together. I usually post both in NYC and New England, since technichally I'm in the region of New England forum, and the mets there usually offer a more detailed level of analysis than that found here, however, much of it is irrellevant to me, and the NYC forum is much more connected to my location, although I sometimes do a bit better than most on here due to being NE of the city, and sometimes can be just cold enough to avoid the dreaded rain(the blizzard being a prime example, all snow here while the city rained for most of the day) Think NYC and Philly should remain split, but perhaps an easier way to crossread the forums could be implemented(not sure how it could be or if it could be done, just a suggestion.)

-skisheep

In my opinion the New England board should be split into SNE and CNE/NNE, Caribou, ME has virtually nothing in common with Stamford for weather, and yet they are together. I usually post both in NYC and New England, since technichally I'm in the region of New England forum, and the mets there usually offer a more detailed level of analysis than that found here, however, much of it is irrellevant to me, and the NYC forum is much more connected to my location, although I sometimes do a bit better than most on here due to being NE of the city, and sometimes can be just cold enough to avoid the dreaded rain(the blizzard being a prime example, all snow here while the city rained for most of the day) Think NYC and Philly should remain split, but perhaps an easier way to crossread the forums could be implemented(not sure how it could be or if it could be done, just a suggestion.)

-skisheep

Re: New England, i agree.  I used to live in white plains a few years ago, and I really enjoyed the NY Metro forum.   The New England forum, by comparison, has a good collection of red tags, but the tone of the forum is way more colloquial... Cliquey, even.   Instead of saying, 'Tolland gets buried, its Kev gets buried'... If you know the reference and where he's from, great.. But  this not exactly what youd want if you were trying to appeal to the uninitiated or forum noobs... Its not what Id call 'inclusive' in its tone.  And the banter is usually way out of control in non-banter threads......  The New England forum covers way too much diverse real estate.   I could see splitting it into even 3 sections, let alone one.

Down to 6" of snow on the ground in Port Jefferson as of earlier this evening...just 5" left at Upton as of the observation today.  Snow is really nothing more than icy crust at this point...very hard to put the ruler through to the bottom.

Archived