• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Early Spring Banter Thread

IsentropicLift

Coastal storm signal on the Euro ensembles near the end of the 6-10 day. We'll have to

watch for the potential of heavy rains and strong winds should the low track far enough

west near the region. The GFS ensemble mean is also on the same page.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Coastal storm signal on the Euro ensembles near the end of the 6-10 day. We'll have to

watch for the potential of heavy rains and strong winds should the low track far enough

west near the region. The GFS ensemble mean is also on the same page.

attachicon.gif12zECMWFENS500mbHeightAnomalyNA240.gif

attachicon.gif12zecmwfens850mbTSLPUS240.gif

attachicon.gif12zgfsensembles500mbHeightAnomalyNA240.gif

The 18z GFS has this storm has a hybrid system.

These threads have gone so dead with the dead-on normal pattern here in April. Not a single post in almost a full 24-hour period except for the almanac update. 

Considering all that's happened in the last day and a half, that's understandable. Weather wasn't really that important yesterday.

Guest Pamela

In 65 days, the angular elevation of the sun will begin to decline and hours of daylight will begin to decrease....

Guest Pamela

I've noticed that too how the north shore averages much more precip during the summer months. The ground here on the south shore can get extremely dry.

I don't have a rain gauge so I don't keep those records...but I can say just based on simple observation this area around Port Jefferson has been exceptionally wet during the warmer parts of the year relative to much of the rest of the area during most of the 19 years I've lived here. Thunderstorms seem to gravitate to this vicinity with a very high frequency and the only real drought I can recall here was during the summer of 2005...broken by the tremendous rains of October. I have a sprinkler system that broke down in 2007 and there has not even been any need to get it repaired so much rain has fallen here the last 5 years.

Guest Pamela

Is there any reason why Central Park averages more rainfall than nearby stations?

Central Park: 49.94"

LGA: 44.73" (-5.21") [5 miles away from CP]

EWR: 46.25" (-3.69") [11 miles away from CP]

JFK: 42.77" (-7.17") [15 miles away from CP]

A difference of 7" within the same city is pretty extreme for an east coast city, one would think the average rainfall amounts would be much closer between these stations.

Other stations are nowhere near 50 inches:

Atlantic City: 41.39"

Philadelphia: 41.53"

Washington: 39.64"

Boston: 43.72"

This is something that has intrigued me for a while now.

NWS Upton had 50.82" of rain in 2012 and their mean is now almost 49"...

http://www.bnl.gov/weather/4cast/MonthlyPrecip.htm

Guest Pamela

The exact wettest areas in the NYC metro area are hard to pinpoint because record keeping has gaps and other problems; were I to hazard a guess...I would say the higher elevations in Morris & Passaic counties in New Jersey where the average is probably in the low 50's annually.

I don't have a rain gauge so I don't keep those records...but I can say just based on simple observation this area around Port Jefferson has been exceptionally wet during the warmer parts of the year relative to much of the rest of the area during most of the 19 years I've lived here. Thunderstorms seem to gravitate to this vicinity with a very high frequency and the only real drought I can recall here was during the summer of 2005...broken by the tremendous rains of October. I have a sprinkler system that broke down in 2007 and there has not even been any need to get it repaired so much rain has fallen here the last 5 years.

The seabreeze front and storms much more often affect your area than ours. There can be something of a mini drought here in the summers when there aren't any larger synoptic scale storms around. The real front doesn't usually become a factor until you''re up around the Southern State Parkway or so. Mineola/Westbury/Garden City have been nailed a few times by these localized seabreeze enhanced storms. You can clearly see the towers going up from down here on the shore.

it's been 35 years since NYC had a temperature 39 or lower in May...it was 38 on 5/1/1978...it was the third straight may with a temperature in the 30's...1976 has the latest 38 degree day on record...1977 had snow on the 9th with a temperature of 36...

decade....# of 30's

1870's.....5 days in 5 years...

1880's.....4 days in 3 years...

1890's.....4 days in 2 years...

1900's.....3 days in 2 years...

1910's.....5 days in 3 years...

1920's.....4 days in 2 years...

1930's.....none...

1940's.....4 days in 2 years...

1950's.....3 days in 2 years...

1960's.....5 days in 3 years...

1970's.....5 days in 4 years...

1980's.....none...

1990's.....none...

2000's.....none...

2010's.....none...

I don't expect any 30's this year...

1891, 1923, 1947 and 1963 had three days with temperatures in the 30's...

The seabreeze front and storms much more often affect your area than ours. There can be something of a mini drought here in the summers when there aren't any larger synoptic scale storms around. The real front doesn't usually become a factor until you''re up around the Southern State Parkway or so. Mineola/Westbury/Garden City have been nailed a few times by these localized seabreeze enhanced storms. You can clearly see the towers going up from down here on the shore.

Those storms can put down some serious totals in a short period of time. There was one a few years ago that put down some very large hail that damaged a bunch of cars at my old office in New Hyde Park. So you can go from several inches of rain to nothing in a just a couple miles. Overall I would think on average that keeps South Shore a few inches lower for the year. (mid 40s vs 40ish.)

Archived