amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Early Spring Banter Thread

IsentropicLift

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess one of the moderators took it upon themselves to delete my thread that I started about the March 2nd potential storm. Nice. Anyway, the threat is still very evident on the 12z GFS ensemble members and the 12z ECMWF. I had put out a very well thought-out post and thought I started a nice thread. I really don't appreciate that the post was apparently deleted. If this storm does occur, I will expect an apology from the person responsible. I have on many occasions nailed storms from two weeks away, regardless of the fact that many people don't believe it can be done. Anyway, here are the latest ensemble members from the 12z GFS. Notice how many of them produce a significant Nor'easter near us at the same exact time. P002 sure would be interesting.

I don't understand how reading what a model says for 2 weeks out verbatim is someone nailing the storm. Aren't they just regurgitating what the models are showing? If it doesn't work out - blame it on the models - it if does work out which statistically is rare you can say you predicted it 2 weeks out.....

I don't understand how reading what a model says for 2 weeks out verbatim is someone nailing the storm. Aren't they just regurgitating what the models are showing? If it doesn't work out - blame it on the models - it if does work out which statistically is rare you can say you predicted it 2 weeks out.....

It is not model regurgitation as you say.  It is model and pattern analysis.  Isn't that what every forecaster does?  Many times I forecast something before the models even show what I am talking about. 

This event is another example of how the Niña pattern doesn't benefit this area: we just had two days with departures near -10F, including a frigid Sunday night  in the lower teens, and now it's raining with occasional sleet mixed in. This weekend may be another repeat: Wednesday and Thursday look cold here with 33/21 and 33/24, but then another rain/mix event arrives Friday and Saturday. 

January was the perfect example: Westchester didn't get above freezing for a week, but only managed 1.5" of snow from the cold pattern. 

This event is another example of how the Niña pattern doesn't benefit this area: we just had two days with departures near -10F, including a frigid Sunday night in the lower teens, and now it's raining with occasional sleet mixed in. This weekend may be another repeat: Wednesday and Thursday look cold here with 33/21 and 33/24, but then another rain/mix event arrives Friday and Saturday.

January was the perfect example: Westchester didn't get above freezing for a week, but only managed 1.5" of snow from the cold pattern.

The answer here is very simple. We have both a very fast progressive pattern. And long periods of the mean ridge on the west coast too far west allowing time for s/w's to amplify well before our area. Couple that with a lack of good blocking (most of the time) and lack of confluence to suppress those heights incoming storms from the west coast and your left with a pattern that we are in at least for the near future. There has actually been plenty of winter weather in terms of snow and cold, especially as compared to last season. We have however missed out on most snow opportunities and the dry and cold then warm wet pattern were in continues. Throw something different into the pattern such as an intense MJO wave ( feb 8-9th blizzard) and west based blocking ( nov storm and the next 7-10 days into early march?) and that is where our snowiest periods exist. Otherwise it's the same old story

The answer here is very simple. We have both a very fast progressive pattern. And long periods of the mean ridge on the west coast too far west allowing time for s/w's to amplify well before our area. Couple that with a lack of good blocking (most of the time) and lack of confluence to suppress those heights incoming storms from the west coast and your left with a pattern that we are in at least for the near future. There has actually been plenty of winter weather in terms of snow and cold, especially as compared to last season. We have however missed out on most snow opportunities and the dry and cold then warm wet pattern were in continues. Throw something different into the pattern such as an intense MJO wave ( feb 8-9th blizzard) and west based blocking ( nov storm and the next 7-10 days into early march?) and that is where our snowiest periods exist. Otherwise it's the same old story

Don't get me wrong: this hasn't been a bad winter for Westchester. We're above climo for snowfall, and temperatures have been about average if you include the cold November, which was part of the winter season this year, although it's not always...This has not been a repeat of Winter 11-12 by any means, a winter that lacked major snowfalls (we've had 2 this year, 17" and 8"), snowpack (we've had snow since February 8th and had light snowpack in late January), and cold temperatures (this year we had an arctic outbreak in January). 

As you say, despite a -AO, we've not realized a classic -NAO block. The NAO has been neutral most of the winter, with an offshore Pacific ridge, leading to cold air mostly dumping into the interior/mountain West and occasionally Northern Plains. And, the most consistent feature of winter since 03-04 has stayed the same: Asia has seen the lion's share of the hemisphere's cold air:

post-475-0-98054600-1361303768_thumb.gif

Archived