• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Early Spring Banter Thread

IsentropicLift

Down to 6" of snow on the ground in Port Jefferson as of earlier this evening...just 5" left at Upton as of the observation today.  Snow is really nothing more than icy crust at this point...very hard to put the ruler through to the bottom.

Impressive that you're going on 2 weeks of snowpack, especially given how this winter looked through late January. Very nice reversal.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Impressive that you're going on 2 weeks of snowpack, especially given how this winter looked through late January. Very nice reversal.

Well there was *a lot* of water in that snow...and we picked up 3.1" in two minor events since...and, most importantly, temps haven't been above 45 F during the stretch. 

I've also had constant snowpack since the February 8th Blizzard, although there are some bare spots on south-facing lawns and in heavily trafficked areas downtown....we only got 17", not the 25-30" LI had, and I've only had 1" since the blizzard. Nonetheless, north-facing lawns and wooded areas still have 3-4" of snowpack, and it's pure ice with incredible staying power at this point. 

Tonight's going to be a cold night, already down to 26.5/15. High was 36F downtown today. 

Just like 2010-11 it's almost like night and day comparing the southern and central areas of LI with the hilly north shore. We lost snowpack down here on the south shore long ago and now we pretty much just have dirty piles in the parking lots left. The L.I.E. is really the dividing line.

In my opinion the New England board should be split into SNE and CNE/NNE, Caribou, ME has virtually nothing in common with Stamford for weather, and yet they are together. I usually post both in NYC and New England, since technichally I'm in the region of New England forum, and the mets there usually offer a more detailed level of analysis than that found here, however, much of it is irrellevant to me, and the NYC forum is much more connected to my location, although I sometimes do a bit better than most on here due to being NE of the city, and sometimes can be just cold enough to avoid the dreaded rain(the blizzard being a prime example, all snow here while the city rained for most of the day) Think NYC and Philly should remain split, but perhaps an easier way to crossread the forums could be implemented(not sure how it could be or if it could be done, just a suggestion.)

-skisheep

Climatologically, NNE and SNE should be separate, since storms rarely impact all of New England severely. They generally either favor south of I-90 or north. I wasn't quite sure as to why NNE was put together with SNE-if anything they should be put with upstate NY.

There have definitely been discussions here in the past, probably from the Eastern forum days, as to how NYC/Long Island are really the transition zone between the Mid-Atlantic and New England climates, which is why so often NYC is on the cusp of major storms instead of being smack in the middle. The further east you go onto Long Island, the more longitude helps capture the bigger miller B events generally, such as the 2/8 blizzard and is a good reason why Upton's average is higher than Central Park's. Then you have the 12/30/00 and 1/22/05 type miller B's that can nail immediate NYC metro as well. The further southwest you go, the rarer that becomes, and you really notice a difference once you get down to Philly and beyond how few miller B's really impact them. So I can see there being separate forums for NYC and PHL.

Climatologically, NNE and SNE should be separate, since storms rarely impact all of New England severely. They generally either favor south of I-90 or north. I wasn't quite sure as to why NNE was put together with SNE-if anything they should be put with upstate NY.

There have definitely been discussions here in the past, probably from the Eastern forum days, as to how NYC/Long Island are really the transition zone between the Mid-Atlantic and New England climates, which is why so often NYC is on the cusp of major storms instead of being smack in the middle. The further east you go onto Long Island, the more longitude helps capture the bigger miller B events generally, such as the 2/8 blizzard and is a good reason why Upton's average is higher than Central Park's. Then you have the 12/30/00 and 1/22/05 type miller B's that can nail immediate NYC metro as well. The further southwest you go, the rarer that becomes, and you really notice a difference once you get down to Philly and beyond how few miller B's really impact them. So I can see there being separate forums for NYC and PHL.

And it's funny in the plains they have a blizzard going on ( Wichita had their second biggest snowfall on record).. And yet people hundreds and hundreds of miles apart are in the same forum

And it's funny in the plains they have a blizzard going on ( Wichita had their second biggest snowfall on record).. And yet people hundreds and hundreds of miles apart are in the same forum

The climate doesn't change in a huge way in such a small area in the Plains like it can here. We really are uniquely positioned in a zone that can get walloped in a big way when things work out-given the number of 20"+ events we've had in the last 15-20 years from PHL northeast that no one in the Plains has likely seen in their lifetimes. But the trademark is often the clashes with how soon the low develops, rain/snow lines, mesoscale banding, etc. If the idea of the subforums was to capture these variations in the climate, those lines are around where I would see demarcating them. And also, the Plains has far fewer posters than I-95 does, and it makes little sense to create a subforum for a small number of posters. In general though, subforums are better than the free-for-all it used to be and the inevitable troll/flame threads between the various regional cliques.

The climate doesn't change in a huge way in such a small area in the Plains like it can here. We really are uniquely positioned in a zone that can get walloped in a big way when things work out-given the number of 20"+ events we've had in the last 15-20 years from PHL northeast that no one in the Plains has likely seen in their lifetimes. But the trademark is often the clashes with how soon the low develops, rain/snow lines, mesoscale banding, etc. If the idea of the subforums was to capture these variations in the climate, those lines are around where I would see demarcating them. And also, the Plains has far fewer posters than I-95 does, and it makes little sense to create a subforum for a small number of posters. In general though, subforums are better than the free-for-all it used to be and the inevitable troll/flame threads between the various regional cliques.

I'll say it one more time, separating NYC and PHL does more harm than good.  I'd say more than 90% of the time a storm "of interest" to one area is "of interest" in the other.  Yes, there are certain (few) storms that crush one area and miss the other.  That circumstance will happen (rarely) no matter how you divide up the forums.   The argument becomes overwhelming when you consider that many (most?) don't live in NYC or PHL itself  but somewhere in between.  Every poster in NJ between these two cities undoubtedly has an interest in both forums.  

I'll say it one more time, separating NYC and PHL does more harm than good.  I'd say more than 90% of the time a storm "of interest" to one area is "of interest" in the other.  Yes, there are certain (few) storms that crush one area and miss the other.  That circumstance will happen (rarely) no matter how you divide up the forums.   The argument becomes overwhelming when you consider that many (most?) don't live in NYC or PHL itself  but somewhere in between.  Every poster in NJ between these two cities undoubtedly has an interest in both forums.  

JM made some pretty good points..I would keep the forums separate...Phiily / S. Jersey...NYC / N. & C. Jersey.

You can do it in this forum. Posts like this run is great or a map then a smiley face will be canned. Just provide some analysis with it.I know, not meant to be a shot at the moderators. I guess it's more a commentary on how much garabage was here before the crackdown. The comparative lack of posts is stunning. I am a reader and learner rather than a poster, so was disappointed not to have anything to read this morning!

I am one who fondly remembers when we were a combined forum. in particular, I reminisce about your fantastic pbp of late night Euro runs leading up to the Boxing Day storm...

You can do it in this forum. Posts like this run is great or a map then a smiley face will be canned. Just provide some analysis with it

You can do it in this forum. Posts like this run is great or a map then a smiley face will be canned. Just provide some analysis with it.I know, not meant to be a shot at the moderators. I guess it's more a commentary on how much garabage was here before the crackdown. The comparative lack of posts is stunning. I am a reader and learner rather than a poster, so was disappointed not to have anything to read this morning!

I am one who fondly remembers when we were a combined forum. in particular, I reminisce about your fantastic pbp of late night Euro runs leading up to the Boxing Day storm...

They were good times. Before the crackdown in this thread a lot of the discussion was arguing and banter posts though. It is definitely getting better, weeding out the bad stuff

There is almost nothing of interest on the Euro, Metfan. I think you sometimes see things that are simply not there. Big trough, but little to no energy. NE might get another coastal chance late in the period, but that's about it. I think there's a lack of posting because people realize that we are quickly running out of time. There's some on here that are still talking about the 26th...that ship has sailed long ago, but people are still harping on it and wishcasting.

The euro is alright for your area. You do see some snow but it wouldn't amount to much. .1-.25 over 6 hours won't get it done these days.

Archived