joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Early Spring Banter Thread

IsentropicLift

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"It seems to happen almost every year. Due to lack of knowledge, many people view the 0C 850 mb isotherm as a "wall" or "barricade" to rain. "If I'm north of that, I'm safe." It's just not the case. I think this is a 4-8 inch storm with almost all of it coming after 10PM as the OH valley system heads east and essentially helps form a nice deformation band on the western flank of the system. Unfortunately, this was a very complex evolution and even the Euro had problems with it. NAM output from 00z last night was a joke, btw"

Storm at sea was all over this thing.

"It seems to happen almost every year. Due to lack of knowledge, many people view the 0C 850 mb isotherm as a "wall" or "barricade" to rain. "If I'm north of that, I'm safe." It's just not the case. I think this is a 4-8 inch storm with almost all of it coming after 10PM as the OH valley system heads east and essentially helps form a nice deformation band on the western flank of the system. Unfortunately, this was a very complex evolution and even the Euro had problems with it. NAM output from 00z last night was a joke, btw"

Storm at sea was all over this thing.

It wasn't a 4-8" storm though, so he busted there. Central Long Island has had 30", Westchester and NNJ has had 15", and NYC proper has had close to 12"...he wavered a lot during the event as well, and was much too conservative on amounts. 

Can't wait for the post wed night that read "snowing harder then it did all last event" be from the usual suspects

Lol yup. I think people forgot that for a wide area 10-15 was the most nws predicting. We verified on the low end in many areas, but getting 10in from a snowstorm is nothing to sneeze at, especially in the manner it did falling in many areas exclusively on the backside. Unparalleled really at least in the past 25 years

Wow, there's a major upgrade (4DVAR) coming to the GGEM starting with the 12z run tomorrow. From Ellinwood in the main forum:

http://dd.weatheroff..._071810___00179

MAJOR UPGRADE TO THE GLOBAL DETERMINISTIC PREDICTION SYSTEM GDPS-
VERSION 3.0.0) AT THE CANADIAN METEOROLOGICAL CENTRE
ON WEDNESDAY FEBRUARY 13, 2013, STARTING WITH THE 1200 UTC RUN, THE
CANADIAN METEOROLOGICAL CENTRE (CMC) OF THE METEOROLOGICAL SERVICE
OF CANADA (MSC) WILL IMPLEMENT VERSION 3.0.0 OF ITS GLOBAL
DETERMINISTIC PREDICTION SYSTEM (GDPS), HEREAFTER REFERRED TO AS
GDPS-3.0.0. THE MAIN CHANGES OF THIS UPDATE ARE:

- CHANGES TO THE 4D-VAR DATA ASSIMILATION SYSTEM: - THE USE OF
ADDITIONAL REMOTE SENSING DATA: - AN INCREASE IN HORIZONTAL
RESOLUTION FROM 33 TO 25 KM: - IMPORTANT CHANGES IN THE GEM MODEL
PHYSICS: - AND 1200 UTC RUNS NOW DONE TO 240 HOURS AS FOR 0000 UTC
RUNS.

OBJECTIVE SCORES DONE IN DEVELOPMENT AND PARALLEL RUN PHASES SHOW
IMPROVEMENTS IN THE FORECASTS WITH MOST METRICS THROUGHOUT MOST OF
THE ATMOSPHERE, IN PARTICULAR OVER NORTH AMERICA IN WINTER. THESE
IMPROVEMENTS ARE OF AN ORDER OF MAGNITUDE USUALLY SEEN ONLY ONCE IN
A DECADE.
A SUBJECTIVE EVALUATION BY OPERATIONAL METEOROLOGISTS AT
CMC CONFIRMED THOSE IMPROVEMENTS. OTHER FORECAST SYSTEMS WHICH
DEPEND ON GDPS OUTPUT ALSO BENEFIT FROM THE GDPS-3.0.0. CHANGES
WERE MADE TO THE REGIONAL DETERMINISTIC PREDICTION SYSTEM (RDPS) TO
HARMONIZE IT WITH THE NEW GDPS, AND THE RDPS FORECASTS ARE ALSO
IMPROVED AS A RESULT, SO ITS VERSION NUMBER IS ALSO INCREASED TO
3.1.0, AND IS HEREAFTER REFERRED TO AS RDPS-3.1.0.

860703_10100538901334462_1461456529_o.jp

I can't believe how viral it went; Mike Favetta(meteorologist on News 12 Bronx/Brooklyn) posted this on my FB wall this morning and I told him that the NAM should be in there as well since it's been in left field lately. I then just cloned(pretty horribly) the "GFS" desk in Photoshop, renamed it the NAM and then did a simple Google search for "Ralph Wiggum black and white"; I just superimposed him on there and the rest is history. :)

I can't believe how viral it went; Mike Favetta(meteorologist on News 12 Bronx/Brooklyn) posted this on my FB wall this morning and I told him that the NAM should be in there as well since it's been in left field lately. I then just cloned(pretty horribly) the "GFS" desk in Photoshop, renamed it the NAM and then did a simple Google search for "Ralph Wiggum black and white"; I just superimposed him on there and the rest is history. :)

Well done

Im not impressed until you steal money from Jake and then create a meme that gets your pic in the paper.....

Joe did pay him back, right?  :lol:

I'm perfectly happy with being a (mostly silent)part of a weather meme that went viral today; this way no one will bother me and I can go on hiding underground again. :bag:

Archived