• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2013 mid-long range disco thread

Fozz

Maybe. It will probably get drier and we will dry slot and we will feel stupid for investing at all. gFS obviously has this bias. Sounds crazy but our best hope might be a stronger more consolidate low to the west that front thumps before changing over or dry slotting. This would benefit you guys more than me.

we had that 5 days before Friday's "event" and it got squashed

because the pattern has such a tendency to repeat, imho this has a greater likelihood to go further south than north in the end

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

because the pattern has such a tendency to repeat, imho this has a greater likelihood to go further south than north in the end

I wont be excited by any GFS run showing a 700 mile oblong 1012 low running across the mountains....get me a 996 low running up the apps and a 50-50...who cares about a dry slot or changeover...is there anyone who wouldnt take 2-3" of snow to rain?

Maybe, but this is a much more vigorous ns system. It's going to keep trying to bounce against the wall to the north as it approaches. 

But I have to confess that I'm probably more interested than I should be attm. Comparing 500 with the last 3 gfs runs shows why the trend is moving in our favor. I know it's precarious and full of heatbreak but like zwyts just pointed out. There is a 50-50ish feature around. Much will have to do with what happens with the clippers if front of it. They are trending stronger. Notsomuch for good snow here but kinda blowing up a bit in the atl and reinforcing the block over the maritimes. 

Here's the 12z (left) and 6z (right) side by side. See what's going on in canada? Much better block in central canada on 12z. You can see how it helps with the overall flow.

And here is 0z from last night:

I kinda agree with zwyts about just counting our blessings and cashing in "something" on the front vs ss interaction miller b scenario. At least that is simple.

However, get the primary further south and we get into a whole difference type of scenario. I wouldn't be terrible upset being on the n side of the primary and rolling the dice with the transfer....

Interesting setup. Could be the biggest storm of the year. lol

I'd almost rather the southern stream stayed away and the northern stream be stronger and force overrunning into a dome if we are lucky enough to have one.

Well, it isn't some robust southern wave but I just wanted to put out that there is definitely involvement. So, that ends up making the overrunning shield more expansive. Essentially, you get a clipper on roids' because 9/10 clippers are basically moisture-starved.

As far as the 2/8-2/12 situation, I think the full blown +WPO and slow PAC train of waves without any polar help is a possible solution but not the most likely IMO. Perhaps I'm suffering from a case of "seeing what I want to see" but I think we get a modified +WPO pattern with more PNA and a little more -NAO_east as a STJ train heads in...

The pattern is no where close to ideal. 1'' does not and will not ever do it for me.

12z has marginal 850s as well as surface temp. Should be snow onset but this is anything but something to get excited for.

Of course it isn't ideal. Nobody has even remotely hinted at any type of ideal pattern setting up this entire winter so far. But your analysis is poor. Verbatim, temp profile is fine for the most snow we've seen from a single storm all year. 

The last 24 hours has given a much better shot for us too. And the system is moving a bit faster with a cold antecedent airmass in place. 

Probably because they would bust high every time. 

One could argue that snow has become more rare than a tornado has around here...I say open up the entire book of percentages.....0.8% chance of snow on Wednesday night after the front passes at BWI.....assuming the shear and the cape are ok

Yeah, and it's been money.

Yeah its been the big teaser, had people all giddy for a big event last week based on 2 runs, then it had a nice MA storm for this Friday for a run then it disappeared. The fact that is shows nothing, really means nothing. Its not been its usual stellar self this winter.

One of the difficulties is the amount of time were dealing with. We're back to a quick moving ns w/ trough east setup. The shortwaves that come in off the pac in the nw are inherently difficult (or impossible) to accurately model. This in conjunction with differences with trough / ridge axis placement means that any model could be right or wrong right now. 

GFS seems to be better as picking up ns sw's even if their strength and timing is screwed up. I would cautiously hedge towards the gfs but not expect everything to be all wrapped up like it's showing. 

Archived