joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2013 mid-long range disco thread

Fozz

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Model mayhem. Whatever that means. Huge step in right direction at 500. Especially if you live in ne. We need a lot of help to get this to go south of us. Prob more help than we can get.

considering what the models were doing with the system last week w/in 5 days (into the Great Lakes) for it to end up squashed into near oblivion, suffice to say there's a storm on the models on day 7 and anything is possible with it

P.S. don't forget Bob what the ensembles are showing for the AO; that suggests further south

I'm with Bob about the Feb 5th storm.  I suspect it will be farther to the n than froecast by the 06Z gfs.   The NAO is still positive on the ens mean, the ridge on the ens mean does look strong enough to force the trough as far south as depicted on the GFS.  The euro and its ens mean are farthr north. Is the 06Z GFS solution possible, sure, but it's a long shot. 

I'm with Bob about the Feb 5th storm.  I suspect it will be farther to the n than froecast by the 06Z gfs.   The NAO is still positive on the ens mean, the ridge on the ens mean does look strong enough to force the trough as far south as depicted on the GFS.  The euro and its ens mean are farthr north. Is the 06Z GFS solution possible, sure, but it's a long shot. 

when the furthest south possible solution is still not even really quite far enough, honestly we would need it another 100 miles south of the 6z track to really avoid the dry slot of death, we are toast. 

lol- it's been on the map but this is the first time 5h has shown a good vort pass with moisture. I know what zwyts would say about it only being on the nam....

Well, the gfs members have started picking up on it a little.  I guess we'll see what the gfs thinks in about 15 minutes.

You know, that's lame too.  I could say every morning that it's not going to snow, and I'd be right about 98% of the time.  Or more.

you are always the most positive person here or just about so.. we all have our place on the board

I don't think we really need the models through early next week. Far western guys may back into something this weekend but nothing great is going to happen. The models are hinting at a +PNA/-NAO split flow pattern around the 10th-12th perhaps. Until then we are probably not going to see anything great for us DC guys other than the usual 0.5" crap unless we get lucky with a super clipper or something cutting off which can happen. I know Wes has already covered this. I think my feb 8th date is low probability for anything great. So if we don't score from 15-28th we are probably screwed except for a 3/1/09 or 3/9/99 in terms of something good.

I don't think we really need the models through early next week. Far western guys may back into something this weekend but nothing great is going to happen. The models are hinting at a +PNA/-NAO split flow pattern around the 10th-12th perhaps. Until then we are probably not going to see anything great for us DC guys other than the usual 0.5" crap unless we get lucky with a super clipper or something cutting off which can happen. I know Wes has already covered this. I think my feb 8th date is low probability for anything great. So if we don't score from 15-28th we are probably screwed except for a 3/1/09 or 3/9/99 in terms of something good.

HM....almost crying uncle over in the Phily thread....almost

It's not rain but it's miller b'ish that jumps right over head. Even the worst memories on the board should know what this means. 

We score wet snow up front but unless everything moves a good 100 miles south, there is going to be nothing but radar hallucinations on the backside of the departing low. 

This is not a good setup for us at all. 

It's not rain but it's miller b'ish that jumps right over head. Even the worst memories on the board should know what this means.

We score wet snow up front but unless everything moves a good 100 miles south, there is going to be nothing but radar hallucinations on the backside of the departing low.

We saw the GFS do this last week even with a faux surface low much further south. Still. I'd take a 3 hour thump if it is even possible and hope for an inch.

It's better than nothing Bob, and it's a week away.  Did you really want it to be perfect today?  

We saw the GFS do this last week even with a faux surface low much further south. Still. I'd take a 3 hour thump if it is even possible and hope for an inch.

It's worth watching without a doubt. But when we get the "mother of all model runs" we really need to remind ourselves with the history of these types of events. 

However, i suppose it's at least encouraging that the track is moving in this direction. when it first showed up it just crawled across the upper midwest. Now it's jumping the coast overhead. Oh what I would sacrifice for a -nao / 50-50 in that timeframe....

Shouldn't we take this serious because cold air is established?

Maybe. It will probably get drier and we will dry slot and we will feel stupid for investing at all. gFS obviously has this bias. Sounds crazy but our best hope might be a stronger more consolidate low to the west that front thumps before changing over or dry slotting. This would benefit you guys more than me.

I see the surface is not perfect but isn't the 500mb at 162hr where we would want to see it...south of us.

Obviously, you guys down in this region will be, as usual, very cautious with this one. But, I just wanted to point out that there is a southern stream involvement here. This is why the "clipper" is beefier than our usual (ala the crap that comes before the 2/5 system).

It's worth watching without a doubt. But when we get the "mother of all model runs" we really need to remind ourselves with the history of these types of events.

However, i suppose it's at least encouraging that the track is moving in this direction. when it first showed up it just crawled across the upper midwest. Now it's jumping the coast overhead. Oh what I would sacrifice for a -nao / 50-50 in that timeframe....

We kind of do get a 50-50. But the block is not in an ideal place. North Atlantic. And the ridge is too Far East. It is unlikely to get anything to round the base and come up the coast anyway. I think consolidated low to the west running info CAD might be best case. And we can hope it is as far south as possible.

Obviously, you guys down in this region will be, as usual, very cautious with this one. But, I just wanted to point out that there is a southern stream involvement here. This is why the "clipper" is beefier than our usual (ala the crap that comes before the 2/5 system).

I'd almost rather the southern stream stayed away and the northern stream be stronger and force overrunning into a dome if we are lucky enough to have one.

Archived