• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
February 2013 mid-long range disco thread

Fozz

Forget about it. Larry Cosgrove just cancelled winter on the east coast.

He sure did. Says over for entire southern and eastern quadrants with maybe arctic intrusion here and there.,Said move to Chicago or Minneapolis if want true winter. Ouch

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

starts Friday morning actually and, even if correct, it's a yawner

Not if you believe the snow maps.  Depending upon which ones you use, it would be close to DC's biggest snow so far.  Having said that, I don't know that I believe anything it shows.  I do, however, disagree with you about it being a yawner.  Partly cloudy is a yawner.  Any chance of snow must be taken as an opportunity.

Why do you make me do things like this, mitch? .....yawner? Hires nam is picking up on a DEATH BAND

attachicon.gifhiresnam1.JPG

Bullseye!

attachicon.gifnamprecip1.JPG

it's almost FEB and the most I've had imby is 1.2"

at first, these little events were good enough while I waited for something decent

but I'm at a point in the season where these kind of events just don't excite me anymore, that's all

I'm getting the feeling that unless we get a late season fluke (ala 3/1/09) we will be shutout this year and I'm tired of it already

yes, I'm mentally getting ready for spring I guess, especially after yesterday

at first, these little events were good enough while I waited for something decent

but I'm at a point in the season where these kind of events just don't excite me anymore, that's all

I'm getting the feeling that unless we get a late season fluke (ala 3/1/09) we will be shutout this year and I'm tired of it already

Ji is really getting to you, it's time to step away from the boards and get some fresh air. Soon your wife will be like Ji's wife and move out every winter.

I don't even know you anymore. We're through. It's over. 

I hear ya, but for me it seems to be the opposite. I feel like getting something sig. or even decent is getting borderline impossible right now, so I'll take as many of the crap systems as possible in hopes that one of them can overperform like12/05/07 or 1/04/03. Since the October fluke last year I bet we have had almost 15 consecutive events that has not surpassed 3 inches. in northern md.

Welcome to the dark (and real) side.   I'm all for optimism (fake and otherwise), but let's not kid ourselves.    Anybody that keeps saying they are happy and excited with a 1 or 2 inch clipper likely isn't telling the truth.    Yeah, at first, it was great.   But a car topper isn't going to cut it.  We're at 3rd and long here.  February is approaching...first half is probably f**ked.   That leaves us 2 weeks and then March.    We're all worried, no matter what anybody posts here.   I'm vested here...I don't care who gets pissed...I'm keepin it real.  

Welcome to the dark (and real) side. I'm all for optimism (fake and otherwise), but let's not kid ourselves. Anybody that keeps saying they are happy and excited with a 1 or 2 inch clipper likely isn't telling the truth. Yeah, at first, it was great. But a car topper isn't going to cut it. We're at 3rd and long here. February is approaching...first half is probably f**ked. That leaves us 2 weeks and then March. We're all worried, no matter what anybody posts here. I'm vested here...I don't care who gets pissed...I'm keepin it real.

A 1-2" clipper and a car topper aren't the same thing

Welcome to the dark (and real) side.   I'm all for optimism (fake and otherwise), but let's not kid ourselves.    Anybody that keeps saying they are happy and excited with a 1 or 2 inch clipper likely isn't telling the truth.    Yeah, at first, it was great.   But a car topper isn't going to cut it.  We're at 3rd and long here.  February is approaching...first half is probably f**ked.   That leaves us 2 weeks and then March.    We're all worried, no matter what anybody posts here.   I'm vested here...I don't care who gets pissed...I'm keepin it real.  

Agreed.  These piddly events are ok in Dec through mid-Jan, but they are not going to work in Feb.  Unless it happens overnight, weak precip rates can't overcome the sun-angle unless the air is really cold, and that kind of air was hard enough to come by for 3 days in January.  I watched this happen Saturday as I saw 6+ hours of snow melt while the temp was 28 - 31 degrees.

I know we have squally weather on the way and everyone is staring at a medium range filled with clippers; but, you can see the increase in the southern stream's influence starting next week on the data. While this isn't an overly cold pattern, the possibility is heightened for a front to stall in the Mid Atlantic as the STJ overrides the boundary, bringing waves of low pressure and precip. Temperatures will not look overly impressive and may not be sufficient for wintry weather until close range.

The risk is highest between Feb 8-15. The bombing clippers will help keep some confluence in southern Canada and bring periodic -NAO_east responses.

Welcome to the dark (and real) side. I'm all for optimism (fake and otherwise), but let's not kid ourselves. Anybody that keeps saying they are happy and excited with a 1 or 2 inch clipper likely isn't telling the truth. Yeah, at first, it was great. But a car topper isn't going to cut it. We're at 3rd and long here. February is approaching...first half is probably f**ked. That leaves us 2 weeks and then March. We're all worried, no matter what anybody posts here. I'm vested here...I don't care who gets pissed...I'm keepin it real.

When you and Mitch start complaining like the weenies you know we are in real trouble.

It's evolving.  I actually thought it looked pretty good heading into the end of the run.

there have been a lot of NAM runs "at the end" this year that have not looked bad, but they have all generally failed to produce the magnitude that they showed

which, by the way, is a hallmark for lousy winters (consistently great endings to model runs with nothing of substance come verification time)

Archived